FranKingCharger?

Evoforce

10 kW
72V Kingpan Charger is not activating the cooling fan. The fan is good but not activating. The charger is charging. Anyone else been through this and what did you fix? Is there somewhere else I can tie it in and just let it run whenever the charger is plugged in? Am I going to have to turn this into a FranKingCharger?

If you can't fix it, perhaps just turn down the wattage? It would be a frankencharger to run that fan on a separate power supply, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.

Yea, I was hoping not to FrankinCharger it! I know how to hack it with a separate supply but was trying to keep it original. Thanks for the moral support dogman dan.

P.S. I'm calling it a possible Fran(kingpan)Charger Maybe I should have said titled FranKingCharger. I think I'll make that title change. Thanks Dan!

It depends on the actual charger as to how they activate. Some larger ones rely on the IGBTs to initiate the fan.

Its not activating the fan as it normally would. It now has made priority on my list. I have it torn apart and need to get her done. Charger working great except the 12V side of operations. Can't use it without the fan. 88V 10amp charger. Gets hot fast here in Arizona. Nothing looks abnormal, just no activation of the fan but the fan checks out good.

If you wanted to bring it by we might be able to look at it here...but I probably won't have an available day off to do stuff like that until at least the second week of August.

(sometime later in August or early September I hope to get a week off).

amberwolf said:
If you wanted to bring it by we might be able to look at it here...but I probably won't have an available day off to do stuff like that until at least the second week of August.

(sometime later in August or early September I hope to get a week off).

Thanks! I'll have to see. It has temporarily gone to side burner because of an electric lawn mower conversion to lithium that I need to add a little active cooling to it. It is now a 40V mower with variable speed, a light, slide in/out battery packs, and soon to have active cooling. Obviously, I melted through a couple of wires, and I also feel the batteries are getting too hot so... buck converter and pc fan and a bunch of cooling holes. You know when out mowing in 110-115 degree weather it is easy to get toasty! I might have to do the same thing to this bicycle charger if I don't find the fault by using a buck converter to operate the fan.

Have you tried to locate the 12V rail on the pcb? you could just run it directly to the fan, so it would always stay on.

miuan said:
Have you tried to locate the 12V rail on the pcb? you could just run it directly to the fan, so it would always stay on.[/q

Yes I have thought about that as a possibility, but as of yet have not figured it out. Would sure help to have a schematic. Might get to it this weekend.

Back