Longtail cargo bike project

agniusm

1 MW
Yet another frame. This time going amberwolf style. Went to a scrap yard, picked up 7 chinese, russian bike frames, few old steel bed ends, 65kg of steel. This is my catch:

20130628_155440

Today i felt inspiration and went to my workshop to do some chopping chop-shop style. Here is what i came up with:
20130629_175210

20130629_175218

20130629_175222

20130629_181206

20130629_181217

The system i am thinking about:

500/1000W 6t MAC motor on 20" 80mm wide rim with 3" tyre
Front - 24" 56mm rim with 2.5" tyre
12FET infineon - 40A
20AH <10C 16S lifepo4 with built in BMS
3A DC converter
6A onboard charger
Single speed chain drive

Still need to finish bottom cage for stiffen the bike and electronics components for stealth;
Make 10mm dropouts and weld them on;
Order woven wooden basket;
Look for short cranks(dont know if thats what they called) for pedals as there is little space from the pedals to the cargo cage;
Figure brakes

I think this bike would be able to carry family of three, two adults and a child or some cargo. I have another cargo bike coming slowly but remote steering is a job and half to get it right, in the mean time this is simple, nice side project. Anyway, when i am done with these, i will have 4 fully custom bikes on my account:)
If you have any suggestions, get them down
Cheerios

P.S. This the second time i am posting in wrong thread for some reason, probably need to have less windows opened.
MODS, please move it to technical section for me. Sorry for inconvenience.

Done. Looks cool, love seeing what you are up to.

No doubt you aren't finished, but it looks to me like it's weak vertically, right behind the front seatpost. Needs some gussets or diagonals to haul lots of weight on that platform.

dogman said:
Done. Looks cool, love seeing what you are up to.

No doubt you aren't finished, but it looks to me like it's weak vertically, right behind the front seatpost. Needs some gussets or diagonals to haul lots of weight on that platform.

Sure it does. Ran out of bed ends and time, good enough for 5 hour work I think :) Waiting for monday when scrap yard will open

Had overnight thought and will rebuild rear fork from larger tube.
I was wandering if anyone knows what largest tire will allow MAC motor clearance for belt drive system?
At the moment the thinking is to use 80mm rim with 4 1/4" tyre
Also what shortest cranks available for reasonable money?

You should consider selling those torque arms. They are the first I have seen that you could get with the pinch bolts.
otherDoc

OOO! I'm liking that a lot now!

Hi. Question: i will need to guide the chain under the back frame as there will be a battery and all electronics box in there. Can i use jockey wheels for that purpose:
3-5.jpg

It says it has sealed bearings, 7075Al?

Could someone suggest a stem riser/extender? It would be good to get 180-200mm rise. Semi integrated headset bearings, 1-1/8 inch.
Thanks

You need the bars higher? I just found it easiest to use a bmx handlebar, that has the rise built into it. Like in the earlier pix.

A long fork steer tube will allow lots of spacers though, if you don't cut the tube shorter. Looks like you have some length there now.

I don't know of any threadless handlebar stems that have much rise in them. If that fork is threaded, then the stems for comfort bikes are the tallest I have seen. Hunt one on ebay I suppose.

The only one i found that will do is SATORI EASY UP STEM RISER. I wander if they are reliable and worth a try.
EDIT:
OK, bit the bullet and ordered it along with 70mm 10degree Token stem. Will see how all mates together.
Now thinking on the other hand easy up stem sounds good if there is more people using one bike. QR type adjustment of stem height is a good thing.

Reviving this one. 20S battery, BT bms, and kls7030s. Made a box for all the stuff. Will have marine plywood deck and aluminium box:

TgCgDcy.jpg

WVI1gA5.jpg

DHGGRdU.jpg

tbf7wMf.jpg

ZXcO5wQ.jpg

YfO43G1.jpg

I see that you still have the skillz! What kind of batteries are those?
otherDoc

Hi mate. Was away for long time but i am back :). Those are the batteries which is the reason i was away and two kids i made :) They are no solder/weld modules i developed for 18650 cells and inside LG 2500mah 6P (www.18650.lt)
Its hard to forget hard learned skilzzz :D

Got the deck made. Was sketching up aluminium body of the cargo box. Not as easy to make it fold with minimal weld lines but i am there. Just need to print template and get weldin bendin.

YGcHNPJ.jpg

That is a quality template! Are you saying that your weld free battery holder is not available?
otherDoc

Are these modules and kits actually ready for sale. They look brilliant!
otherDoc

So i went the hard way with aluminium. Just forced myself and threw a foldable chassis in sketchup. Designed with minimal welds but still there is some. Had to force myself in advancing of welding aluminium. Turned out alright.

0AQ1f5V.jpg

8hQ75p8.jpg

H9qnlpx.jpg

O7kMCH3.jpg

P37DI2V.jpg

oZarODH.jpg

CkgPHGm.jpg

Have set up my BT BMS and all worked from the first time, nothing blew :)

Revived my project as family needs transportation for summer, going to lakes etc.
This has removable box deck so i can mount what i want. Had no time to finish cadilac style big one so made smaller one just for time being. It runs vented x5303 with kls-7230s.
I have a lot of parts 3d printed. Its a fantastic toll every bike builder must have. Battery is made eith my NESE kit, 20S7P, VTC6 24AH.
I have tested it and it polls mad. 2 things i need to address. 1. Flex in the frame. Being that long does not help. I will triangulate from the deck to the head tube. 2. Motor axle clamps. Made them too big and they dont clamp well. Photos:

EauayrZ.jpg

OW9A1cZ.jpg

qR4iTLN.jpg

3d printed tail light

6iWhvHZ.jpg

zr7tjke.jpg

ovgl3Z9.jpg

xq9QXrw.jpg

Wonderful quality work, as usual!
otherDoc

Back