150cc scooters selling like hot cakes

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
markcycle   10 kW

10 kW

Re: 150cc scooters selling like hot cakes

Post by markcycle » Aug 03 2008 7:29am

Most motorcycles and scooter pollute up to ten times what cars do, no emission controls except maybe the ones certified for California use

My motorcycle is about equivalent to a 150cc bike goes 50MPH and has a 40 to 60 mile range
Attachments
DSC_0156_S.jpg
DSC_0156_S.jpg (80.96 KiB) Viewed 2979 times

vanilla ice   100 MW

100 MW

Post by vanilla ice » Aug 03 2008 11:25am

The new stuff is EFI and catalyzed.

GASSTINKS   10 W

10 W

Post by GASSTINKS » Aug 03 2008 11:32am

truckerzero wrote:comparing a ebike to a 150cc scooter is a little unfair
i think a better comparison would be a 49 cc scooter that requires no insurance or regestration or motorcycle endorsment on yor licence

and can be ridden on the sholder(at least in my state of missouri) and a top speed of 40 mph with 100mpg
how would the numbers work out then
ps a ebike does have a very impoprtant advantage even more important for us lazy americans and thats it encourages
pedeling along and getting some much needed exercise
Same for mopeds here in California. But, again, you're trapped in the bike lane where you're in a zone of danger and invisible to motorists. It's amazing how much safer I felt riding a scooter slightly faster than traffic in the number one lane, since I was constantly in the sight of every driver's left mirror. The numbers work out better for a 50cc over a 150cc for the reasons you stated, but with a one-gallon gas tank, you would still have to frequent the gas station every third day. Yuck. Then there's the two-stroke oil you're always messing with for those little motors...

The added exercise of the e-bike is a nice benefit. But, I noticed that during summer months I'm getting much more sun exposure due to wearing a bike helmet vs. a full motorcycle helmet. At 4:30 in the afternoon when I ride home, the left side of my body is always in direct contact with the sun for about 40 minutes (sun sets in the west, I ride back home in a south to north direction). I'm starting to wonder about the benefits of exercise vs. the detrimental effects of years of increased sun exposure. Might have to upgrade my bike helmet to a downhill-style full face mountain bike helmet, just to block the sun. In California, everyone is paranoid about skin cancer. I've already had two-moles removed which had the potential to turn into melanoma.

GASSTINKS   10 W

10 W

Post by GASSTINKS » Aug 03 2008 11:35am

markcycle wrote:My motorcycle is about equivalent to a 150cc bike goes 50MPH and has a 40 to 60 mile range
If you could bring that product to market for a reasonable price, I would be first in line to buy it.

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Aug 03 2008 2:01pm

Trust me on this, get a new mechanic. Or better yet, buy the manual and you learn to do a brake job. It's pretty simple, and even a badly worn rotor is still safe enough as long as its not paper thin or really warped. They just want your money, and less liability for doing the work by making everything new. Years ago Sears automotive dept had a huge lawsuit over this kind of gouging. When my wife refused to let them do it, they put her wheels back on at 300 foot pounds or so. I needed an 8 foot bar to break the lug nuts loose to do the job myself.

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Aug 03 2008 2:09pm

Back to the 150cc comparison. I wasn't trying to compare apples to apples, just see what different things really costed. One thing I did not consider was a 50 cc anything. I rode a moped for a couple years in colledge. It was the most dangerous thing I ever had. Why? Cars would think you were going 20, when the thing would actually go 35, and constantly pull left turns on you or pass and turn right on you. They just never thought you could be going that fast on that little thing.

Ebikers, are you listening? If your bike does 35 mph, you are in the same trap. Mine does 25, and since its a bike, not a motor vehicle, 95% of my ride is on bike path or bike lane. In traffic, its better to be able to keep up, or keep off, I think. One nice thing about that experience was it taught me evasive manuvers that still worked on a 750 motorcycle later. I can still steer with a rear tire locked up and smoking. Sometimes this can let you thread the needle between cars to save your life.

vanilla ice   100 MW

100 MW

Post by vanilla ice » Aug 03 2008 6:40pm

Some of the fitties are 4strokes now, cat and EFI closed loop at partial throttle just like cars are. And its mandatory everything over 50 is 4stroke, most of them cat/EFI for years. I'm curious what those numbers are based on when they say "10 times more pollution than cars", not saying it aint so, just doubtful about how fresh the data is.. and by 'pollution' do they specifically mean NOx? Anyway, used to be motor scooters and motorcycles were only better at mpg and co2.. these days they're a lot better than they used to be at the other stuff too. I'd love to see a fair/up to date study.

This guy says it better than me..
http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/06/moto ... -118447134

Here's some numbers from a 4stroke 150cc scooter maker, grain of salt..
http://www.bajajusa.com/emissions.htm

Link   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Link » Aug 03 2008 7:08pm

I asked her what it was, and I was pretty off; it was the drums. Apparently, they can't be rotated like normal ones. I guess this is unusual even for Fords.

Also, this isn't new info. She was told that the whole thing was going to need replacing when it eventually wore out not too long after she bought the car. And I'm not sure whether $500 was what it would cost to fix it, or what Ford wanted to fix it. :?
ಠ_ಠ
Packcycle 2.0 - Scwhinn S-Go
Do you wumbo?
My mind is an enigma. So much so that, sometimes, even I don't know what I was thinking.

EVTodd   10 kW

10 kW

Post by EVTodd » Aug 03 2008 11:53pm

Still... My girlfriend's Focus has over 70,000 miles on the rear drums with the original shoes. The drums are very cheap for a Focus and there's nothing strange or special about them. Very easy to change too. I'll shut up about it now but please have your mom look into it a bit before plunking down that kind of cash. I hate seeing people paying too much for car repairs.

150cc scooters... I will say I have been very tempted by them lately myself. It's not the same thing as an e-bike by a long shot. As much as I love my bike I would probably be more likely to ride a 150cc scooter to work every day. Then again, most of them seem to cost around $2000 new so I'm not really saving that much. I can buy a lot of gas for my little Focus for $2000.

My dream is to find an Aprilia RS50 with a blown motor to convert to electric. Too bad it's so hard to find one here in the states.
Last edited by EVTodd on Aug 04 2008 7:26am, edited 1 time in total.
New Tidalforce friction drive build: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 28&t=28029

My Friction Drive Outrunner Setup: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... &start=330

Link   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Link » Aug 04 2008 12:06am

EVTodd wrote:I can buy a lot of gas for my little Focus for $2000.
Heh...That's not much less than my mom paid for her Focus. XD
ಠ_ಠ
Packcycle 2.0 - Scwhinn S-Go
Do you wumbo?
My mind is an enigma. So much so that, sometimes, even I don't know what I was thinking.

TylerDurden   100 GW

100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » Aug 04 2008 8:33am

Motorbikes are hot items. My Progressive insurance rep said they are writing 4:1 (moto:auto) this spring/summer.

@Link: As long as mummy ain't using the car anyway... take it apart :twisted: :
HF jackstands
Craftsman socket set
Nitrile gloves

Don't take apart the pistons in the calipers or drums, you'll need to bleed then. Not a real biggie, but brake fluid is nasty.

Get the book if you're stuck somewhere in the process (last resort :mrgreen: ).
Have a Nice Day,

TD

FYI: Adding pictures?

Bored?... take a crack at the unanswered posts

Please post your Watts-at-speed in the survey.

Jay64   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Jay64 » Aug 04 2008 9:57am

GASSTINKS wrote: The added exercise of the e-bike is a nice benefit. But, I noticed that during summer months I'm getting much more sun exposure due to wearing a bike helmet vs. a full motorcycle helmet. At 4:30 in the afternoon when I ride home, the left side of my body is always in direct contact with the sun for about 40 minutes (sun sets in the west, I ride back home in a south to north direction). I'm starting to wonder about the benefits of exercise vs. the detrimental effects of years of increased sun exposure. Might have to upgrade my bike helmet to a downhill-style full face mountain bike helmet, just to block the sun. In California, everyone is paranoid about skin cancer. I've already had two-moles removed which had the potential to turn into melanoma.
How about just putting on some sunscreen?
Johnson64.Com "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones."
EV Bikes:
'13 Zero S 11.4kwh.
GS500, ME0913, Sevcon Size 6 Controller, 90v40ah Lipo, GSXR suspension..
'87 Hurricane 600, ME0709, 48v/50a SLA, Kelly KD72400, Magura Throttle, High Current Cycle Analyst.
http://www.evalbum.com/2275
Raleigh beach cruiser: 9C rear hub, stock controller, 48v10ah lithium, Cycle Analyst.
Phat Chopper: 9C front hub, stock controller, 48v12ah a123s, Cycle Analyst.

GASSTINKS   10 W

10 W

Post by GASSTINKS » Aug 04 2008 10:16am

Jay64 wrote:
GASSTINKS wrote:How about just putting on some sunscreen?
I do. The left side of my face, my left arm, and my left knee is still darker than the right. It reminds me of when I owned a Jeep and drove it around with its bikini top (a piece of canvas which only covers the top portion over the driver / passenger). By mid summer, my left knee and arm were almost brown.

TylerDurden   100 GW

100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » Aug 05 2008 11:26pm

GASSTINKS wrote:It reminds me of when I owned a Jeep and drove it around with its bikini top (a piece of canvas which only covers the top portion over the driver / passenger). By mid summer, my left knee and arm were almost brown.
LOL... I've been workin on so many cars in my driveway this summer, my shins & ankles are getting tan. (the rest of me is under the cars)
Have a Nice Day,

TD

Zoot Katz   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Zoot Katz » Aug 06 2008 12:10am

TylerDurden wrote:
GASSTINKS wrote:LOL... I've been workin on so many cars in my driveway this summer, my shins & ankles are getting tan. (the rest of me is under the cars)
You've gotta start buffing it (a lot) in the buff to even out your parfait tan.
Whenever I see somebody shampooing their car I tell them it's not going to make any difference.
Because the damn thing is still going to stink as soon as they start it up.

TylerDurden   100 GW

100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » Aug 06 2008 7:15am

Zoot Katz wrote:Whenever I see somebody shampooing their car I tell them it's not going to make any difference.
Because the damn thing is still going to stink as soon as they start it up.
Troo that...

...but it will look so much nicer next to the wildflowers growing around it when the fuel is too expensive to buy.
Have a Nice Day,

TD

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Aug 08 2008 5:09pm

I agree on the car posts, Link. Drums cost very little, but again, unless paper thin, just use em. They are shucking your mom on the price, and covering thier liability by wanting to put new ones on. Will the old drums wear out the new shoes faster? Yes they will, but now that you know how to do a brake job, the cost of new shoes is very small. Look at it this way, it won't be long till you are converting some old car to electric, so learn some of this stuff now on mom's car.

In less than 10 times that a real mechanic worked on my cars, since 1970, i didn't get taken twice. Sometimes malicious, other times, just fixing not broken stuff till they find the broken thing. Or breaking things working on the car and wanting me to pay. Last fall, under a deadline for a vacation, I ended up paying $1000 to change a spark plug. By the time the third mechanic found the problem , I had a 90% new ignition system in the truck.

vanilla ice   100 MW

100 MW

Post by vanilla ice » Aug 08 2008 5:32pm

Those "replace random parts until it works" mechanics are the worst.. :)

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Aug 09 2008 7:57am

Actually replace random parts till you catch on mechanics are the worst. These days , it it doesn't code they are clueless in my town. On my truck last year, the code said ignition system. The plugs were brand new, I just didn't know the first mechanic broke one installing it. I had put the plugs in myself, properly, but when my distributor died, the turkey broke the number one plug and damaged the wire doing the TDC thing installing a new distributor. I got desperate for a fix since I was going to Chiuhuahua city in the thing and did not want a shitty running truck in mexico. The problem was hard to diagnose since it was intermittent.

Sturdly   10 W

10 W

Post by Sturdly » Aug 10 2008 10:27am

Anyone ever see the Letterman show with the person trying to sell hotcakes in downtown NYC? Nary a customer to be had.

I do believe the scooters are selling at a much higher rate.

I love my ZX3 Kona Focus more than 8 years old now and almost 25,000 miles no problems so far.

TylerDurden   100 GW

100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » Aug 10 2008 12:42pm

Stupid gassers. I wore sandals for the first time (shoes were wet)... feet got sunburnt. :evil:

Focus could be a good conversion donor, esp. a wagoon.
Have a Nice Day,

TD

Sturdly   10 W

10 W

Post by Sturdly » Aug 10 2008 1:01pm

TylerDurden wrote:Stupid gassers.
Yes I would agree. See far too many of them riding with shorts and sandals on, especially women. They obviously haven't checked out the abrasive qualities of asphalt .....yet.

truckerzero   100 W

100 W

Post by truckerzero » Aug 17 2008 1:21pm

i ride a harley and do wear shorts when its hot out this makes me pay more attention to the other idiots on the road because wether its their fault or not
a accedent on a bike still hurts and should be avoided
there have been many times that some one pulled out on be and i avoided a crash that in most liklyhood would have happened in my car
because since i was on the bike my full atteneion was on driving not talking on the cell,talking to a passenger, playen with the radio,eating food or drink and such.
you would be suprised what percentage of accidents could be avoided if 100 percent of our focous was on the road and not all the other things we do when we drive
ford explorer 12 mpg
pontiac sunfire 30 mpg
883 harley sportster 55 mpg
raze rc nitro buggy 196 mpg on 5% nitro methanol fuel
stryker electric rc plane 3.3 watts per mile@80 mph(too bad i cant ride on that thing)!!!

Sturdly   10 W

10 W

Post by Sturdly » Aug 17 2008 2:29pm

I have ridden heavily in the past and still rattle around on my Servicar from time to time. Got my first Panhead in '71 and granted, the lack of front brakes and the raked frame with the 12" over springer limited the responsiveness. Laying it down at 60mph was not a fun thing to do but no choice given the circumstances. Sliding down the hiway ground through buffalo hide leathers and still took a few good sized patches of skin muscle and bone with it. I thought I was being careful and 100% attentive but the citizen in the cage won that time. Could happen to anyone.... especially the inexperienced, so don't discount the use of proper riding attire.

Add the bonus of all that hot steel and aluminum between your legs on a cycle compared to the enclosed rear scooter motor and exhaust should also give one pause for thought. Please don't anyone wear sandals with those shorts when you ride. I get queezy just thinking about the burns I got through a pair of heavy denims and tennis shoes from my trusty WL Gertrude a few decades back.

IMHO one should rethink the risk reward factor before slipping on their speedo's and flip flops then blasting around, I hate to see anyone get hurt more that they have to, especially contributing board members, and if your packing, don't let your passengers under dress either.

Disfiguring someone for life is a heavy burden.

truckerzero   100 W

100 W

Post by truckerzero » Aug 18 2008 1:24am

i dont have flipflops usally nike's or a cheap converse style ive even went out in my shorts and was riding home with them and a leather jacket that
must have looked funny
i ;ove choppers and may buy one one day but i feel much safer on my sportster it handels just about the same as 2 bikes i grew up when i was younger
a honda cb350 and also a honda 400 nighthawk even though my sportster is about 100 lbs heaveyer it has that "sportbike" feel real twitchy a lot of harly riders
dont like that and thats why a sportster has a bad reputation as being called a girlsbike,dirtbike, not a real harley but for anything other than a road trip
its my first choice
but a roadking would be nice for a long interstate cruise
ford explorer 12 mpg
pontiac sunfire 30 mpg
883 harley sportster 55 mpg
raze rc nitro buggy 196 mpg on 5% nitro methanol fuel
stryker electric rc plane 3.3 watts per mile@80 mph(too bad i cant ride on that thing)!!!