Wheel Truing Stand

Nimbuzz

1 kW
Has anyone a recommendation for a wheel truing stand for X5 Crystalyte hub motors? I'm looking to buy one. Parktool TS-2 or Pedro's Precision Trueing Stand come up so far but Park reviews say it doesn't work with 20mm axles.

What is the axle size of an X5?

Thanks,
Al

Thanks, but what is the round diameter? Because I'm wondering how the flat-sided axle will sit in the V type axle holders on the truing stands.

14mm round diameter. You shouldn't have any problem mounting it up in a truing stand if the hub can fit on your bike.

My favourite truing stand is the bike that the wheel is installed in, and a plastic pen.

A simple clamp on dial indicator will get the job done on the bike. Don't forget to balance the wheel for the smoothest operation at speed.

Thanks guys, But how do you balance the wheel and keep the bike off the ground while truing on bike?

Bike stand, or get creative with blocks, workmates, etc.

I briefly considered making an adapter so I can spin bicycle wheels on the car wheel balancer, but trial and error proved to work just fine. With the bike on a stand, I spin the wheel up above 1000rpm rpm and note any vibration. Tape a small weight to a spoke and retest, then move the weight a couple of spokes over. You'll find the points of least and most vibration and then you can adjust the amount of weight until it runs smooth.

I use a small jack under the kickstand bolt to raise the front wheel. (front hub motor and lots of lead on back) I also use a dial indicator clamped on the front fork and pieces of tape to mark the bad areas.

Well, nowadays I have a bike repair stand but before that I used to simply flip bikes on their backs.

While spinning the rim by hand, I'll take a pen and alternate between placing it next to or on top of the brake pad. This way I can move it very gradually closer to the rim, and I've found this to be the best way to get a wheel true/round. What it does is, at a certain point it'll just barely make noise on a spot between two spokes or so, adjust and repeat. This way you can get it to the point where it's not really possible to make it any better due to imperfections in the rim, fairly quickly too.

I thought about most of the above, but wanted to be able to work in the house. Already had some scrap 3/16 aluminum angle (picture 1), so did some drilling, hack sawing, and filing to make a wheel holder similar to one side of my trailer. This is the first lacing I have attempted, but with the nearest LBS 50 miles away it seemed like a practical DIY project. The lacing was pretty easy and tomorrow I'll finish truing it. Reading Sheldon Brown's tips helped too.

i use a bike trainer to do mine

The best thing to do is just take off the tire and tube and then put the wheel on the bike again. You then tape or clamp something like a long screwdriver (or whatever is handy) across the forks or frame so that you can do the up and down (round) truing. Then you place some other measure to get the left and right true. It's really hard to get the roundness correct without removing the tire and tube.

Back