Dual mode controller/motor

roshan

1 W
Hey guys, say I'm using a MXUS 3000W motor .. but I want to run this motor in two modes. A street legal mode which runs the motor at 750W max and an off-road mode which basically pushes the motor to its limits. What's the best way to do this?

Thanks guys!

if your laws limit you to a 750W motor, technically, it will never be legal. Limiting it a 750W output can be done with the controller or a CA, but it's still a 3000W motor. Easiest way to do that would probably be with a CA.

Actually, the easiest way might be with a three way switch and two cheap controllers. A six fet and a twelve or fifteen.
Use the three way switch to route a positive voltage to the two different key switches on the controllers.
That's what I'd planned to do under the tank in the picture on my bike in the signature below.
Entirely different current profiles driving different wattages on the rear gearmotor.

There are controllers with a three speed switch option.

But the nicest solution would be a controller with a direct plug in Cycleanalyst plug. Then a few beeps on the CA buttons can change your amps to any level you like. at 48v, 15 amps would be legal, or you can dial it up to any level up to the controllers max amps.

Grin cyclery for the controllers and CA.

wesnewell said:
if your laws limit you to a 750W motor, technically, it will never be legal.

If that was true, then no ebike would ever be legal, since every motor can be safely pushed to power higher than the legal limit.

John in CR said:
wesnewell said:
if your laws limit you to a 750W motor, technically, it will never be legal.

If that was true, then no ebike would ever be legal, since every motor can be safely pushed to power higher than the legal limit.
Well, it's true. A 3000W rated motor is still a 3000W rated motor even if you run it at a max of 750W. Here, because of the way the law is written, stating motor rating, and not the power used from it, it would technically be illegal. You could argue that it's only 750W until the cows come home, but you'd still have to pay the fine because the motor rating exceeds the maximum allowed by law. Yes, stupid people make stupid laws. But it will always be like that with 90% of the worlds population being stupid. As for the legality, I wouldn't worry about it. Just tell the cops it's a 750W motor, 99% of them won't even know what a watt is, much less the relationship between the watts and the motor.

Three speed controllers modulate frequency across the three phases, not amps, as far as I have seen.

The reason I proposed two controllers was to drive two different amperages.

With a 72v battery you need to tweak amps.

I think a three way switch with 2 controllers sound like a reasonable thing to do! Wonder if that can be done on the controller itself.. as in the switch dictates whether 6 FET is used or 12.

roshan said:
Hey guys, say I'm using a MXUS 3000W motor .. but I want to run this motor in two modes. A street legal mode which runs the motor at 750W max and an off-road mode which basically pushes the motor to its limits. What's the best way to do this?

Thanks guys!

The Adappto controllers have 3 programmable power profiles, you can set phase amps, batt. amps, speed limit and acceleration.
You know your batt. voltage so then it is just to set the amp to get the "wattage level" you want.

Lars

Back