How do I destructively remove a freewheel Finished

docnjoj

1 GW
My chain kept coming off my highest gear today and aafter fighting with it a few times I took a closer look. The 14 tooth gear (my highest) has practically no teeth left. Somewhere in the house are 2 freewheel removers, but I can't find them. There must be a way to get this off. What is the trick?
Thanks in advance
otherDoc

Chisel and hammer would be the way to do it.

Honestly, I would wait until I found the tool (if it was a motor that this is attached to)

I recently took one off without the tool, but I do have a lathe, I turned and aluminium bar to the larger dia of the spline, bored it out to fit over the axle and hammered it in, put a pipe wrench on it and screwed the freewheel off. easy peasy!
It wasn't that I couldn't find my tool but that it would not fit in due to the cheap Chinese freewheel being deformed!!

Hiya Doc,

I'd clamp the freewheel in a vise with the axle pointing up (freewheel pointing down). I'd ensure the vise swivel is tight, crank the vise jaws very tight, then turn the wheel to break it free.

Ypedal said:
unless you crush it hard enough to jam the pawls... that won't work ( unless i am picturing this wrong )

Yeah, u right, duh. :lol:

Gotta get the outer race off with a pinwrench or such.

Thanks guys. I will institute a complete home search tomorrow. I have a bench and vise, but i'll try first the right way. Is there anyone besides ebikes.ca who has the correct tool with the enlarged hole, in this country. I love to order from them but it will take time.
otherDoc

I cut the end off a standard tool and welded on a large nut (car driveshaft nut) with sufficient internal clearance for the hall connector.

Or you could de-pin the hall connector and use the standard tool.

Punx0r said:
I cut the end off a standard tool and welded on a large nut (car driveshaft nut) with sufficient internal clearance for the hall connector.

Or you could de-pin the hall connector and use the standard tool.
The problem isn't the Hall/phase connector, it is the shaft diameter is too big to get the tool on. The tool needs to be drilled out but if I can't find it it, it does not matter either. :(
otherDoc

Ah. On mine the splined section was thin enough to clear the axle but the rest wasn't. The metal is very hard!

Dosn't the local bike shop have a chain whip. I think I got mine off that way ? Or if a chain whip will work can't one be made with some old chain and lever.
Shit triing to remember is almost like dreaming with all the ebike and battery mods and fixes I done.
Now if it works I just run it, till broke.
Good luck Doc.

A chain tool can only tighten it, it will freewheel if turned in the direction needed to remove it! which is why he is struggling to get it off!! :roll:

I oiled the freewheel and the chain and readjusted the rear derailleur and it seems there is enough tooth left to ride for now. I ordered another freewheel remover from Ebikekit and when it arrives it will be used and then placed in the sacred place where I can find bike tools again. I'm used to other people setting up instruments for me on trays and sterilizing them for me. Even long retired I can only manage major clutter of tools in my life. Also my memory is older but not wiser, so I tend to move tools around rather than return them to where I got them. Oh well, enough of former triumphs.

otherDoc

Right as it's a freewheel. With my wish full ness comes a duh.
I did use for tighening. I been sitting in my bike tool box and only used it once in 5Yrs.

Yeah Zip. I also haven't changed a freewheel in about 5 years. That is why I can't find the damn tools! The ones I use frequently like wrenches, cablecutters etc. are easy to find in my kit. We have a fairly large house and it has a lot of clutter in it, but no garage. The remover could be anywhere!
otherDoc

I remember using a pipe wrench to remove my old freewheel. But I might have also had a freewheel socket as well. My LBS has a pretty good selection of Park tools...

Well the continuing saga: We started out on a 20 miler with my bike adjusted (or so I thought) and on the first hill I tried to shift down to a lower gear. When I shifted back up to highest, the chain jumped off and wedged the freewheel and the dropout. I tried to pry it out with a screwdriver, but no go. Had to do the electric wheelchair ride of shame back home. Luckily we were only about 2 miles away and the trike made the trip effortlessly.I have never driven the trike without pedaling, and while it was effective, I need the initial torque from my legs to help start off. I guess I need additional spacer washers on the inside axle to widen the space and prevent chain jam. Luckily the new freewheel remover will be here by Tuesday, and I have to go hunt for spacer washers.
otherDoc

TylerDurden said:
Hiya Doc,

I'd clamp the freewheel in a vise with the axle pointing up (freewheel pointing down). I'd ensure the vise swivel is tight, crank the vise jaws very tight, then turn the wheel to break it free.

When you get a remover tool that fits, clamp that It the vice and proceed as above.

Thanks Jenny. Will do.
otherDoc

Sounds like a job for an angle grinder to cut and peel the freewheeling parts away like an onion until you get to something you can grip with a pipe wrench or other tool. If all you have is a dremel, the metal may be a bit hard, so cut away the side cover of the FW to be able to jam something in from the side to prevent freewheeling and unscrew it.

Thanks John and Gaston. Me and the trike had a stern discussion when it was elevated on my lift and I added one internal dropout space washer. I then re-adjusted the high/low screws on the rear derailleur and "Voila" it seems to work OK. The top gear teeth are shot but the tool comes Tuesday and I have about 9 freewheels to chose from including an 11 tooth high gear that I have been considering. It is probably overkill since I rarely ride above 16 mph. I have a new HF angle grinder that the grandkids have been using to dismantle our old pool for the dump, so I could grind the heck out of it, but the tool to remove in the vise is one day away. Elegance rules!
otherDoc

TylerDurden said:
Ypedal said:
unless you crush it hard enough to jam the pawls... that won't work ( unless i am picturing this wrong )

Yeah, u right, duh. :lol:

Gotta get the outer race off with a pinwrench or such.
Hey Tyler. Longtime no see! Yeah I could whack a pin wrench but I already lost the new one from the new angle grinder and, of course, can't find any of the old ones. Getting old means I can lose a tool while I am using it! :(
otherDoc

Back