Throttle types, brands, quality, ruggedness, etc.

I am wondering if there are a few quality throttles out there. I currently have a Magura throttle on my bike and I need to buy 3 more for upcoming projects and a girlfriend build. If I want something that will take offroad riding, is Magura my best bet? It seems pretty stout on the construction, although not as stout as a real motorcycle throttle. I do have a grip of 5k linear slide POTs I bought a while back, so for offroad use maybe I should buy a real motorcycle throttle and just have the cable move the POT. The GF could just use a crappy thumb throttle for all I care :lol: She will just be riding to school and back.

Thoughts?

Hi

Magura everytime for me! they use them on the big electric crossers as well, they are a proven design that work very well, halls are ok but I dont trust them when they get wet, Maguras are fine in the wet, the pot is housed and waterproof, a normal motorcycle throttle to a pot would work as well, the Magura is simpler and just works very well.

Knoxie

Still working on Electric Bike Project #2. Also thinking about different throttle? Will this Magura Throttle work for me? Got Crystalyte 406 Motor, Crystalyte 36V 35A Start Immediate Analog? Controller, and Crystalyte Half Twist Throttle. Looks like this.
T-HTwist.jpg

Will this Magura Throttle work for me? Looks like this.
TH-Magura-2.jpg

mag.gif

Magura Throttle Twist Grip
Works like an American (right hand) motorcycle throttle control mechanism.
Specifications:
Designed to fit tubing diameters up to 20mm (standard bike handle bars) without customizing.
A twist-grip throttle suitable for most controllers.
90° twist gives zero to full speed (0-100% of pot travel).
It uses 5K pot.
It has an integral tube clamp for 22mm diameter tube.
The cable supplied is 1.8m long, 3 core 16/0.2mm

Both throttles have 3 wires.

Where is good place to buy Magura Throttle? Any other better, more reliable, easier to operate throttles?

I've been running Crystalyte throttles (both thumb and twist) for the past two years, and by and large I've been horribly disappointed in their build quality. The plastic is fairly flimsy and the injection molded design is excessively large where the wiring leaves the housing, making it difficult to mount on handlebars next to other things (like shifters or brake levers).

I haven't had any trouble with short circuiting, even after running my bike in the rain a good number of times, but I certainly don't feel good about their water resistance.

For my next build I'm tentatively planning on rigging up a cable driven system that goes to a spring loaded potentiometer in the controller enclosure. This would provide reasonable water resistance, and with a cable splitter you could have multiple throttles for different hand positions.

Hi Marty

Yes the Magura will work with the crystalyte controller, been using mine for 3 years everyday rain and shine, works like a charm, as far as US suppliers go http://www.electricvehiclesusa.com/product_p/th-magura.htm

Theres bound to be more just google about and yes the other idea about a motorcycle throttle is good also, I just like the simplicity and reliability of the Magura, whatever you do on any bike its a very good idea to also use a kill switch, no throttle is 100 percent safe, anything could happen and if it does you need to act very quickly..you do on all of my rides anyways :lol:

Knoxie

Bought Magura 5k Ohm Twist Throttle from electricscooterparts.com
THR-MAG5K.jpg
Blue Wire = Throttle High
Brown Wire = Wiper
Black Wire = Throttle Low

Want to replace Crystalyte throttle. See this wire diagram at ebike.ca
Rectangular-3-Pin-Connector.gif
Got no idea how to test these throttles? Which wire goes where?
GREEN = Throttle
YELLOW = Ground
RED = 5V

Thanks all for the help with Electric Bike Project #2.

Marty,

You've got a problem. You're mixing apples and oranges. It appears that you purchased a 5kohm pot throttle, but need a hall sensor type throttle. Worst case there is a hack to adapt, but instead try to get hold of the company you purchased from before they ship, so you can change your order.

John

John in CR said:
Marty,

You've got a problem. You're mixing apples and oranges. It appears that you purchased a 5kohm pot throttle, but need a hall sensor type throttle. Worst case there is a hack to adapt, but instead try to get hold of the company you purchased from before they ship, so you can change your order.

John
:? :? :? :? :? :?
Test Magura throttle as follows:
Set up DC to DC converter to give me 5V. Multimeter reads 4.96V
Connect 5V+ to Blue Wire = Throttle High
Connect 5V- to Black Wire = Throttle Low

Set Multimeter to 20 volt scale
Red wire to Brown Wire = Wiper
Black wire to Black Wire = Throttle Low

See 0V to 4.95V when I twist throttle.
Connect 5V- to YELLOW = Ground

Set Multimeter to 20 volt scale
Red wire to Brown Wire = GREEN = Throttle
Black wire to Black Wire = YELLOW = Ground

See .88V to 4.27V when I twist throttle.
Both throttles work pretty much the same. Magura starts out slower. Only possible problem seems to be when I squeeze brake and apply throttle at same time. Wheel will stop spinning, more so with Magura. Don't know if this will be a real problem with bike in actual operation? Anyone have any experience using Magura throttle with Crystalyte 36V 20A Start Immediate Brushless Controller?

Progress report on Throttle experiments:
Take Magura throttle apart and move gear teeth so it works the same as Crystalyte Half Twist Throttle. By the same I mean voltage changes from about 1V to 5V. Works GREAT wheel starts spinning as soon as throttle is turned. Not like before when throttle would move a few degrees before wheel would start spinning.

Here is how I take Magura throttle apart:
1. Remove 2 screws. They hiding behind rubber grip flange.
2. Put rubber grip and plastic sleeve in sink with HOT water and some dish soap.
3. Fight with it till it comes apart.
4. Connect throttle to 5V power supply. Move potentiometer till I see about 1V.
5. Put it back together.

Sent email to ElectricScooterParts.com with question?
Please explain the electrical differences between Hall-Effect Twist Throttles and Magura 5k Ohm Twist Throttle.
Answer:
Hello,
The hall effect throttle has a magnet that when twisted over a hall effect sensor chip varies the voltage. A 5K ohm throttle twists a potentiometer.
Regards,
ElectricScooterParts.com

I do not understand the answer? Is Crystalyte half twist throttle Hall-Effect? Are both throttles doing the same thing in a different way? Would someone please explain this to me in simple words.

Both are modifying the output voltage, but one uses a variable resistor (pot) and the other uses a linear hall effect sensor.

johnrobholmes said:
Both are modifying the output voltage, but one uses a variable resistor (pot) and the other uses a linear hall effect sensor.

Thanks for explaining that. Magura throttle feels way better with my hand. Much nicer easier to hold rubber grip. Better grip on other side of handlebars too.

marty said:
I do not understand the answer? Is Crystalyte half twist throttle Hall-Effect? Are both throttles doing the same thing in a different way? Would someone please explain this to me in simple words.

You actually already figured it out:

Test Magura throttle as follows:
See 0V to 4.95V when I twist throttle.

Electrically, the Magura output voltage goes all the way to zero and all the way to the supply voltage.
A hall effect throttle will not quite go all the way in either direction. Moving the gears is one approach (I never would have thought of that one). Another approach is to put a fixed resistor in series with the ground and +5v lines to make the output swing match a hall effect.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but this is good information to expand on.

fechter, what size resister would I use to come somewhat close to matching the hall effect throttle when using a potentiometer throttle? What do you mean by wiring it in series with the ground? Could you post one of your excellent schematics?

By the way I used your schematic for the push button switch throttle with the capacitor and resistor wired in to reduce the amp surge:
file.php

It seemed to work great for me, only I foolishly purchased a spst instead of a spdt switch so I couldn't wire it to discharge the cap. I did not have any detectable residual charge while riding though. Anyway thanks a bunch, it really saved me. I was 14 miles from home when my hall sensor in my clyte throttle crumbled apart.

One more question. With the Cycle Analyst work the same way with a potentiometer throttle as it does a hall sensor throttle? My biggest concern is the ability to control amp draw.

I just installed the Magura throttle on my bike this evening. As it turns out it is responsive immediately upon rotating the throttle so no adjustments or electronics were needed. I did purchase it used, so maybe the previous owner used it in a similar capacity and already tweaked it for me.

I have only been able to take it out for a short test of less than a mile so far, but I immediately noticed it has more acceleration and top end speed. I may have to adjust the amp draw on my Cycle Analyst if I notice it is drawing more than before.

azisme said:
fechter, what size resister would I use to come somewhat close to matching the hall effect throttle when using a potentiometer throttle? What do you mean by wiring it in series with the ground? Could you post one of your excellent schematics?

4.7k resistor on the Blue wire of the Magura (information given to me by Edward Lyen)

I have also disassembled my throttle and moved the gearing around.

KiM

I guess I have been lucky, never had any trouble with my throttles.

There is a new throttle being sold by Amped Bikes that looks interesting.

Anyone tried it?

newthrottle.jpg

I have one of those here, seems solid enough.

I have had good luck with the china hall throttles, but I have broken a few. I think I just ride a bit hard for "commuter" style equipment.

For serious commuters that ride daily, it appears that a Magura pot throttle is doomed to fail eventually as the wiper wears out (from user reports).

Here's a hall effect model that seems to be a little more rugged than average. I tested one and it seems to be well constructed and suitable for motorcycles and bikes. Price: $19.00

http://www.newkellycontroller.com/product_info.php?products_id=134

0-5VTwist%20Grip.jpg

I could certainly see the wiper failing over time if it was used multiple times daily. I wonder if we can get replacement pots for them?

Magura® 5k Ohm Twist Throttle
can anybody tell me if the is a UK supplier or do i have to order form the US

i have a TGA trike with the Magura and ,i bought a chines one but it doesnt work
my motor has brushes is this why???

the trike is 9 years old and used every day so the throttle has done well

i also found this site that sells the throttle
https://www.treatland.tv/default.asp
anybody ordered form there ???
any help please

4qd.co.uk used to sell them, check out there site.

chrisarvor said:
Magura[REGISTERED SIGN] 5k Ohm Twist Throttle
can anybody tell me if the is a UK supplier or do i have to order form the US

i have a TGA trike with the Magura and ,i bought a chines one but it doesnt work
my motor has brushes is this why???

the trike is 9 years old and used every day so the throttle has done well

i also found this site that sells the throttle
https://www.treatland.tv/default.asp
anybody ordered form there ???
any help please

Yes, sanford is right, 4qd.co.uk does have it:
Magura Twist Grip Throttle
A twist grip throttle suitable for use with all 4QD controllers.
£3.00–£48.00
http://www.4qd.co.uk/product-category/accessories/throttles-pots/

watch out it seems that when the pot is dead, the throttle can be halting @ a range so apply a jump in the ramp resulting on lots of prower and wheeling...falling...experience need to be confimr by replacing the throttle (on a QUANTYA)

Back