Need replacement spoke

ort5

1 W
Hi all,

I broke a spoke on my wheel, and I need a replacement. I think it's 215mm, but I'm not positive. It's a 26" wheel with a Heinzmann 36V hub motor from an EVG bike. Anybody know where I can get some?

Thanks,
Dave

I would suggest you go to a local bicycle shop and ask them to sell you a spoke.

If you want to avoid breaking spokes again, you should then have a knowlegeable wheel builder check all of your spokes to see that they aren't too loose or too tight.

cerewa said:
If you want to avoid breaking spokes again, you should then have a knowlegeable wheel builder check all of your spokes to see that they aren't too loose or too tight.

And that you're not running your motor so hot that it's weakening the already crappy default spokes at the hub. *plink* *plink* :oops: :wink:

I've tried 2 local bike shops with no luck. They have 210mm, and then like 250+.

The spoke broke at the threads in the nipple, not at the hub.

johnrobholmes, can you give me a quote for say 5 or 10 spokes shipped to 02180?

Thanks,
Dave

For DT stainless 2mm (14ga) it would be $0.70 each. Shipping would be under $5 as they should fit in a flat rate priority envelope, and the length is 212mm. 3mm difference will not matter

For Wheel Master steel 2mm spokes it would be $0.45 each, same shipping. They are 216mm. Decent quality, not stainless. Haven't ever ridden them so I won't build up wheels for customers with em. My guess is that you get what you pay for.

They all come with nipples.

If you can give me a data sheet for the hub and the rim type I can double check the length. Most spokes have about 9mm of thread, and you can measure them by simply pulling them across a ruler with the bend hooked on the end. If you have your old spoke this will be good enough.

I'm building some custom wheels for a tadpole recumbent and got my spokes here: http://www.jensonusa.com/search/?s=spokes&btnSearch.x=0&btnSearch.y=0

Check around locally. There are some shops that can cut their own spokes.

my (3X heinzmann in 559mmx19 mavic wheel) spokes are 235mm, maybe you should rebuild the wheel and lace it up single cross, like holmes has shown on his bafang wheelbuilding thread in selling/surplus. some people think the 12mm spokes are poor chinese steel quality. also i have seen people place the spoke washer under the head to reduce the flexing at the hub.

The standard Crystalyte 12 ga 2.6 mm spokes suck! too heavy and not strong enuff! Get the DT or forged stainless. U can even go 2mm in good spokes and it is unlikely they will break. Thats whaI do and my trike has large wheel sideloadings! Never broke a spoke!
otherDoc

Back