Charging SLA 48v pack - 2 chargers at diff rates

chopper_elec

100 W
Hey all,
I'm still enjoying the thrills of ebiking and I Realised I have 2 chargers for the SLA 48v pack, One of which is a 130w unit (1.8 amp charge rate) where the other has 200w (3 amp charge)

Is there anything bad about charging the 48v 12ah packs at 3 amp? Both of them are SLA 48v chargers.

Well, your title asks a different question than your post. I came to answer the title quesiton, which is that sure, if you are charging different batteries at different rates it works, but it will take as long as the longest charge to finsh the whole pack.

I used to charge CrazyBIke2's SLA with a (I thnk) 3A on two of the batteries for 24V, and 4A on the other two. I didn't have separat charging inputs so I unplugged the SB50s I used to series the packs and charged thru them.

As for the question in your post itself, what rate you can charge at, it says on the batteries, usually, what the max charging rate is for various ways of charging them.

I'm sorry about that, for some reason i've been a bit caught up mentally and can't seem to get my words out properly.

I received 2 SLA chargers, one was bought from ebay which had a charge rate of 48v at 1.8 amps. The other SLA charger came with my ebike kit and that has a charge rate of 48v at 2.8 amps.

I felt unsure about charging the whole 48v 12ah pack at a rate of 2.8 amps so I was just checking for a bit of reassurance. I think its best that I will stick with the slower charge rate. Might help prolong the batteries.

I'm really hoping for my assets to sell (my other car and a race bike) so I will be able to get the new ping battery.

3 amps is just about tops for safely charging 12 ah size pack sla's.

I'd use the slower charger anytime you don't need to charge fast though. The slower charge should result in less wear and tear on the batts in the long term. I believe it's more or less similar to discharging, more amps is harder on it.

I don't see any problem with using the 3 amp charger when you do need to get charged faster though. A trade off that is worth it vs sitting around waiting even longer. If you only discharge 6 ah as you should be doing, the 3 amp charger should get you going again in 2 hours.

Back