Has anyone used this twist throttle with regen braking?

chucho

1 kW
throttleoffbike.jpg

"2-way acceleration with “regen braking,” LED & off switch,
clamps to standard 7/8” diameter handlebar

Our unique patented (U.S.A. # 6,144,125 plus other pending) electronic throttle looks to be the picture of simplicity, and it is; but, we are embarressed to say how many complete redesigns, heaps of scrapped out protype parts and cold cash we spent perfecting this now simple reliable device. First of all, it clamps onto a standard 7/8" diameter bicycle or scooter handlebar and takes the place and position of the normally right side mounted derailleur twist grip. Basically, it is a torsion spring balanced two way twist grip device with an integral off switch at the home position, with multicolor smart LED's for operator information. After you have pedaled or pushed the vehicle (a unique safety feature of this design) up to 2-3 mph, turning the twist grip counter-clockwise accelerates the vehicle; releasing the grip allows the vehicle to coast and twist grip to return to its home position; turning the grip clockwise at any time, turns the hub motor into a generator and you get progressive regeneration or electric braking, efficiently putting energy back into the batteries. One nifty, but easily taken for granted feature of the design, is that actuating the electric brake at any time automatically shuts off the motoring as the hub motor-generator is either one or the other; it can not simultaneously be both, no matter what condition or age of the vehicle. When the motor device is a seperate structure from the braking device as in other designs, this safety feature cannot always be taken for granted as parts wear, maintenance is neglected and people forget to tend to it. Highly intuitive, this throttle is quickly mastered and appreciated by new riders as it eliminates the skills necessary to master gear shifing; one merely twists and goes or brakes; you don't even have to remember to turn it off, as even this is automatic. This throttle is specifically designed to be used only as part of our #500W System; any other use instantly voids our warranties and it is not recommended."

Has anyone use it? Could it be used with a kelly controler?

This is how it works: (said in the patented sheed)

A contactless electronic control system particularly adapted to drive a motorized wheel hub includes a tubular bracket and a tubular grip member encircling the bracket and connected thereto by a rotary connection so that the grip member can rotate about the bracket. A ring magnet having diametrically opposite poles is mounted in the grip member for rotation therewith and a Hall Effect device is mounted to the bracket. When the grip member is rotated in one direction so as to move one of the poles toward the device, the device produces a proportional positive electrical signal and when the grip members rotated relatively in the opposite direction so as to move the other of the poles toward the device, the device produces a proportional negative signal. Preferably, the magnet is positioned between concentric inner and outer pole pieces and the grip member is biased to a home position which locates the magnets poles on opposite sides of the sensor. Preferably also, the control system includes a current source and a control circuit which responds to the proportional voltages produced by the Hall Effect device to develop drive signals suitable for causing a brushless DC motor to operate at various speeds in both the forward and reverse directions.

I have never used kelly and i dont realy know how it works so i dont know if we could use it :roll:

chucho said:
That description is simply that of just about any hall-based throttle, although it is not actually a negative voltage on those (and probably not on this one either). But the opposing magnets do change the voltage in essentially the same way.

The big thing that matters is how the mechanics of the throttle spring-center the thing, and then how it's output is handled by the controller (or intermediary box, if any).

amberwolf said:
chucho said:
That description is simply that of just about any hall-based throttle, although it is not actually a negative voltage on those (and probably not on this one either). But the opposing magnets do change the voltage in essentially the same way.

The big thing that matters is how the mechanics of the throttle spring-center the thing, and then how it's output is handled by the controller (or intermediary box, if any).

Yes, I would love knowing how many wires come out :roll: I have been reading about negative voltage but i dont realy know how to extrapolate it to the throtle :?

It goes direct to the controller... no intermediary box that i can see.

This is the description of the controler:
"24 volt, 500 watt, with integral plugs & regenerative braking

Our compact custom designed patent pending electronic controller with its integral plugs and heat sink is truly unique, as it is the only one anywhere featuring an infinity speed adjustable, precision closed-loop motor torque control with full regenerative braking of a three phase A.C. brushless sensorless motor-generator. The regenerative electric brake function is all weather and it can in most cases replace the mechanical brake. This masterpiece, invented and personally designed by one of the most famous and creative electronic designers in the U.S.A. just for our Electric Wheel, is truly hi-tech state of the art and is not only more powerful in the generator mode than the motoring mode, but it is also more efficient! It is exclusively match designed to work with our 500W Series Hub Motors & battery packs; attempting to use it with other motors or battery packs instantly voids all warranties and may well destroy it."

I think in the patent appears the way it works but my english and electronics knolege is not good enought to understand :(

http://www.google.com/patents/US6690127

there's this cheap one that claims it can.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Wuxing-newest-half-twist-throttle-2_62067628818.html

what you think?

i ordered 5 of these!
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Wuxing-newest-half-twist-throttle-2_62067628818.html

its three wires. they'll put any plug on you want. they ONLY sell in small quantities strangely.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
i ordered 5 of these!

its three wires. they'll put any plug on you want. they ONLY sell in small quantities strangely.

Explain how three wires can do that, because I can’t figure out how.

i was told you can setup a regular one direction throttle ( with three wires) to do regen by calibrating the throttle so acceleration starts beyond the beginning of the throttle range of motion, so youre essentially braking when the throttle is anywhere but after a maybe a 10 degree twist. this is setup just like those except that calibrated neutral is at the resting point of the throttle, if that makes sense. sounds simple enough to make, why they arent more common i dont understand and instead regen hooked up to the brake lever seems the norm.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
i was told you can setup a regular one direction throttle ( with three wires) to do regen by calibrating the throttle so acceleration starts beyond the beginning of the throttle range of motion, so youre essentially braking when the throttle is anywhere but after a maybe a 10 degree twist. this is setup just like those except that calibrated neutral is at the resting point of the throttle. if that makes sense.

Okay, that makes sense. It requires a special controller rather than one with separate throttle and braking inputs.

Balmorhea said:
Hummina Shadeeba said:
i was told you can setup a regular one direction throttle ( with three wires) to do regen by calibrating the throttle so acceleration starts beyond the beginning of the throttle range of motion, so youre essentially braking when the throttle is anywhere but after a maybe a 10 degree twist. this is setup just like those except that calibrated neutral is at the resting point of the throttle. if that makes sense.

Okay, that makes sense. It requires a special controller rather than one with separate throttle and braking inputs.

just the vesc. i hope. i asked a couple people who understand the vesc well and they think it wont be a problem.

Back