!st timer here, have a couple of questions

ebike11

1 MW
Hi there, its nice to join your site!! I can across it while looking for information on ebikes.

I am a first time user of an ebike and actually I am in the process of assembling my ebike kit onto my bike.
However, I have a couple of questions.

1. In the kit, there are left/right brake levers with wire/connection. Must I install these or are they optional?
I know for safety reasons they are important, but I like my higher quality brake levers and I believe the ebike levers just cut the power
when squeezed.

2. Also Im worried about my magic pie motor. My bike uses a 9-sprocket assembly, but there is a 6 sprocket assembly that came attached to the magic pie motor(500W)
I don't see how I can switch sprocket assemblies. Is it possible?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the newbie questions!!!!!

Welcome to ES.
Please fill in your location in your profile.
don't need your street address just a country and maybe a state or?

Answer to 1. no you don'thave to use them. Poor quality as you said. They cut power.
2. You cannot move a cassette to a freewheel hub. There are 9 speed freewheels but won't fit without spreading the swing arm and spacers. If aluminum do not try.

Dan

Thanks so much for the reply!
Ok I wont use those brake levers.

Also, my bike uses 9 speed sprocket and Id like to use a 500W direct drive motor. Are my options limited for this set-up?

yup, ditch the ebrakes, no real need for them, specially when you have superior one's on the bike already

the 6 speed is all you need, hell, a single will do fine, just adjust the derailleur max/min screws to prevent the chain from jumping off the smallest gear and it's all good... with power on demand, you really won't use the other gears anyway.

oh, and welcome to ES ! 8)

If for some physical reason you must use the 9-speed, and it is a cassette, there are a few motors that can use them. The FusinMotors "1000w" geared hub can; you can read a little about it in my Fusin 1000W build/test/review thread, and in my Delta Tripper trike thread (where that kit presently resides).

1. Besides just cutting power they also engage regen braking, which will be of considerable help when trying to stop from a high speed. Optional? If you have cruise control set how well do you think you can stop the bike in an emergency with the motor trying to keep you moving.

Thx guys for the responses!

Att he moment though, my main concern is the motor. I have a magic pie motor (direct drive) that came with a 6-speed cassette, but my bike originally uses a 9 speed cassette. The sprockets on the motor are fixed and cant be removed or swapped (dont know the correct terminology for this).

Will I still be able to use the magic pie 6 speed or do I need to buy a whole new motor/wheel again?? :cry:

Thanks!!!

YOu can remove the 6 speed, yes...but you will not be able to fit the 9 speed. it works on a different system

the 6 speed has the freewheel part built in to it, where the 9 speed has the freewheel as part of the old wheel/axle assembly..Totally different.

the Derailleur and chain are the ONLY parts that you can keep.
You can NOT use the 9 speed on the Magic Pie..( unless you happen to have a lathe and cutting tools and want to re design and build your own complete side cover of the motor and probably re design the rear frame of the bike as well)

Only option is to use the 6 speed. BUT ( if you want accurate index shifting) , you you will have to buy/find a new gear change lever too as the 9 speed indexed lever will not shift the gears the correct amount.

If you happen to have combined brake levers and gear shifter..then you need to then buy separate new quality brake levers too...so buy them with built in brake switches. or build your own

http://www.instructables.com/id/Add-a-brake-light-switch-to-a-bicycle-brake-lever/

You cna get switches that fit directly to the brake caliper unit itself, so you can keep your old brake levers if they are separate units to the gear change

You may find that the 9 speed chain has to go too. It might be too narrow to work on the 6 speed sprockets. It should be possible to put the 5-7 speed width chain on your bike, or not, depending on the make of the derailleur. Your gears won't index that good either, the gears are closer spaced on the 9 speeds.

Best solution is go buy a cheap bike to motorize. one with a 6 or 7 speed rear end. The 7 speed cruisers are very good.

Ditch the brake handles. If you have cruise control or regen, and want to use them, then you can rig the switches to your existing handles if you are good with tools.

We need some special freewheels, 7 speeds but using the narrow chain, and closer spacing for those that have the 9 speed bikes.

Yes, you are probably correct about chain width..I should know that I had that very same issue the other day. but that was a single speed freewheel and the 7 speed chain woudl nto work on that..I thought the width of 6-7-8 was all the same ..no idea on 9 speed though or 10.

Peter White makes a clever device for converting shift ratios.
shiftmate_main.jpg

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/shiftmate.asp

Uses two different diameter ajacent wheels that convert the various index systems to work together . May have something that will work for a 9 to 6 speed. Narrow chains should work on most any freewheel as the cogs are roughly the same thickness and inside dimensions on chain has not changed much. Track cogs are thicker. Just see if the chain will ride on the freewheel and if so I would give it a wirl.

That is interesting, but only a very small part of the problem here.
There is no way to fit a 9 speed cassette on to the Magic Pie..the MP needs a screw on freewheel type and I have nto seen any 9 speed screw on types. Also pretty sure the width would be too great to fit the frame.

NeilP said:
That is interesting, but only a very small part of the problem here.
There is no way to fit a 9 speed cassette on to the Magic Pie..the MP needs a screw on freewheel type and I have nto seen any 9 speed screw on types. Also pretty sure the width would be too great to fit the frame.

Hi Neil

I am suggesting leaving the 6 speed freewheel in place and using the rest of the parts on the bike. Getting the rear derailleur to index through the 6 gears via a pull ratio adjuster will work if the ratio is correct. May need to go to a ultra 7 speed. Agree, the simply way may be the only easy way, adjust the stops and forget about index. Not sure if it will fall in between on some gears and hunt for gears constantly. Friction levers! :cry:

Thx for all the advice guys Im a noob at all this. I think Ill try and get at least the 6 gears working.
I seen some 6 gear Shimano shifters on ebay. I didnt think about gearing at all when I bought my MTB. Its too late now as I cant afford another bike. So hopefully I can get this set up ok

So if I used just one gear then I couldnt really pedal all that well, if needed

I dont understand why the manufacturer made the magic pie and sprocket as one unit? As far as I can see, there is no way to take off the sprocket. If the sprocket gets damaged then it will be more headache.
Also could it be that the magic pie motor turns the sprocket itself ? The sprockets arent turning when I try and rotate them by hand

If you hold the motor so it does not move, the sprocket should turn backwards ( anticlockwise) but not forwards. Exactly same as the originl bicycle wheel.

If it does not, you have a problem so you will need one of those tools to remove it.
If it is not turning freely backwards, it could be because it needs a spacer between it and motor.

You guys have beed very helpful thanks!

So since everything is new on the wheel/motor should I just use that 6 speed sprocket and get 6 speed shifters or attempt to take off the 6 gear sprocket and put something else on it that would work better with my 9 speed??

Hi Ebik11

I would try and keep the 6 speed freewheel also. Your 9 speed derailleur may but most likely will not work 100% with the 6 speed shifter. Your spanning three generations of shifting products, and the derailleurs travel and shifter pulls are closely mated to the specific cog spacings. Sounds like Ypedal has been through this. :wink:

If you have one of the six speed shifters handy, try it and let us know if it finds some or all the gears. You can always use a friction shifter.

Hi guys
Well, from previous advice from members on here, I think Ill try the 6 speed that came on my 48V500W motor.
I also read about the poor quality of Champion rims, which is what I sadly have, but at least I wanna try it since its my
first ever ebike and Im excited to get powered up :D

Here are a few photos of the motor and hardware;

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/cxr9v

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/7i1qm

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/ln7ik

I noticed on both sides there are 4 pieces of hardware. A long hollow metal cylinder tube, a washer with an extended edge, another washer without an extended edge and the nut.
Do I put one washer on the inside and the other on the outside of the frame with the nut, or do I keep the washers stuck together?
Also, what are the metal tubes for? On the sprocket side, the tube goes in all the way until you cant see it anymore. On the other sida though, it only goes in a little ways then stops. Just a little confused by tis.

Thanks for your patience with an ebike noob!! Appreciated!!

Back