E-crazyman conroller upgrades and BMC hubs

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
andys   100 W

100 W

E-crazyman conroller upgrades and BMC hubs

Post by andys » Jul 15 2008 5:45pm

I have seen a lot of activity here recently on trying to get the e-crazyman controllers to work correctly with Kolmorgon and other high rpm motors like the BMC geared hub motors. I would really like to run one of those on my bike with EV-tech's geared BMC hub. Have the techies here figured out what mods are needed to the controller to get it work right with the BMC/Puma hub yet?

deVries   1 MW

1 MW

Re: E-crazyman conroller upgrades and BMC hubs

Post by deVries » Jul 16 2008 2:21am

I'm trying to do the same thing with the Texas EV-BMC motor and need a controller... now.

I want to run it at 48v w/LiPo. I don't need range, trips will be 6-12 miles RT, so I want to know if a 10ah battery will be enough for...

Quick acceleration off the line or to avoid traffic dangers by acceleration while already in motion at 10-15mph.
I don't need high speeds. 25mph is plenty for me.
I do want to climb steep hills and want assist to get off starts under heavy loads w/trailer or load pointing uphill & starting from a stop.

Do I need a 20amp hour battery for the above?

What controllers will work?

Thanks!! Great forum here...

tostino   10 kW

10 kW

Post by tostino » Jul 16 2008 5:14am

andys wrote:I have seen a lot of activity here recently on trying to get the e-crazyman controllers to work correctly with Kolmorgon and other high rpm motors like the BMC geared hub motors. I would really like to run one of those on my bike with EV-tech's geared BMC hub. Have the techies here figured out what mods are needed to the controller to get it work right with the BMC/Puma hub yet?
Hey Andys, Knuckles actually has figured out how to get it working with the Puma hub. However, you will need to go with a 36v battery setup. You will currently still run into the frequency limit at 48v.

All that is needed is a 24mhz resonator, lowering the LVC, and bridging R1&R2 with another resistor to lower the safe operating voltage.

He sent me a controller with all those mods, and it works perfectly at 28v with my BMC motor (non hub, 109 k/v).

Good luck with your build!

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Jul 16 2008 8:24am

There's a completely new model from ecrazyman that seems to be working at higher voltages:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... f=1&t=5306

Tostino couldn't get it to work, but the wire colors aren't the same as other controllers so some wire swapping is necessary.

This one works OK on the bench, but has not been road tested with a BMC/Puma yet.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

Knuckles   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Knuckles » Jul 16 2008 3:14pm

I am on it. But let's take it slow and test this in a logical way.
Now this is not the end.
It is not even the beginning of the end.
But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.