advice sought about Currie spoke drive assembly

noexpert

1 µW
SDC10706.jpg
SDC10708.jpg

Hi there,

If there are any menbers who've fitted the Currie USPD spoke adapter assembly I'd very much welcome some advice.
I now need a new wheel on which to mount my Currie motor kit but of the four different wheel hubs (all standard Shimano) tried so far none mate up perfectly, the spokes don't seat fully in the machined grooves.
The drive assembly is advertised even now on EV Deals as being compatible with 36 spoke 3 cross laced 26" wheels, but it seems as though the spokes need to be pulled in by the retaining brackets which will create stress on the spokes and wheel rim
Can anyone comment if they've encountered this issue?
Thanks.

Welcome
Nice to see another 'middirect drive' bike :D

Imo you want to confirm that the spokes don't need laced all from the outside to accomodate the adapter. If not, and can be clamped up without wrecking things, loosen the spokes if needed, clamp it, and then true the wheel!
If things are drastically bad, a little modding to the adapter may be called for as well.

Oh, also, http://custommotoredbicycles.com/sprockets_for_disc_brake_hubs_universal_disc_sprocket_adapter has some hubs, sprockets, wheels, and I think some adapters.

Thank you, nutspecial for your very quick reply!
You prompted me to look further into the different ways wheels can be built and I found that possibly one reason why the adapter doesn't fit well is that I'm trying to attach it to an 8 speed, 135mm axle wheel in a "new" mountain bike and that the original Currie kit may have been designed around a 125mm or 130mm axle hub with fewer gears and less dishing. It does line up much better with an old 6 speed 130mm hub which is part of my ever expanding garage clutter. I've never attempted to re-spoke or true a wheel so I will probably abandon the idea of 8 speeds and fit a longer axle in the still serciceable old 6 speed wheel.
I know the Currie kit is 20th Century technology, bulky and heavy but it does seem to be reliable and has good torque so I'll stick with it for as long as it keeps on going :)

More universal "kit" ...

Spoke Mount Sprocket (Non- Freewheel) (for 36 spoke wheels)
- ≥ $15.19 US Dollars

Features extremely thick rubber gaskets that should be acceptable on most 36 spoke wheels.
Available with a differing variety of tooth count sprockets.

Do a http://www.ebay.co.uk/ search "sprocket mount kit"
UK ebay sprocket mount kit

Gasket kit alone might solve your problem? - £4.17
Not sure if bolt pattern is identical diameter but cheap to try, before buying offered compatible sprockets of #415 pattern (1/2 x 3/16 chain size)

Back