new barfang kit Lcd dead.

sammyg

10 µW
Hello all,
I have finally got my barfang mid drive. I have also been very busy converting my old lipo battery from 48V to 36V.
Mainly due to the weight factor and the new kit only needs 36V. It was a bit of an effort as I had to get a new bms 12cell to replace the 16cell.
and totally redesign and make the battery case. I will upload a few pics when i can.

After bench testing the barfang the lcd does not turn on, devastated. I get 37V at the on switch for the C965A barfang Lcd but its dead. I dont get the big spark when I connect the battery to the barfang motor, odd. is this normal.
If any one has any ideas on solving this problem please reply as i am now pondering on the idea to hack into the loom and try my CA although i would prefer not to cause i dont want to fry anything as Its a new kit and I have not done any research on adapting or mods yet.

If anyone knows the wiring conversion from the 5 pin barfang lcd to the 6pin CA This would save me the problem of getting another Lcd.
It is also possible that it may not be the Lcd but it seem like the easiest place to start.
I do have the pin config for the barfang. and the pin config of the CA but they are not matching.
barfang pin config controller side is. from R to L. 1 gnd. 2 Txd. 3 P+. 4 Rxd. 5 Pl. CA pin config from CA side is 1 Vbatt. 2gnd. 3shunt-. 4shunt+. 5speed. 6 throttle overide
If only the kit worked. arrrrrr.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the bafang was unplugged from power the caps may have held enough charge that the differental in voltage prevented the spark (rapid equalization of voltage).

Sadly I have not yet figured out the CA plug wiring, someone may have.

Worst case scenario, I should have a C961 LCD and one other which is self contained that would work fine if you need to replace them, I also have one additional C961 since I don't use their LCD anymore as it's too cumbersome and prone to breakage and I have external infineon anyway (which is connected to the CA).

I can tell you open the controller, there is a black plug to the motor which is 4 wires. +5v (red i think), 5v ground followed by 2 more leads... one is pedalec cadence sensor, the other is the Speed pickup from the wheel. CA can't divide sufficiently to passively get wheel speed from the phase lines on motor as that would be motor RPM. I would suggest reading the material on eBikes.ca about converting the DP version to a standalone, connect the remote current shunt included and use the Pedalec feed to the CA if you wish to handle assistance levels of PAS there... finally use the wheel sensor line to send speed signal to the CA. The mods should be fairly simple and there is sufficient space to drill a new hole for grommet through bottom of BBS (accessible when you remove the 3 allen bolts holding the controller in place.

One final though, unplug your connectors and double check for a bent pin, specifically the Pack VCC and 5V+ and 5V GND pins as this would likely cause your issue, perhaps it even sent VCC (full pack voltage) to the LCD on an improper low voltage line which in itself will kill the LCD too.

If you are interested in a replacement C961 or (I have to check the model) the self contained (no external power button or assist level selector) PM me for a price and include zip for a shipping quote. There are other sources obviously but I will give you a good discount and ship 2-3 day.

Hope this helps and feel free to post here or PM me if you need further diagnostic assistance or solution advice / trouble shooting.

-Mike

sammyg said:
...the wiring conversion from the 5 pin barfang lcd to the 6pin CA

Keplers thread has the CA connection http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60375&start=100#p1019353

But Kep's thread includes the standard controller and interface I thought...

thanks heaps for the info guys, after resorting to a box of beer over the latter part of the weekend i will check the controller this week first and see what i find.

had a look at the link to the conversion and its not an option without a working screen or a program adaptor and I have neither,. its also not what i would call that easy but worth it to get the Ca going.

Easy, ahhh.

I have low cost USB->TTL adapters which work great with ControllerST software used to udpate the settings on the bafang controller (and most other with proper adapter you can make all yourself.

-Mike

Other option is I ship you a screen and if it works and yours arrives, ship the new one back to me for a refund less postage...

The problem has been fixed.
I would like to thank all for replying as the information given on technical information is invaluable and helps us less technically qualified home builders, mainly myself keep the projects getting built and finished.
The problem was in the bms hookup of the cells configuration. I did take the controller out to check all connections were correct. Even though the voltage was reading 38V at the battery output. I can only think that under load the voltage was going below what was needed to supply the controller, however in the early stage i did check the V while connected to the controller and it was over 37V. reconfiguring the 9,10,11,12 cells to the bms and connecting the kit the meter came on and the moto started.

I just thought I would let all know as another home builder might suffer the same problem and as usual, or in my case its human error.

Thanks all.

sam.

Back