Crystalyte HS / HT maximum nut specify torque ?

bio

10 mW
How much NM specify torque can i give the nut from a Crystalyte HS / HT with 12mm axle.
When possible give numbers for oiled and not oiled thread´s n nut´s.

1 ft pound less than it took to strip it. There is a lot of variation on the quality of the fit on axle threads and on the nuts provided. I'm not sure anybody can say more than x ft/lbs didn't strip my individual axle and nut. I wish axles were grade 8 stuff so you'd only strip nuts. My experience, the axle strips.

Personally, I never use a big long handle wrench. I'm pretty strong, so a short wrench gives me plenty of leverage, and I try like hell to back off in time if I feel that first hint of smearing threads. Try to use a nice tight fitting nut. A very slopply fit will strip out easy as pie, especially if you have a 12 mm axle. I like to tighten pretty tight, wait about 5 min, then try for that last tiny bit tighter.

What he said. also , i remember dogman telling us to only use a 6" adjustable wrench. that will limit the tightness to a tolerable level. go easy on the side with the wires, that part breaks if u overtighten. Ive broken three axles, there (during hard riding, after tightening too much, and using regen is another risk factor. ). another factor is the torque arm, if you have a good arm , you wont need to tighten the nuts all that much, thats when i quit breaking the axles, when i made proper huge thick drops.

edit i have two blown hs/ht motors for sale, also two spare brand new axles.

hydro-one said:
another factor is the torque arm, if you have a good arm , you wont need to tighten the nuts all that much, thats when i quit breaking the axles, when i made proper huge thick drops.

+1 Just use good Torque Arms, one on each side, and you don't have to worry about tightening your nuts.

I have my now given 85 NM (63 ft/lbs) without oiled for more friction force.

Is this too much for the wire side?

I think I don't get much more than 40-50 ft pounds with a small crescent.

No matter what you give it, the nut will loosen if you have a gap under your washers, tilted washers, or such problems that c washers help with.

I use 35 ft-lbs (48 Nm) on my 14mm axle nuts with a Nylon insert locknut. Haven't moved since I put them on. I have a Red permanent marker mark accross the Nut, washer and torque arm to make sure it hasn't moved. I use a real torque wrench so theres no guessing or fiddling with it. Like the others said, You don't have to worry about it being to the max tightness if you have torque arms. I could probably get away with 15-20 Ft-lb's on my setup.

It's amazing that this is not known.

I've been using 45 ftlbs (61Nm). There is some loosening which occurs, so I would like to use more but am afraid.

I learned the hard way working on cars that I cannot reliably estimate torque. At least if I do try higher torques and go too far, I'll know what is too much.

I use 55 Ft. Lbs. with a Nylock, torque arm and lock nut behind it all. Knock on wood, so far so good.

Back