brake cut off wiring?

lowbudget

10 W
Hi folks, I need to hook up a brake cut off, and am not sure of the wiring. The brake levers have 3 wires each, and are wired together. The controller (bac1000) has a wire labelled brake1. Originally, there was a torque sensing crank, pas, etc, I have no idea exactly what.Would there be 3 wires from the levers for regen? I have a mid drive using a geared hub, so that is of no use to me. Perhaps a brake light? I don, t know. Such a small thing, been too stubborn to ask, and now it, s the last thing. For the sake of my mental state, such as it is, please help!

While I, m at it, could someone tell me wht I need to enable cruise control? Is the wire from the controller marked cruise control, simply grounded by a momentary switch? Or do I need to feed voltage through a switch and into the cruise control wire? Same basic question as the brake cut out, only I really have to have that. Thanks for any help you can give me.

check continuity on the three wires when actuating the lever versus static. see if one pair of wires is closed and then opens and if another is open and then closes the circuit.

There are two types of e-brake levers that I know of, the first have 2 wires and are simple switches which open and close, the other are 3-wire type which use a hall-effect device and have +5V,GND and signal wires.

On most of my controllers there are two wires for cruise control. If you join them together then cruise will automatically activate after holding the throttle steady for about 8 seconds. To manually control when cruise activates run the wires to a momentary switch on the handlebars and simply press and release it when you want to activate cruise.

-R

Normally, controllers have two-wire brake connectors. Some of the more modern ones have the three-wire ones.

The two wires are signal and ground. They are normally referred to as "low voltage" brake. When you join those two wires via a brake switch, it cuts the motor.

You occasionally get a wire referred to as the "high voltage" brake switch. This one will cut the motor when joined via a brake switch to any 5v wire.

To answer your question: For your switches to work, you have to connect one wire to any 5v wire (red throttle or PAS), one to ground and the other to the brake signal wire. The latter two are in the two-wire brake connector. They have to be in the right sequence. The more common colours on the brake switch are red 5v, black 0v, anything else signal. Another common one is red 5v, yellow 0v and blue signal.

Thanks guys, I have it now. Really needed someone to write it down. Simple enough, but sometime, somethings, will just not compute, no matter how many times I go over them. I knew this, and I knew that I knew it, but just couldn, t get to it. I have a brain injury, doesn, t matter how simple or complex a thing is, or how many times I go over it, somethings aRe just blocked. Thanks again for the info.

The brake1 wire works with a 2 wire switch, which ofcourse, my levers are not. I tried every combination of wiring on the hall sensor levers and get no switching in any combination. Arrgh! There is a brake2 wire, which is on a different plug, and I missed it earlier. I only really need a cut off, and I have managed that, if only on one lever. Still I would like to get these to work, or at least try to understand why I am unable to get them to. Also there is a single cruise control wire, which has 5v. if I ground this while holding the throttle fully open, then I should be able to release the throttle? Or, does the throttle have to remain open (held onto) and the controller simply maintains speed? I guess more simply put, will it allow hands free riding? If it doesn, t go to ground, where does it go? What am I not seeing?
What the heck does Hdq stand for? I have learned this before, a couple times, but didn, t get it down on here (my tablet), which I must or I, m buggered. I have a brain injury, and have a proper shunt of a time learning new things. I simply don, t retain, well, anything really. Most of the things involved building this bikee required only basic knowledge, ingrained you might say. Controllers, and their functions/installment etc are new, and I am constantly struggling to recall what I learned twice yesterday, and everyday for the last week! Lol No shit, I need to get things recorded in one place where I know to get them. For ebikes, here is logical. For instance, my job for today was hooking up the brake levers. I, ve thought of nothing else, done nothing else. So far they are apart, and I can make one work, but not really a good days work.lol what do ya do? Wear a helmut guys! Ì

Shorting the cruise while throttling will hold speed - hands free. Triggering ebrakes, 'ignition' killswitch , or throttling again should kick off the cruise.
Once it's been triggered, it will grab and hold speed that you've held for 7 seconds.

Are your brakes different? One 2-wire, one 3-wire? If they're the same, just splice them both to the same plug. If they're different try connecting to both connections....but it may only accept one type at a time.

They are the same (3wire) but I don, t know what wires go where. I have one extra lever, which is a 2 wire, and works when I ground the Brake1 wire through it. I can swap switches, but I only have one 2 wire switch. Is there an advantage to the 3 wire set up?

Yes you did, I should have said that I can, t get them to work. no switching takes place no matter which combination I try. I have tried each, at least a dozen times, probably more. My brain injury makes me thorough in these sort of things if somewhat less than efficient. this project has cost me 15lbs, and much anxiety/frustration. I often feel quilty about being on disability, not working. I shouldn, t. I am buggered, I used to build motorcycles, my own frames, bodywork, everything. I was very sharp, knowledgable and skilled. now I, m struggling to wire a dang brake lever. this is by far, the simplest project, I, ve ever undertaken, but has been the most difficult to complete. Took me 2 weeks to figure out how to jig the thing up fer chrissakes! my brain says, well, theres not much to this, I, ll just whip this together, but reality is quite different. I have no idea what happened to me. I was found wandering around, with no idea who I was etc, that is all I know. My life was truly taken from me in a heartbeat. I had everything I wanted, lived in a beautiful place, 100 grand a year, 15 years ago, and lot, s of friends etc. Now I have a room, no social contacts, no money. By far, the greatest amount of my time is spent trying to recall what I was doing, or thinking about. 24/7. I, m not asking forsympathy, shit happens, and I lived hard. I, m lucky to be here at all.I do ask for understanding, and some patence, there is an intelligent human being in here, just hard to tell sometimes.

Maybe it would help if you used paint to draw out your wiring? Might help others see the color and wire combinations better.

As I'm understanding it, you can get one brake (2-wire) to work by itself, but you can't get the other brake (2-wire) to work by itself? Or together with the working one?

Nope, lol, 2 wire works fine on the brake1 wire. I only have one two wire switch though. Not a big problem. I have two 3wire levers, but couldn, t get them to work. I had overlooked the brake2 wire which exits from the plug to the motor. I, ll see if that works today, but if it doesn, t , stuff it. Lol . I need to get the whole brake switch business, out of my head. It has halted production for the lastcouple days, and is really not important. I have a brake cut off, move the hell on. Lol. Sometimes I get stuck, like a skipping record, need a kick to move forward. I wrote in the post, that I have tried the various combinations a dozen times. Really 2 or 3 dozen is likely more accurate, stuck, all freakin day, Gotta change the record. Lol. Needed, one 2 wire brake switch, done. Nothing to it.

Lol ha probably easier that way. You got the brakes from the recycle center didn't you? Possible they just don't work at all?

If you don't have ebrakes set up, I would disconnect your cruise - ie don't hook up cruise until your brakes are hooked up (safety).

Brakes are wired soldered and shrink tubed. Took about 15 minutes. Lol finished the last few connections, and redid a few I wasn, t happy with. would like a keyed ignition switch and a cruise buttton, but I can add them later. I, m thinking of a tether killswitch. Just take the tether part when your off the bike, but I haven, t given up on a key yet. My fan is hooped, second one. first one got hooked to 40v, poof. I don, t know about this one, hooked it to my little converter, and it just doesn, t go. thankfully they, re cheap. Lol I, m thinking 12v in, fuse, switch, fan, simple. No? Well I, m 0 for 2 so far, lol.

Lord thunderin, the wire that is labelled brake2, is not brake anything. It shows it as such here, and says it is gray, but it is in fact orange, and goes to the motor. There, I, m fairly certain, it connects to a thermistor. I, d forgotten about the motor being protected, nice. Lol. I really need to get a programing cable and see what this controller's settings are. I believe they are rather moderate, which is probably best for me, but there, s only one way to find out. I, m still curious what the 12v throttle wire is for? Any thoughts.

Back