What kind of battery box

Ive got 2 36v 20amp ping battery's and they fit rather nicely into the frame of my bike, but im left wondering what should I be attaching these with. My first ~350 KM's were done with them duct taped to the frame. As far as stability is concerned they did well, they stayed where i put them and didn't sag or anything bad like that. The two biggest problems i see are the duct tape isn't solid and it doesn't exactly look cool. Plus the silveriness of the duct tape attracts unwanted attention. So my question to all of you, what can you make a battery box out of when you don't have a welder and metal working tools. Should I really care, or just reinforce the sides with plexyglass and tape the heck out of it.

Maybe some hose clamps to attach whatever you pick to the frame. Or I think they sell conduit clamps at hardware stores. IIRC some people on this forum used those.

I don't have pings, but I was looking at the dimensions, and some would fit very nicely in surplus ammo cans. I use small ammo cans for my dewalt battery boxes. All you need to mount them is a drill and some plumbing pipe mounts. Look on ebay or a surplus website for the dimensions of various ammo cans. You'll undoubtedly find on that fits your batteries. They're steel and water tight, and you can easily paint them to match your bike.

I used a plastic toolbox, with 4 recessed head bolts stuck out the bottom (covered in heatshrink) to keep it from sliding around on the rear rack.

You can make nice holes in plastic with a soldering iron.

i use garden fence wire to wrap round & hang batteries from the top cross-bar. its metal so will never brake and you can form it into whatever shape you need. you can get plastic coated green wire to protect from shorts (or just bag your batteries). cover with black cloth if you want to hide the diy look

Back