Adding PAS to EM3EV controller

Hi all - I've got an EM3EV 6 FET IRFB4110 controller, and I understand there are pads on the board available for a PAS connection/function.

I have one of these in my bits drawer, so does anyone have any instructions on wiring up and enabling the PAS function on this controller?

Thanks in advance.

Looks like a standard hall sensor ring , detects pedalling or not...there wont be any proportional control.

Do you have the magnetic ring that goes on the crank? if not then that is no use unless you can maek a ring and stick magnets to it that pass over the sensor.

As for wiring, the last kit I saw from paul used the standard Xie Chang/Infinieon boards...so search the forum here and there are old threads describing what the pads are to use to

The three wires from your device will be ground, 5 volt in, and signal out from the hall sensor.

ground..connect to any common ground ont he board
take 5 volt from any convenient spare 5 volt pad.

I think from memory, the output wire from your device goes to the pad labelled TA.

You will then need to adjust settings in XPD and re flash the controller to control how the PAS works...how many pulses it needs before startign to add power etc.

With a low power bike this method is OK, but for a high power setup, you will need to moderate the bike power via current limiting via a cycle analyst or three speed switch....otherwise, the bike will take off at full power as soon as PAS kicks in.

Paul does sell a PAS 'tamer' unit, that menas you do not use the TA pad on the board, but instead, the PAS tamer module intercepts the throttle signal and sends its own throtttle signal. depending on the PAS input. Not proportional in relation to pedal speed, but it does allow for 4 power settings.

Yeah, I have the sensor ring as well.

Only running 650 watts peak so a simple on/off will be fine :)

I enquired about Pauls PAS unit but it's only for 36v and I'm running 15s lipo.

Thanks for the advice - I'll open the controller up and take a nosey.

Voltage is no problem.
I run his unit on a 20 or 24 series bike.

I am in a field at the moment, but send me a PM to remind me and I'll send you the info of what you need to run it at higher voltages.
Basically a 3 pin voltage reg, or Zener and a couple of resistors.

NeilP said:
Looks like a standard hall sensor ring , ...........
Hi, did you discover the connection of the 3 wires of the pas? I have a similar pas, and controller eb3 12 fet em3ev ,.
Thank you when you reveal it,
the mystery continues here too ',
I looked everywhere = 0.

Too long ago to remember
But any PAS with 3 wires will be basic
Voltage in. Probably 5 volts
Ground
Signal out

NeilP said:
Too long ago to remember
But any PAS with 3 wires will be basic
Voltage in. Probably 5 volts
Ground
Signal out
Thanks, but it's still not enough,
one told me that if I'm wrong
I could do damage,
the socket of the controller where I should connect the 3 wires of the pas is this:
1 Battery Voltage Vcc-L (red
(I think it's battery indicator, my 48v., and I do not need to use it)
2 GND / Shunt + ve (black)
3 Shunt -ve / Shunt -ve (blue)
4 Shunt + ve / Shunt + ve (white)
5 Speed ​​Signal / HE (yellow)
6 Throttle signal / SLA. (green)

which wires do I connect pas (3wires) directly without the diplay without CA?

As noted in your other thread, you CANNOT connect the pulse-type PAS directly to the 6-pin CA connector, and have it work as a normal PAS.

It will NOT work to run the bike like you want it to.

You will have to either use the CA or some other device to interpret the PAS pulses into a throttle signal.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how many times you ask the question, in how many threads, the answer will still be the same.

If you have no PAS connector on the controller, you would have to open up the controller and see if there are unused pads inside that are marked for it (unlikely), and wire up a connector to those pads.

Or you can try asking the controller manufacturer, since you said EM3EV does not have the info you need.

If you don't care how rough it runs, then if you hook up the PAS signal to the throttle input of the controller, then every pulse of the PAS will give you some amount of throttle, as long as it is not too high voltage for the controller's throttle input limit.

But if you happen to pause pedalling while the PAS is in a "high" state, you'll be "stuck" at throttle on, probably at or near full throttle.

I doubt that's the way you want it to work.

zeccato said:
Thanks, but it's still not enough,
I could do damage,
the socket of the controller where I should connect the 3 wires of the pas is this:

Exactly as Amberwolf says, you can’t connect it to the 6 pin CA connector
It can only be connected to the dedicated PAS connector.

If you don’t have one, as he says, there maybe a PAS pad on the board, but I’d guess that at your level of knowledge of this stuff, you have slim to zero chance of finding it unless labelled.

You can’t rely on ANY common colour codes for the wiring.

t_id=1439772 said:
zeccato said:
2 GND /
3 Shunt -ve
4 Shunt + ve
5 Speed ​​Signal
6 Throttle signal
Thank you so much,

Em3ev said:
[ The PAS display/controller that we offer connects directly to the CA plug. It doesn’t connect to the throttle connector ].

I have one display (see photo) that looks identical, but not bought from them,
can I try to connect it with my magnets pas? without damaging the controller?

Em3ev always gave me information about the things I buy from him, but my display and pas is not his, so I did not have precise details.

The pas I could not use it, but I need it in case of control.
IMG_20190105_143015-1.jpg

zeccato said:
]Thanks, but it's still not enough,
I could do damage,

None , the PAS cannot be connected to the CA plug

I f you want to open your controller and look, you might be lucky...

If it happens to be labelled PAS, then you'd need to solder a wire to that pad, and another from a 5 volt feed and another to ground

Get it wrong and you will of course risk screwing the controller
on that controller it was labelled TA

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 15.41.36.jpg

NeilP said:
I f you want to open your controller and look, you might be lucky...

If it happens to be labelled PAS, then you'd need to solder a wire to that pad, and another from a 5 volt feed and another to ground

Get it wrong and you will of course risk screwing the controller
on that controller it was labelled TA

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 15.41.36.jpg
The following question is about pas connection without any display:

Is the TA as seen (foto) there, is it compatible with my pas (standart) with magnets?
If yes, tell me please: where to solder the 3 wires pas?

Will this work the USB software settings for the pas? because I would like the pas set at 30%.

Note: I programmed the controller to 11A 30, / 0.1, / I use it at 48v.IMG_20190120_071052.jpgIMG_20190120_071644.jpg

zeccato said:
The following question is about pas connection without any display:
Yes, I fully understand that

zeccato said:
Is the TA as seen (foto) there, is it compatible with my pas (standart) with magnets?
Absolutely no way I can say for sure..the only way is to try it and see and risk damaging something if wrong. It probably is OK will probably work, but I'd never guarantee it !

zeccato said:
If yes, tell me please: where to solder the 3 wires pas?
I already did
NeilP said:
The three wires from your device will be ground, 5 volt in, and signal out from the hall sensor.
ground..connect to any common ground on the board
take 5 volt from any convenient spare 5 volt pad.
So red to 5 volt pad
black to and pad
the remaining one to the TA pad, then cross your fingers and hope

zeccato said:
Will this work the USB software settings for the pas? because I would like the pas set at 30%.

Note: I programmed the controller to 11A 30, / 0.1, / I use it at 48v.IMG_20190120_071052.jpgIMG_20190120_071644.jpg
It might..no way to be sure without trying .

I'd say all of us on here have destroyed more than one controller by tinkering g/ doing something wrong..if you can't afford to blow it up . leave it alone...sorry..but you only learn by experience..and then the next time you do what you might have done before..it does not work because the manufacturer has changed something.

NeilP said:
I'd probably wire the PAS to these.
+5v red
GND 6 to black
TA to the other one
Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 15.03.53.png
Thank You so much, especially NeilP,
it works, too with the USB software program.

Tomorrow I will solder the wires.

We have all been in your situation , and have been helped in similar ways

Glad it is all working

for future readers, a solution to adding pas to any controller with a throttle input is here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87116
or here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104143

Back