Inclinometer Power Control

Inclinometer Power Control

Here's a cheap digital level:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DigiPas-DWL100S-Screw-Electronic-resolution/dp/B0016ZLUUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=diytools&qid=1213263583&sr=1-1#moreAboutThisProduct

Any electronic genius out there who could take the output of that and use it to drive a "pedelec substitute cruise control" whereby the angle of your bike to the horizontal determines the power input of your motor? If the front wheel is higher than the back you get progressively more power; if the wheels are level you get a pre-determined power level and if the front wheel is lower than the back (downhill) you get no power (or regen is triggered)?

What d'ya think?
Is there more suitable/adaptable kit out there just as cheap?

Paul,

Haven't seen that one before, thanks.

Something like this might be easier to work with: http://www.zc-sensor.com/en/Main/products.asp?CateID=6&CateName=Inclinometer

Not sure feedback from slope, alone, is what you need, though..

Slope input to Cycle Analyst; Eagle Tree Logger et al, would be nice....

Fechter's current-based control might be more appropo...

Things like a speed-bump could have interesting results, using a throttle based on pitch.

TylerDurden said:
Fechter's current-based control might be more appropo...

Things like a speed-bump could have interesting results, using a throttle based on pitch.

URL for Fechter's current-based control, please?

Surely, speed bumps could be ironed out by a long enough time-sample?

I could just see Link hitting that speed bump over and over and over.

recumpence mentioned in a recent post that his RC ESC is constant velocity. Surely using such a control would be easier than rigging up something with an inclinometer. Besides, going on a cobblestone road vs. smooth, fresh asphalt would lead to variable results when going from the flat to an incline.

I might be wrong, or at least it could probably be accounted for somehow, but it seems like acceleration on flat ground would create an adverse feedback loop. As you accelerate, the angle of the acting g-forces moves in the same direction as if you were on an incline, resulting in more power, thus acceleration, reading as a steeper incline... The constant velocity cruise control sounds like it would accomplish this better.

dogman said:
I could just see Link hitting that speed bump over and over and over.

It wouldn't be a problem for me. I'm rarely at anything other than full throttle. :p

But, yeah. There'd be runaway problems the minute you accelerate. It would think you're on a steep hill and feed more power to the motor, which makes you accelerate, which makes it think you're on a steep hill, etc. etc. etc.

However, if you hooked it up to your speedo so that it tried to keep the motor at the right RPM for a given throttle level it would work.

It would be a nice way to to unleash the real power in some speed capped controllers and still comply with the 32 kph limit. The law is usually stated as 32 hph on the flat. :) That normally means slow down on hills. this would allow 32 kph on hills if the motor is capable.

OneEye said:
I might be wrong, or at least it could probably be accounted for somehow, but it seems like acceleration on flat ground would create an adverse feedback loop. As you accelerate, the angle of the acting g-forces moves in the same direction as if you were on an incline, resulting in more power, thus acceleration, reading as a steeper incline... The constant velocity cruise control sounds like it would accomplish this better.

I just tested mine - pushing it along a straight edge on the workbench... You have to accelerate it quite strongly to get a reaction, but it does then misread.

But what about wheelies? You're gonna pop up on the back wheel and the motor will just be fed more and more power flipping you over.

You'd have to have a trip switch that limits the current if you go over a certain angle.

Hehe, you could rig it in reverse to always keep you at the same angle. That's one long wheelie.

Back