19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
rollingfieldz   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 9
Joined: Oct 14 2019 8:07pm

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by rollingfieldz » May 09 2020 12:47am

Does anyone know where to find 24 inch rims wide enough to handle a 3 inch tire? The Dominator looks perfect but everyones out on this side of the atlantic.

Tolkano   100 W

100 W
Posts: 153
Joined: Dec 29 2017 4:28am
Location: South Australia

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by Tolkano » May 09 2020 1:12am

rollingfieldz wrote:
May 09 2020 12:47am
Does anyone know where to find 24 inch rims wide enough to handle a 3 inch tire? The Dominator looks perfect but everyones out on this side of the atlantic.
https://www.remerx-rims.com/super-jumbo-rmx-8533-4

There are these @ 33mm/40mm

I think cyklonebike uses them on their ebikes you might be able to get them there

rollingfieldz   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 9
Joined: Oct 14 2019 8:07pm

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by rollingfieldz » May 09 2020 1:35pm

Thank you. Looks like a great rim. Like the other fat 24 inch rims, have not found an easy place to buy one yet

rollingfieldz   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 9
Joined: Oct 14 2019 8:07pm

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by rollingfieldz » May 10 2020 4:40am

Anybody have any opinions or info about these? Just how terribly heavy are they? spoke holes size? will the chrome flake off? Can i spray paint them black?

https://www.treatland.tv/new-RADAELLI-I ... .35x19.htm

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6983
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by Rix » May 10 2020 2:13pm

rollingfieldz wrote:
May 10 2020 4:40am
Anybody have any opinions or info about these? Just how terribly heavy are they? spoke holes size? will the chrome flake off? Can i spray paint them black?

https://www.treatland.tv/new-RADAELLI-I ... .35x19.htm
I believe these will be way heavier than the standard 19x1.40 aluminum rim as they are made of steel. I you want a "Chrome" look rim, this rim will be better. http://www.prowheelracing.com/yamaha-pl ... 19-silver/

Or get the black one. http://www.prowheelracing.com/yamaha-pl ... -19-black/

rollingfieldz   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 9
Joined: Oct 14 2019 8:07pm

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by rollingfieldz » May 11 2020 1:49am

Thanks Rix, I would go with those black ones except they are kinda pricy. But looks like steel is real heavy: "Steel is typically 2.5 times denser than aluminum."

john61ct   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6359
Joined: Dec 18 2018 2:06pm

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by john61ct » May 11 2020 7:31am

To get the same strength as steel, the aluminum needs to be a bit thicker, so the final weight savings vary by the skill of the design engineer

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6983
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: 19

Post by Rix » May 11 2020 9:41pm

john61ct wrote:
May 11 2020 7:31am
To get the same strength as steel, the aluminum needs to be a bit thicker, so the final weight savings vary by the skill of the design engineer
Adding to what John said, because the aluminum rims need to be thicker, it wont be 2.5 times lighter. I can tell you the 19x1.40 prowheel racing hoops weigh in at 2 pounds. So if you get the weight of the steel rim, you can figure the difference.

synics   10 W

10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Apr 03 2020 11:18pm

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by synics » May 13 2020 10:33am

Anyone here try running the 100/90-19 Continental Conti Twinduro TKC80 FRONT TIRE on either front or back? I'm thinking of using it for both.
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (24.97 KiB) Viewed 1231 times

User avatar
minde28383   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 561
Joined: Apr 02 2010 7:11am

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by minde28383 » May 13 2020 2:02pm

I did not try this one but this is big heavy tire - 100/90-19 compared to say 3.0x17

in progress

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6983
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by Rix » May 13 2020 3:10pm

synics wrote:
May 13 2020 10:33am
Anyone here try running the 100/90-19 Continental Conti Twinduro TKC80 FRONT TIRE on either front or back? I'm thinking of using it for both. s-l500.jpg
I plan on running the 120/70-17 and the 150/70-17 versions of this tire on the front and rear of my Duke 390.

synics   10 W

10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Apr 03 2020 11:18pm

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by synics » May 15 2020 1:21am

Rix wrote:
May 13 2020 3:10pm
synics wrote:
May 13 2020 10:33am
Anyone here try running the 100/90-19 Continental Conti Twinduro TKC80 FRONT TIRE on either front or back? I'm thinking of using it for both. s-l500.jpg
I plan on running the 120/70-17 and the 150/70-17 versions of this tire on the front and rear of my Duke 390.
I'm assuming a non electric version, lol. I actually saw that exact bike in a Target parking lot today. It nice.

I'm running a 19" back rim so my options are limited. But do you think that conti 100/90-19 would work as a good rear for me as opposed to a 3.5x19 sr241? Or even a 2.75x19... 60/40 off road vs road. I'm looking to get something that can handle the weight of the QS273, protect the rim, and perform well off road.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6983
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by Rix » May 18 2020 11:39am

synics wrote:
May 15 2020 1:21am
Rix wrote:
May 13 2020 3:10pm
synics wrote:
May 13 2020 10:33am
Anyone here try running the 100/90-19 Continental Conti Twinduro TKC80 FRONT TIRE on either front or back? I'm thinking of using it for both. s-l500.jpg
I plan on running the 120/70-17 and the 150/70-17 versions of this tire on the front and rear of my Duke 390.
I'm assuming a non electric version, lol. I actually saw that exact bike in a Target parking lot today. It nice.

I'm running a 19" back rim so my options are limited. But do you think that conti 100/90-19 would work as a good rear for me as opposed to a 3.5x19 sr241? Or even a 2.75x19... 60/40 off road vs road. I'm looking to get something that can handle the weight of the QS273, protect the rim, and perform well off road.
If you want a tire that is slightly more street friendly than the Shinkor SR241, look at the Shinko 2.75-19 SR244. Its about 8 oz heavier than the SR241 same size but it trully a 60/40 Road/Offroad tire. The 100/90-19 Conti is a big tire, and way heavier than the tires listed above, Going to come in at around 4" wide.

synics   10 W

10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Apr 03 2020 11:18pm

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by synics » May 18 2020 12:55pm

Rix wrote:
May 18 2020 11:39am
synics wrote:
May 15 2020 1:21am
Rix wrote:
May 13 2020 3:10pm
synics wrote:
May 13 2020 10:33am
Anyone here try running the 100/90-19 Continental Conti Twinduro TKC80 FRONT TIRE on either front or back? I'm thinking of using it for both. s-l500.jpg
I plan on running the 120/70-17 and the 150/70-17 versions of this tire on the front and rear of my Duke 390.
I'm assuming a non electric version, lol. I actually saw that exact bike in a Target parking lot today. It nice.

I'm running a 19" back rim so my options are limited. But do you think that conti 100/90-19 would work as a good rear for me as opposed to a 3.5x19 sr241? Or even a 2.75x19... 60/40 off road vs road. I'm looking to get something that can handle the weight of the QS273, protect the rim, and perform well off road.
If you want a tire that is slightly more street friendly than the Shinkor SR241, look at the Shinko 2.75-19 SR244. Its about 8 oz heavier than the SR241 same size but it trully a 60/40 Road/Offroad tire. The 100/90-19 Conti is a big tire, and way heavier than the tires listed above, Going to come in at around 4" wide.
I'm talking about using the 100/90-19 Conti FRONT version as a back tire though, which should be less than 3.5" wide. I've read too many bad reviews about the 244, and they don't make it in the right 19" size for my rim.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6983
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by Rix » May 18 2020 10:16pm

synics wrote:
May 18 2020 12:55pm
Rix wrote:
May 18 2020 11:39am
synics wrote:
May 15 2020 1:21am
Rix wrote:
May 13 2020 3:10pm


I plan on running the 120/70-17 and the 150/70-17 versions of this tire on the front and rear of my Duke 390.
I'm assuming a non electric version, lol. I actually saw that exact bike in a Target parking lot today. It nice.

I'm running a 19" back rim so my options are limited. But do you think that conti 100/90-19 would work as a good rear for me as opposed to a 3.5x19 sr241? Or even a 2.75x19... 60/40 off road vs road. I'm looking to get something that can handle the weight of the QS273, protect the rim, and perform well off road.
If you want a tire that is slightly more street friendly than the Shinkor SR241, look at the Shinko 2.75-19 SR244. Its about 8 oz heavier than the SR241 same size but it trully a 60/40 Road/Offroad tire. The 100/90-19 Conti is a big tire, and way heavier than the tires listed above, Going to come in at around 4" wide.
I'm talking about using the 100/90-19 Conti FRONT version as a back tire though, which should be less than 3.5" wide. I've read too many bad reviews about the 244, and they don't make it in the right 19" size for my rim.
This tire is going to be a bit bigger than 3.5" wide. I wish you good luck with it. It will definitely protect your rim, I have absolutely ZERO doubt about that :shock: . This tire's sidewalls are so stiff, you can probably run it with a bead lock and 0 PSI.

synics   10 W

10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Apr 03 2020 11:18pm

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by synics » May 18 2020 10:57pm

Rix wrote:
May 18 2020 10:16pm
synics wrote:
May 18 2020 12:55pm
Rix wrote:
May 18 2020 11:39am
synics wrote:
May 15 2020 1:21am


I'm assuming a non electric version, lol. I actually saw that exact bike in a Target parking lot today. It nice.

I'm running a 19" back rim so my options are limited. But do you think that conti 100/90-19 would work as a good rear for me as opposed to a 3.5x19 sr241? Or even a 2.75x19... 60/40 off road vs road. I'm looking to get something that can handle the weight of the QS273, protect the rim, and perform well off road.
If you want a tire that is slightly more street friendly than the Shinkor SR241, look at the Shinko 2.75-19 SR244. Its about 8 oz heavier than the SR241 same size but it trully a 60/40 Road/Offroad tire. The 100/90-19 Conti is a big tire, and way heavier than the tires listed above, Going to come in at around 4" wide.
I'm talking about using the 100/90-19 Conti FRONT version as a back tire though, which should be less than 3.5" wide. I've read too many bad reviews about the 244, and they don't make it in the right 19" size for my rim.
This tire is going to be a bit bigger than 3.5" wide. I wish you good luck with it. It will definitely protect your rim, I have absolutely ZERO doubt about that :shock: . This tire's sidewalls are so stiff, you can probably run it with a bead lock and 0 PSI.
oh jeez, not looking for something that hard, lol

Volts   10 W

10 W
Posts: 68
Joined: Feb 12 2013 8:13am

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by Volts » May 19 2020 6:59am

Will a 27.5 fork fit a 19inch moto wheel?

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6983
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by Rix » May 19 2020 12:03pm

Volts wrote:
May 19 2020 6:59am
Will a 27.5 fork fit a 19inch moto wheel?
If laced to the correct hub it will.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6983
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by Rix » May 19 2020 12:13pm

synics wrote:
May 18 2020 10:57pm
Rix wrote:
May 18 2020 10:16pm
synics wrote:
May 18 2020 12:55pm
Rix wrote:
May 18 2020 11:39am


If you want a tire that is slightly more street friendly than the Shinkor SR241, look at the Shinko 2.75-19 SR244. Its about 8 oz heavier than the SR241 same size but it trully a 60/40 Road/Offroad tire. The 100/90-19 Conti is a big tire, and way heavier than the tires listed above, Going to come in at around 4" wide.
I'm talking about using the 100/90-19 Conti FRONT version as a back tire though, which should be less than 3.5" wide. I've read too many bad reviews about the 244, and they don't make it in the right 19" size for my rim.
This tire is going to be a bit bigger than 3.5" wide. I wish you good luck with it. It will definitely protect your rim, I have absolutely ZERO doubt about that :shock: . This tire's sidewalls are so stiff, you can probably run it with a bead lock and 0 PSI.
oh jeez, not looking for something that hard, lol
Keep in mind, the 100/90-19 Conti tire is size rated to run on the BMW 1250 GS as a replacement option for the stock OEM tire. Not sure if you have ever ridden BMW's biggest GS adventure with about 130hp, but its a big bike and fast and due to its fuel capacity, its wet weight ready to ride is around 600 pounds. Anyway, its alot of tire for running on a 100-130 pound ebike, even if it is on the rear.

synics   10 W

10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Apr 03 2020 11:18pm

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by synics » May 19 2020 12:18pm

Rix wrote:
May 19 2020 12:13pm
synics wrote:
May 18 2020 10:57pm
Rix wrote:
May 18 2020 10:16pm
synics wrote:
May 18 2020 12:55pm


I'm talking about using the 100/90-19 Conti FRONT version as a back tire though, which should be less than 3.5" wide. I've read too many bad reviews about the 244, and they don't make it in the right 19" size for my rim.
This tire is going to be a bit bigger than 3.5" wide. I wish you good luck with it. It will definitely protect your rim, I have absolutely ZERO doubt about that :shock: . This tire's sidewalls are so stiff, you can probably run it with a bead lock and 0 PSI.
oh jeez, not looking for something that hard, lol
Keep in mind, the 100/90-19 Conti tire is size rated to run on the BMW 1250 GS as a replacement option for the stock OEM tire. Not sure if you have ever ridden BMW's biggest GS adventure with about 130hp, but its a big bike and fast and due to its fuel capacity, its wet weight ready to ride is around 600 pounds. Anyway, its alot of tire for running on a 100-130 pound ebike, even if it is on the rear.
Thanks Rix, I may just go back to the drawing board and go with the Shinko 3.5x19. Not crazy with how heavy it is, but there's not a lot of options out there for a 19" rim and tires that's over 3" wide.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6983
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by Rix » May 20 2020 1:16pm

synics wrote:
May 19 2020 12:18pm
Rix wrote:
May 19 2020 12:13pm
synics wrote:
May 18 2020 10:57pm
Rix wrote:
May 18 2020 10:16pm


This tire is going to be a bit bigger than 3.5" wide. I wish you good luck with it. It will definitely protect your rim, I have absolutely ZERO doubt about that :shock: . This tire's sidewalls are so stiff, you can probably run it with a bead lock and 0 PSI.
oh jeez, not looking for something that hard, lol
Keep in mind, the 100/90-19 Conti tire is size rated to run on the BMW 1250 GS as a replacement option for the stock OEM tire. Not sure if you have ever ridden BMW's biggest GS adventure with about 130hp, but its a big bike and fast and due to its fuel capacity, its wet weight ready to ride is around 600 pounds. Anyway, its alot of tire for running on a 100-130 pound ebike, even if it is on the rear.
Thanks Rix, I may just go back to the drawing board and go with the Shinko 3.5x19. Not crazy with how heavy it is, but there's not a lot of options out there for a 19" rim and tires that's over 3" wide.
Yah, too bad they don't make a 3.00-19 SR241, that would be a really sweet tire for anything in the 5-15kw power range. Tell me about your build, I must have missed it earlier, but you said you had a qs273 motor with what I am assuming is a 1.85 or 2.15 by 19" MC Rim?

synics   10 W

10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Apr 03 2020 11:18pm

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by synics » May 20 2020 4:45pm

Rix wrote:
May 20 2020 1:16pm
synics wrote:
May 19 2020 12:18pm
Rix wrote:
May 19 2020 12:13pm
synics wrote:
May 18 2020 10:57pm


oh jeez, not looking for something that hard, lol
Keep in mind, the 100/90-19 Conti tire is size rated to run on the BMW 1250 GS as a replacement option for the stock OEM tire. Not sure if you have ever ridden BMW's biggest GS adventure with about 130hp, but its a big bike and fast and due to its fuel capacity, its wet weight ready to ride is around 600 pounds. Anyway, its alot of tire for running on a 100-130 pound ebike, even if it is on the rear.
Thanks Rix, I may just go back to the drawing board and go with the Shinko 3.5x19. Not crazy with how heavy it is, but there's not a lot of options out there for a 19" rim and tires that's over 3" wide.
Yah, too bad they don't make a 3.00-19 SR241, that would be a really sweet tire for anything in the 5-15kw power range. Tell me about your build, I must have missed it earlier, but you said you had a qs273 motor with what I am assuming is a 1.85 or 2.15 by 19" MC Rim?
The rim measures 56mm across, I totally forget which Rim size that would be...I know that's a 2.2" measurement. But yes, 19" rim with a 273 motor, 49AH Panasonic battery, Sabvoton 72200. The inside of the swingarm measures 4" at the narrowest part at the front, so I think the 241 3.5x19 would fit in there as it would be a bit further back in the arm at a wider point.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6983
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by Rix » May 20 2020 6:12pm

So that rim is classified as a 2.15-19, even though its slightly wider. When I say classified, I mean by "in the size category". I have seen bikes running the 2.75 SR241 and 244 on that wide of rim, but the tire is really flattened out. We are going to have to find you a tire.

synics   10 W

10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Apr 03 2020 11:18pm

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by synics » May 20 2020 8:00pm

Rix, I've literally perused every tire site for like a month, and when I say limited, I mean limited, LOL. That's why I was looking at thicker front tires as a back tire option because there are more 19" tires out there in that category. Everything in the rear tire category seems to be well over 4 inches. :(

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6983
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: 19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Post by Rix » May 21 2020 12:34pm

synics wrote:
May 20 2020 8:00pm
Rix, I've literally perused every tire site for like a month, and when I say limited, I mean limited, LOL. That's why I was looking at thicker front tires as a back tire option because there are more 19" tires out there in that category. Everything in the rear tire category seems to be well over 4 inches. :(
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53986

Check this old thread out amigo. Its Zombies' Greyborg build with 2.75-19 SR244 on Warp 9 2.15-19 rims, it gives you an idea what a 2.75 wide tire will look like on this wide of a rim. I actually talked to Zombies about his build and he loved the tire rim combo, said it felt super stable and really liked how it rolled. Unfortunately as you eluded to, if you don't go with a 2.75 wide tire, you got to go big then. I did a little research on the Conti Twinduro that you were looking at, it weighs 10 pounds. Thats lighter than other tires in the 100/90-19 catagory, but the 2.75-19 tires can be found all day long in the 5-6 pound weight range.

Post Reply