Simple Hybrid eTrike-eBike

DrkAngel

1 GW
I recently was watching a thread about how to build a hybrid eBike ... using a generator.
After shaking my head at various complex, impractical, EXPENSIVE possibilities I decided to put my mind towards the project.
As always ... I believe ... "Simpler is better!"

Doable!

Parts list:
2 - 48V capable brush motors (OP requested 2 motors to handle cargo etc.)
1 - 96V capable brush controller ... might be tough to find?
1 - 96V "buffer" battery (109.2V full charge)
4 - 30-50A rectifying diodes
1 - 1200-1500-2000?w 110V AC generator w/4 cycle engine

96V will run 2 - 48V brush motors in series - 48V through each motor but requires 1 - 96V controller
(I doubt a typical 48V controller placed between motors would work ... perhaps a top quality or cheap crap one might do it?)

Actual generator Voltage output may vary but many generators have voltage "trim" or "governor" adjustments between 110-120V
4 diodes will "full wave rectify" 110V AC into DC with a minimal <1V voltage loss ~109.2V DC

Higher generator output might be usable with directional diodes protecting battery from generators over voltage.
Battery replenished by charging through its BMS, (most provide over voltage protection).

Dependent on the size of the 96V battery, this might be classified a hybrid or a series hybrid.

Single 48V Motor From 110V AC Generator

A simple 2:1 wound transformer would work nicely and allow a single motor, brush or brushless, to run at ~54V.
Combined with the rectifying bridge, (4 diodes), and buffered with a small 48V battery, should provide nice clean DC to the controller!

4 Cycle-Stroke Generator?

Why a 4 stroke engine?
50% more efficient.
No oil mixing.
1 half the toxic pollutants of a 2 stroke!
Sadly it does weigh and cost a bit more, but if used a fair amount should be more eco2.

A generator meeting CARB compliance represents an additional degree of eco-friendliness.

The way I understand it, the big benefit of brushless motors is that they can accept a wide variety of voltages. You can start out at 36V, and the popular 9C brushless hub has been run at 72V-111V successfully.

That being said, if you know ahead of time exactly what you want to do (certain there will be no future voltage changes), a brushed motor is not a horrible choice, and sometimes a brushed system makes the controller much more affordable. Efficiency is a wonderful thing, it's the gift that keeps giving. However, non-hub systems allow a lot of options, and the higher efficiencies of a non-hub system could off-set some of the in-efficiencies of brushed components.

That being said, avoid high amps through the brushes. How high?...every system is different, and every hill is different. Add a CycleAnalyst, so...at least then when you fry something, you'll know where the cliff is for next time.

Grampa Chas (over at VisforVoltage) used a brushed 24V motor @ 36V, driving a 3-speed IGH on a delta trike that was geared for 17-MPH top speed. It was a great hill-climber, according to him.

Bridge rectifier available as single component.
Less than $5
1000V 50A Bridge Rectifier
1000V 35A Bridge Rectifier

$(KGrHqJHJDgFG8yjfvygBR4MFibU5Q~~60_12.JPG

Converts AC electricity to full wave DC.

Should add a capacitor for sensative electronics, audio etc.

Back