5amp charger battery degridation

Paul T

10 mW
Will a 5ah charger used everyday on a 48v lithium battery degrade it noticeably over a 2ah charger? degrade it meaning less run time, power output etc. I have a 10ah 48v battery and it only takes 2hrs to charger on the faster charger but is it hurting the battery?

Depends on what the battery is rated for. AH of the battery, etc., etc. I charge my 888wh battery pack at 10A and that's just a .5C rate.

Well, everything degrades your battery some. How many things you pile on may make it more noticeable sooner.

But you can't use the battery, if you have it sitting in a refrigerator at half charge.

For me, a faster charge is worth a small price. Chances are, if your bms will allow 5 amps charge, then your cells can take the 5 amps charge fine. What's really damaging your battery is the rate of discharge, how deep you discharge it, and the hotter temperatures of summer you can't easily do anything about.

RE temps, try not to charge the battery at any rate, when it's sitting in full sun in summer. Same for the garage, if it's lots hotter than other shady places. Charge slower if you must charge a hot pack.

I wouldn't sweat a 5 amps charge, which is only .5c rate on a 10 ah pack.

It realy depends on the battery. Generaly, Lithium wants 1C charge. Infact, charging too slow is bad for some forms of lithium. A 20AH LiCo being charged at 2 amps would be just 0.1C, which would possably allow dendrites to form between the layers, harming the battery. A LiFePO4 is more tollerent, but still it's better to charge closer to 1C.

If you have a 10AH battery, a 5A charger is 0.5C, in most cases, thats going to be better for it than a 2 amp.

I use a 6 amp charger for my 16amp/hr pack and works like a dream for years.

Faster charging is also safe in the way it only takes about 1/2 hr to top-up my pack while having coffee, short and sweet.

Paul T said:
Will a 5ah charger used everyday on a 48v lithium battery degrade it noticeably over a 2ah charger? degrade it meaning less run time, power output etc. I have a 10ah 48v battery and it only takes 2hrs to charger on the faster charger but is it hurting the battery?

Most batteries on the market can handle 1C charge rates without degrading it. That means you can charge with as much amps as your battery pack has AH. So a 10AH battery pack 1C charge rate would be 10amps. Your charging at .5C at 5 amps. Your batteries should be fine.

Wishes

Lower charge rate(s) likely hold-over from NiCd/NiMh & SLA practices.

Although OP doesn't provide "type" of Lithium battery even mild laptop cells handle higher charge rates better than the old Nickel/Lead stuff....

cv is usually at very low rates near the end of the charge. doesn't charging at 1c at 4.20 v shorten the life? and it won't hold 4.2, will it? it will drop to 4.1? or so, maybe even 4.00, won't it?
U guys are charging at 1c to the end of the charge? sounds dangerous to me.
maybe you are all ignoring stage 2? talking about stage 1? that could be what i'm missing.

Matt Gruber said:
cv is usually at very low rates near the end of the charge. doesn't charging at 1c at 4.20 v shorten the life? and it won't hold 4.2, will it? it will drop to 4.1? or so, maybe even 4.00, won't it?
U guys are charging at 1c to the end of the charge? sounds dangerous to me.
maybe you are all ignoring stage 2? talking about stage 1? that could be what i'm missing.

Of course you don't charge at 1C to the end of the charge. Unless you are manually charging it, chargers will drop amps as voltage nears top level and therefore creating your top off conditions.

Back