Would this power a hyperion 14s? Ultra 600W ATX

It will, but without doing some mods to it, it will severely limit the power output. You really need a 24V 600W source to get max power out of the 1420i. I used an unmodded 650w pc psu with a 34A 12V rail while waiting for my 24V supply and could only get about a 2A output to a single 5s lipo pack iirc.

The watt rating on a PC power supply is never a continuous rating, FYI. It is also a combination of the 5v and 12V ( and 3v? ) outputs.

That power supply might be good for 200-300 watts in reality.
And yes, the hyperion wants 24v.

Might wanna consider this kind of setup;
https://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/my-projects/diy-24v-47a

Thanks guys, you are right on the money!
DoctorBass hooked me up with this baby

Always good to have a doctor in the house.

Cheers!

I use ATX's but only because getting meanwells in Canada is annoying.
You need two and you need to wire their yellow 12v rail together with the black ground of the second one. Then you need to cut the internal ground wires that will be connected to the metal case on the inside of the psu. Then you short out one of the main wires from the PSU, usually pin 13 i think on the large cluster that normally plugs into your mobo. I put a switch between this wire and ground, this turns on the PSU. This leaves you with a yellow and black cluster that gives you 24v at whatever amperage the 12v rails can supply amps.
Glad your problem is solved, I just wanted to provide the other solution for people stumbling on this thread looking for an ATX solution.

you can also use an older AT supply.

but you need to load the 5V side of the PSU, or you wont get much current from the 12V rail.

i used one modified to power my older 12V powered chargers.

i had to put about a 5A load through the 5V side of the PSU, or i was unable to draw more than
about 3A before the PSU would shut down. i used a pair of ceramic resistors calculated to give about 5A load on the 5v side.

both were sandwiched between large heatsinks to keep them cool. this worked great, and it's still working some 15 years later.
i have given this PSU to a friend, as i now have a Hyperion and a meanwell 24V 1000W PSU.

Jason.

Back