Front Wheel Question

WTN

1 W
The rear wheel on the Yescomusa 1000W kit has a width of 1-1/4" and is double walled. I have purchased the CST Cyclops 26 X 2.4 tire for the rear and also the front. My front wheel (800 Trek) is only 1" wide and is not double walled. Should I get a new front wheel or will that fat tire fit on the 1" wide rim. If I need a new wheel does anyone have any recommendations? I also got a pair of the Kenda thick downhill tubes.

Thanks,

WTN

That should be ok depending on how you ride. Ideally you want your rim to be about an inch and a quarter Inside on the inside measurement for a tire that big, but you should be fine with what you have.

There can be handling issues with too big of a tire on a rim, but there are advantages with that same size tire as well, so it is worth some compromise.

I've been running cyclops on 25mm (1") rims for over a year without a problem. I would prefer a wider rim for more air volume, but I'm just too lazy to screw with it. That and they are really hard to find with 35mm ID or more.

I run the Cyclops 26" X 2.4 tires on my bike, and my front rim is 1.08" outter width, so less then 1" Inner width. The tire is a lot harder to get on the front wheel. I really have to press and pry with the tire levers, but it does fit and has been working great for many many miles. I run some down hill thick tubes, so there is a less chance for a flat.

EDIT:
I went and looked and its a Sun Rynolite 6000 559x27mm rim, double walled where the spokes attach.
I probably would get a new wheel, if I were you. Trek 800 is old, and a single wall is not very strong. The ebike has a lot more weight and speed, what if you hit a bump or something in the road and that old a$$ rim taco's?

WTN said:
Wes,

Is your 1" wheel double rimmed? Does it really matter? Thanks for the info.

WTN
Double rimmed? Do you mean double walled? I've used cyclops on both single and double walled standard MTB rims from 23-25mm ID. I haven't measured the rim the motor came with but it's not wider than 1" ID. I'd love to get some wider rims up to 50mm (2") ID, but hardly anyone carries anything wider than about 33mm, and that just doesn't seem worth the trouble to me.

Yes I meant double walled. The wheel on front of the Trek 800 is an Alex 559x20 6160 (that is the type of aluminum I assume).

I guess I will try it and see how it works.

WTN

I've been running a Cyclops on a WTB 21-559/26mm wide rim for a while now without trouble. I just make sure it's seated right and stays at least 30psi or more so it stays put. It is a double wall rim but if your single wall rim is strong I don't think there should be a problem.

Gary

Back