tire replacement options

slacker

10 kW
the schwalbe big apples on my surly big dummy are ready for replacement and was wondering if anyone could suggest a tire comparable in terms of wear,ride,puncture resistance.cost is not a issue as i am thinking of commuting on it this spring to work which is 16 miles one way so reliability is of utmost importance.mostly bike trail and suburban roadways.all opinions wecome.thanks.

If you want puncture proof and are OK with 2.0", look up schwalbe's marathon plus tires.

like the hookworms but also wondering about schwalbe crazy bobs,anyone have personel experience with them?

If you don't mind the extra weight, take your old tire, trim off the "rim wires" and place the old tire within your new tire then the inflated tire tube. It gives added puncture protection. I did this to my rear tires as they are more likely to become flat. I had 2.0 marathon plus and didn't like the feel of the road as I added more weight to the back. I made the move to a wider big apple tire and it's night and day when loaded down. I'd say stay with the wider tires for the added suspension. :wink:

Schwalbe big ben, big apples or maxxis hookworms are all great choices. Some have also used the cst cyclops with success

Hookworms aren't the most flat resistant tires. Not like the marathons. And i'll agree, the marathon plus's don't have the best ride, but they are good for lower speeds and pretty much as flatproof as it gets for a bike tire.

If you go with hookworm 2.5's, there are tire liners that can be used to help prevent flats. I wouldn't run some without tire liners.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Tuffy-tire-liner-26x2-0-2-5/dp/B001J8HGM2

These seem to get good reviews.

Been pretty happy with the Michelin Pilot Spot 2.3" tires. My rear one is almost bald after 1,600 miles, but I like the performance and looks. Only 1 slow leaking flat in that time despite riding through plenty of broken glass that accumulates on the under-used bike paths around here.

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-x2-3-reflective/dp/B004JKEQB6

2.4 CST cyclops are great, $13 each. I have 600 miles on mine, the front looks almost new the rear looks about 60%

thanks for all the feedback.has anyone heard of schwalbe returner 26inch tires,found them on calhoun cycles website.pretty cheap at 20$ a tire.what do you all think.i might pick up a pair and be a guinnea pig and post about them.unless someone can steer me to a better alternative.still considering crazy bobs.

After fiddling around with tires and still getting flats, I ended up with the Specialized Armadillo Crossroads. Toughest tire I've ever had. No flats/leaks of any kind. They wear like iron. I stopped carrying a spare tire kit because they've been so good.

like the look of the crossroads but a little worried about ride quality but that may be because i am used to the cushion of the big apples.still wondering if anyone knows anything about the schwalbe returner that calhoun cycles advertizes on thier website.would appreciate all feedback,thanks and happy v-day.

I run Kenda 1.95" street slicks with the heavy duty thick "slime" inner tubes - The tires appear much wider than 1.95" as they "mushroom" out at the tread and with the thick tubes have been bullet proof for me - also very affordable too!

Hookworms and CST Cyclops FTW on 5 ebikes. I never had tire flat for long time!

I have flat resistant taper, heavy duty tire tube and combine along tires. Love it!

Itchynakers: Agree that Armadillo crossroads are about the toughest tires I've used. It took my wife and me about 4-5 years to wear out our first sets. (Wear out is not totally accurate in that two of the 4 tires showed more signs of dry-rot than of wear.) I've since moved to wider tires front and rear from the 38mm armadillos. My wife still uses her crossroads with her front suspension fork, but appreciates using a wider semi-slick on the hardtail rear for ride quality. Our two takeoff spare armadillos may well die of dryrot before she needs a new front.

Hookworms, Armadillo, Marathon - all are pretty good. Big Apples are thin by comparision. I would lay down a layer of either Stop Flats 2 or Panaracer FlatAway Tire Liner + a bottle of Slime for extra flat protection.

Flat free since August 9th, 2011, KF :lol:

outbackhack said:
Been pretty happy with the Michelin Pilot Spot 2.3" tires. My rear one is almost bald after 1,600 miles,

I'm sorry. I don't believe this. There's no way a tire that big would only last 1600 miles. Unless your skidding it on every stop.

Back