Hyperion EOS 1420i Firmware/software problem: cell voltage!?

doc007

1 kW
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my brand new Hyperion EOS 1420i.

Basically the firmware is not updating to 5.86. Without this firmware I cannot run the software (the firmware I have now is not backward compatible with the new software).

So I'm wondering if someone has the older EOS Control & Data Suite that would work with firmware version 5.5.

I am running windows 7 64-bit.

Any other ideas on how to get this running (ie getting the new firmware to load) would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

WOW can you believe it. Just when I was about to give up on this thing. I just tried it one more time and it worked.

I'm not sure what I did since I tried so many combinations based on the troubleshooting guide.

All I can remember last was that I deleted the usb driver. restarted. plugged in the usb (with the charger OFF). ran the firmware software. selected the com port and the install file. hit "program". THEN turned ON the charger.

Firmware was injected nice and smooth. the way it should have been originally!

Hope this helps anyone else having issues with version 5.86.

Now to install the software... keep your fingers crossed!

Yes doc007 the Hyperion 1420 is a fussy little thing. I had difficulty installing the latest software and suddenly it just worked. This too was with Windows 7. Good luck with yours but be sure to have a backup charger during the "Fussy" times.
otherDoc

Thanks glad to know it wasn't only me!

What charge settings are you using?
These are the packs I'm using: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15521__turnigy_5000mah_4s1p_14_8v_20c_hardcase_pack.html

Spec.'s:
Minimum Capacity: 5000mAh
Configuration: 4S1P / 14.8v / 4Cell
Constant Discharge: 20C
Peak Discharge (20sec): 30C
Max Charge Rate: 5c
Pack Weight: 528g
Pack Size: 139 x 45 x 44mm
Charge Plug: JST-XH
Discharge plug: 4mm Bullet-connector

I have brand-new packs that I want to make sure are balanced well.

Right now I am planning on charging each pack individually. Then I will connect them in 20s2p. Discharge by riding. Maybe bulk charge or balance charge depending on how well the cells are matched.

I'm not sure if this is related. But I've found that my computer won't find the hyperion 1420i if they're sharing the same ground. When I use a 2 prong converted 360 psu it connects fine, but if I switch to my in series hp psus (with ground) the pc won't see it.

I use my 1420 to charge a 12S A123 AMP20 pack on my trike.It complains occasionally about either the main power lines or the balance lines. This is even after I replaced all of them and tested with a Knight VOM and 2 different Cellogs. They test out fine! I use the Thunder 1220 for most of my charging. It works fine with no fuss.
otherDoc

My charger is ONLY seeing cells 1 and 2 on my 4s pack. I charged my pack with no problem before. I dont get what Im doing wrong here. I checked this pack with my cell log 8 and all the cells (1 to 4) show up.

Any ideas on what the deal is here? EDIT: changed out the balance board and it recognized all the cells!!

NEW ISSUE:

When I set up the charge settings (via computer) and then initialize the "charge operation" in the "Control settings" it just takes me to the log viewer and doesnt do anything.

What's going on??

Ok Figured it out! For anyone else who may be having an issue:

I determined that there is usually a delay between the Hyperion and the computer. So sometimes if you change a setting from the computer it will not register right away. I noticed that the "COM # HyperionEOS1420i NET3" sign changes color in the top left corner of the screen. I assume this may have to do with the connection link. I notice that when the background behind this text is white the Hyperion will take commands from the computer well.

Also, when you get to the "confirm cell #" portion of the charge. I try to click it right away. If you wait too long it will time out. If your still having trouble you can confirm the cell number on the charger and it will register to the computer and start the logging function.

So far the charger is working great and the cells are looking good!

Back