Since I have a second, even bigger, St Bernard now, I'm going to need a bigger trailer
. So, since I also wanna have a trailer
I can just clamp onto a regular bike for stuff on occasion, I've been keeping an eye out for other trailer
stuff I can use.
Yesterday when out with Bill at Goodwill I found another kid's bike trailer
, this time wiht 16" wheels (probably crappy ones, but I can fix that if needed). They aren't hollow push-to-release axles, but solid with a pin thru a hole at the inner end to secure them to the trailer
for quickrelase/folding up/storage.
is itself too small for either of the dogs, being even smaller than the one I started with to make Tiny's trailer
above, but it can easily become my small-cargo trailer
for other purposes, when I don't wanna haul around the big one for just a few things that I know won't fit on the bike itself. That means that I can then safely further modify Tiny's trailer
to become heavier-duty and a bit larger, without worrying that I won't have a trailer
handy at any particular moment should I need one (haven't all summer, but sometimes things come up).
I thought I took pics, but they're not on the phone. (I've ahd that problem a few times lately and I still don't know if it's a phone problem or just me not operating it correctly and/or misremembering). I'll have to get some later during disassembly for defect-checking.
So, on hte subject of bigger and/or heavier duty:
I've been planning to switch to the automotive ball-hitch for the existing trailer
, but hadn't found all the parts in my stuff to do it, all at the same time. I finally ran across the balls again, as I have two 1-7/8" ones to use on the bike (and Delta Tripper, if I resurrect it), but now I can't find the part for the trailer
tongue. I bought it the day of the fire last year, intending that week to be doing the mods to the bike and Hachi's trailer
to make it work that way, but obviously never getting that far because of what I came home to.
So, I've got more digging around in my stuff to do before I just go buy another stupid tongue, but it will probably come to that. I guess then I'll have one for another trailer
if I run across it eventually.
I've dug out the tubing to use for the new front end on the trailer
(Y-bar / A-frame and tongue support), and the ball-mount on the bike itself, so that is ready to be built as soon as I get the tongue, or find mine.
The ball mount for the bike will just bolt on between the cargo pods, at axle-height behind the rear wheel, in place of the existing clamp-on-tube that's there for the bike-frame-clamp style hitch the trailer
presently has (which really isn't meant to handle the weight/etc. of the stuff I do with it, and I'm surprised it's never failed).
I may have to experiment with the placement/etc of the actual pivot point, but I can hope that my first try will just work.
I have not yet quite decided to use powerchair brushed geared motors and wheels to help push the trailer
yet, but I've considered it a few times, cuz they can much more easily handle the weight than the wheels these things came with. I haven't broken a wheel yet on there, but I fully expect it will happen at the worst time when loaded up with one of the dogs in there.
AFAICR the gearboxes have clutches in them to disengage the gears from the motor, so at least it will mostly freewheel when I don't need to use them. The only big catch with using them is that each motor/gearbox/wheel is probably 20lbs or so, and I would need to use two. :/