Since it's been cooler, I've been pedalling a little on the commute home, jsut to keep my legs moving so my knees don't hurt quite as much when I get home. But the chain hasnt' wanted to cooperate, the last few days, catching on something along the path from IGH output to transfer axle input. Releasing tension and retrying usually loosens it but is really annoying, and it never happened until now.
I examined everything and could find no reason for it to have changed, but the culprit turned out to be a small tab of metal on the "arms" of the cover that sticks up in the cargo bed, to keep stuff from getting into the chainline. This is what it looked like back when I built the piece, before adding the cargo deck and seatbox:
The problematic tab is that at the front edge of it, right against the chain in the center of teh image.
The fix for now was to just cut off the rightside "arm". I'll probably redo the whole cover later to make it removable, since this being welded in place means I have to flip the trike on it's left side to be able to manipulate the chain to get it on or off the transfer axle sprocket for any reason.
WHile dealing with the issue, i also fixed another problem that deosnt' happen often, but on really bumpy areas (intersections mostly) if the chain is in motion then the cranks-to-IGH chain can come off the IGH input sprocket and jam up in the bolts that secure the 28T to the 18T (the actual IGH sprocket).
So I set the welder on 3/4 high, to ensure realy good penetration, and welded spots along teh join between IGH sprocket and 28T. I did a spot on one side, then one on the other, then bakc to the first side, etc., working my way around it, to minimize warping. Then I removed the bolts once it cooled off, and reinstalled it on the IGH.
It's still only welded at the center, so if I ever have to I can cut it off and leave the original 18T IGH sprocket intact.
Note that this only fixes the jam problem, not that it comes off from the severe bumps...I don't think I have a fix for that, unless I add a roller on the top of the chain just in front of the IGH sprocket (assuming it's flopping off the top; it shouldn't be on the bottom because the derailer is right there).
I pedalled without motor in the lowest IGH and crank gears for a while in the yard, until I couldn't handle it anymore, without problems. Then I took a break and afterward pedalled aorund the street for a while, in all the different gears, until I couldn't do it anymore.
Then I turned the motor and lights on and headed back to the house. As I got up the driveway, I smelled something bad and then saw smoke wisping out from under the plastic "front triangle" panels; all the wiring in there is only lighting-voltages now, so I switched off lights and got off the seat to open it up and unplig the lighting battery.
Nothing in the lighting turned off or dimmed when it happened, and the breaker on the ligthin batt didn't pop, either.
I opened up the panel and found a single wire smoked and melted-off insulation. It's the supply voltage wire for the downlighting.
Why that would smoke, and none of the lights even dim, I cna't figure out. But eventually I found the cause of the problem, after an hour or so of continuity testing--the lefthand under-handlebar light strip was high-resistance-shorting to the handlebar itself.
Apparently it's flexible PCB has it's copper supply traces on the back, and is just covered in black paint, which wore thru and then touched the chrome bars jsut enough to cause the 20g (or smaller) supply wire to melt, but AFAICT only inside the triangle area and only for the few inches between the massive cable bundle and the point it connects to the main star-conection of light-batt-positive there.
I cut back the bundle insulation a ways and found no sign of melting insulation or other damage, so I guess the bunlde heatsunk that wire and kept it from mleting, while the open-air part didnt' get any airflow and overheated and melted. The inch or so closest to the star connection also didn't melt(heatsunk by all those other wires, I guess).
Thankfuly this iwre didn't touch and melt against any others, or I'd ve probably had a recurrence of the incident almost a year ago where I screwwed up while wiring stuff with power on, and destroyed a whole wire bundle/cable doing that.
I reinsulated the LED strips on the bars and remounted them, so that shouldnt' happen again, repaired the damaged wire, and now it seems to be fine.
In the process of fixing the strips on the bars, I also found that my continuously-clicking turn signal unit problem (which recently started doing that again, after weeks of not doing it) is acutally caused by a wire issue (not known what exactly yet) right where the wires from the switch come out of the handlebar mounted control unit.
I strpped insulation back and see no problem there, so I gotta open up the unit and see....