Ebikekit front geared hub motor 20amp limit. *help*

BobTheBuilder

100 mW
I just connected a 6fet infineon controller to my Ebikekit front geared hub motor and it won't engage at 25amps. I backed it down, one amp at a time from 25a, 24a, etc. , and finally it runs smooth at 20amps. But that's not enough power. My question is, can a Ebikeling geared front hub motor (same as MXUS) handle 25amps? Or better yet 30amps at 48v? I'm gonna try my Lyen 9fet controller but it would be nice to know before I start taking my Ebikes apart. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. I only have 160mm diameter or less to work with or else I would use my MAC geared hub motor. Thank you.

Neither the controller nor the motor would normally switch off if you set the current too high. Is it the battety that can't supply the current or do you have something like a Cycle Analyst?

I'm clueless how that is happening. Seems like it should just run on any amp setting.

How exactly are you turning up, or turning down amps? Are you reprogramming the controller?

Question for you:

Does that motor have a freewheel/clutch in it?

If so perhaps your controller is spinning the motor backwards inside the casing so you hear it hum or whine as it runs, but since the case is freewheeled from the motor, it doesn't spin the case when it starts backwards.

Hi Amberwolf. It's running fine and cruises top speed of 40mph. That's on a very smooth, slight downhill road with no headwind. I had the motor in a 20" wheel on another Ebike @ 48v 20ah and it did the same thing. I thought running it as a mid drive would ease up some stress because this Mongoose CX has a 3 speed hub with a low first gear. It still lacks the amps to produce torque. I programmed it from 25amps and went down to 24a, 23a, 22a, etc. It only rides nice at 20amps battery/40amps phase. Tomorow I'm swapping in a Ebikeling hub motor. Same size to fit in the brackets I already made. Will post new results asap.

Attachments

• 20150907_190601.jpg
    20150907_190601.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 956
The new front hub motor ran nice @ 48v 10ah with a 22amp generic controller. After this new motor is installed, I'll start with a 25amp 6fet Infineon contoller. If it moves 20% better on the 5 mile test ride, then I'll bump it up to 30amps with a 9fet 3077 Infineon. If it works I'll expect this Mongoose to reach 35mph a little faster with the 30% increase of power. I'm really just wasting my time messing with it until I can save up for the Transmagnetics BLDC motor than I really want. This will keep me busy during the Winter months. This thing needs a whole lot of Love. I have a plastic gas tank to hide the controller/wires. The battery tray will fit 67v 20ah of Lipo no problem. A rear hub motor would make life simple. I'm keeping it a mid drive set up to enjoy shifting the Nexus 3 speed. 1st gear= hillclimbing, 2nd gear really doesn't matter and 3rd gear allows top speed as long as it's "no load"

Back