Cycle Analyst v3 Full Throttle

Merlin

1 MW
Hello,

can someone tell me how i can check out that my CA v3 really gives full throttle output?
Iam not sure, because i think it is a difference between CA connected or not.
i know the sound of the spinning wheel (without load) on full throttle...
but with CA connected it is not the same...it is slower...

so how can i check why theres no full speed with CA v3 connected?!

thank you,

Seems like a simple solution would be to create two testing parameters, with CA and without. Then measure your top speed between each. However, this test is hard to truly conduct outside, too many variables. Even if you ride on the same path in the same direction wind can play a pretty heavy part in how fast or slow you go.

For all you know, you may have low tire pressure, or something funky with your battery pack going on.

Can you probe the voltage the CA produces? Then compare it to the max voltage of your throttle.

bowlofsalad said:
Seems like a simple solution would be to create two testing parameters, with CA and without. Then measure your top speed between each. However, this test is hard to truly conduct outside, too many variables. Even if you ride on the same path in the same direction wind can play a pretty heavy part in how fast or slow you go.

For all you know, you may have low tire pressure, or something funky with your battery pack going on.

I tested on Bikestand without load :) but thank you.

amberwolf said:
V3 has a page (use left or right arrows to reach it) that displays throttle in vs throttle out voltage, so you can compare them easily.

If they do both show the same, you could then use a multimeter to measure and make sure.

If they don't show the same, then there are throttle settings in the CA setup pages to rescale the output to what it is supposed to be. See Teklektik's setup info, linked from the wiki page:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Cycle_Analyst_v3_Setup

I found it. but now iam more confused. (with throttle connected to Controller i see no voltages)
now i tried to connect the throttle direct in the CAv3
just the Direct Plug in from CA goes into my Lyen Controller. No PAS No Throttle (to Controller)connected.
Throttle is on Full Throttle 4,3v
But at 3,5v it is allready Full Throttle (Motor doesnt spin faster)

Without Throttle theres 0,90v and the Motor starts spinning at 1,40 volt

I read 70 sites from the BETA Release Topic and find:

justin_le said:
With the V3 CA devices, the functionality of the CA now includes not just throttle limiting, but actually driving the controller's throttle signal directly, and this is NOT possible if there is a diode inline with the throttle signal. So, if you have a CA-DP compatible controller and want to use the CA-V3 device as your new throttle, you will need to do a bit of modification. Here are 3 approaches:

#1) Swap pins around so that the green wire from the CA-DP goes into the controller's regular throttle input. You can either do this at the CA-DP plug end as shown below, or you could do it on the controller end:

View attachment 4

-Justin

I asked Justin about this and he told me:

Yes, if you want to use the CA3 for PAS or torque control with a thun sensor or take advantage of any of the throttle conditioning, autocruise, and rate limiting etc. then you will need to hook up the CA's throttle output (green wire in the 6-pin connector) to the controller's throttle input, and connect your handlbar throttle to the CA3.

I have not made any modification. Just plug the handlebarthrottle into the CA.
I can modifiy the deadzones from throttle. Thats cool.
But can someone explain me what i can setup more when i do this mod and how i can setup these?

Autocruise...?!
Rate Limiting? What does it mean? Limit the Ampere using Throttle?
what else can i do? what benefits i have ?

hope someone understand what i mean..and good morning from Germany :p

thank you.

(I have a lyen 12fet and a 3540)

Merlin said:
amberwolf said:
See Teklektik's setup info, linked from the wiki page:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Cycle_Analyst_v3_Setup
I found it.
Throttle is on Full Throttle 4,3v
But at 3,5v it is allready Full Throttle (Motor doesnt spin faster)
Without Throttle theres 0,90v and the Motor starts spinning at 1,40 volt
I have not made any modification. Just plug the handlebarthrottle into the CA.
But can someone explain me what i can setup more when i do this mod and how i can setup these?
You say you found the Installation Guide but that you have not made any throttle modifications - which are specifically called out early in the instructions. Your throttle is also clearly misconfigured - again, this is the major point of the installation guide.

Please download the installation PDF file and follow it carefully without skipping or modifying steps. This will walk you through the modifications and throttle adjustments. No meter or specific knowledge of the throttle or controller voltage ranges is required. The Advanced Features PDF has information about additional throttle modes and PAS - after you have completed the basic installation steps.

Autocruise is a feature of B22 which is not yet formally released. There will be an update to the Installation Guide after B22 is released.

hello,
with modification i mean to seperate the green cable from CA DP to Throttle Input -> Controller.

Thats what i DONT have done.

I Just Plug my 3Pin Throttle INTO the CA v3.
The CA v3 goes with the DP Connector to the Controller. (No other Cable goes through the Controller)

I can see the little throttle slider left that goes up on throttle,
i have modified dead zones
(
IN 0,9v idle - 4,3v full throttle
OUT 1,38 idle - 3,5v full throttle
)

Motor starts to spin at 1,4v ....at 3,5v motor spins full speed.

My question was: did i have to seperate the green cable from CA DP to Controllers Throttle IN to have more benefits?

(excuse my for my schoolish english. my english is 20 years ago :p)

On your controller throttle plug, pull the green wire out of its housing. On your controllers CADP plug, pull the far right wire, IIRC on a lyen controller it may be yellow or blue, it will NOT be black or red. Replace the wire you pulled from the CADP connector with the green wire from the throttle.

Hello Farfle,
i know and read about this modification with the green cable.
but what are the benefits on that modification?

as i wrote:

My question was: did i have to seperate the green cable from CA DP to Controllers Throttle IN to have more benefits?

:wink:

It is a mandatory thing, the throttle limit wire on the cadp pin on the lyen controller goes through a diode and a resistor that drop the voltage. If you run directly into the controllers throttle line, you bypass all that.

Back