Magura MT5e (Hydraulic Brakes) for E-Bikes and Pedelecs

GCinDC

100 MW
Just searching around for hydraulic brakes that fit next to a fat motor and found these. Has anyone seen or tried them? Or better yet have dimension specs?

The article says they'll be released this fall: http://www.magura.com/en/bike/products/katalog/produkte/detail/79-2014/speed-emobility-series-1/allgemein/mt5e-fuer-e-bikes-und-pedelecs-1/allgemein.html

575a80d809.jpg

I particularly like the part I bolded below:

MT5E FOR E-BIKES AND S-PEDELECS
FOUR-PISTON BRAKING POWER, NOW ALSO FOR E-BIKES!
The number one upgrade for e-bikes and speed pedelecs is targeting the booming market for e-bikes and speed pedelecs, which have power assistance up to 45 km/h, with the new MT5e.

Demanding All-Mountain and Enduro mountain bikers have already been convinced by the benefits, and these are just as important in traffic: the lightweight brake lever housing, made from MAGURA-exclusive Carbotecture material, offers superb ergonomics when combined with the special pedelec brake lever in die-cast aluminium. The ultra-rigid four-piston brake calliper, with easy brake pad replacement thanks to magnetiXchange pistons, provides superior braking power in any conceivable riding situation. And the legendary MAGURA Royal Blood fluid is not just more environmentally friendly than the DOT brake fluids used by many competitors, it also guarantees long-term low maintenance and therefore low cost of ownership.

MAGURA have come up with a groundbreaking new solution for the MT5e: a mechanical switch located right inside the brake lever. It activates the brake light even before the brakes actually bite, and this will also be useful for power assist systems with a regenerative braking mode, so that it can be engaged as quickly as possible. And should a crash occur, exchanging the unit is much cheaper than with our competitors, because the switch is located within the brake lever housing.”

The MT5e also uses the new Storm HC brake rotors. Compared to the previous Storm models these have even higher stability under load and greater mechanical strength. The new friction surface geometry of the brake discs, which are still 2 mm thick and available from 160 to 203 mm in diameter, provides optimum wear and noise performance.

The new MAGURA MT5e will be available from Autumn 2015 – and by then it will also be factory-fitted to numerous e-bikes and speed pedelecs.

ergonomic, 2-finger, aluminium brake lever
Carbotecture® housing & handlebar clamp
adjustable lever reach All-in-one,
4-piston brake calliper with banjo
magnetiXchange brake pistons for easy brake pad replacement
weight only 380 g
Compatible with all MAGURA HC and Storm SL discs
Color: Polished Black Anodized
Warranty: 5-year leakproof guarantuee for brake levers and cylinders after providing the original proof of purchase.

if anyone figures out where to buy, please provide link! :p

Hey Hillhater, what on-line store did you get that deal from on the Shimanos. When you say "set" do you mean front and back, of just one set of calipers and levers?

The store was OO.com.au, http://www.oo.com.au/Cycling_C29.cfm?sort=Popularity&page=2&price=20.0-50.0&filterhistory=Price
And it was a full set, 2 calliper, pads, levers, piping assembled & pre bled, all in original Shimano packaging.
..but, they seem to be sold out now !
However there do seem to be similar sets on EBay for ~ $50 ish !

Magura has been making ebrake hydro's for several years. Typically they are done in production runs for OEMs only and not sold through retail channels cause the demand just hasn't been there yet.

Looks like that's changing which is cool to see.

I've been running the MT5 front and MT2 rear for a few thousand km this year. I'm biased but the MT5 is an excellent brake and has very strong braking even on my quite long wheel base ebike. That said, the MT7 has noticeably sharper braking with less finger force, so if the switch wasn't necessary and price wasn't an issue, I'd prefer the 7s.

The new MT quad piston series compare very favorably to Zee and Saints if you've ridden those.

The S-pedalec ball end levers are a nice touch, much better to crash on

In performance perhaps. But when I compared it recently, the best economic decision was Zee. The only advantage appeared to be the cut off, which didn't justify the additional expense.

It will be awesome when the prices come down....

Back