Magic Pie 3 Modification

paracidium

1 mW
Hi,

I built a Magic Pie 3 powered by a 48v 10ah LiFePO4 battery into my bike a few years back and am now looking to upgrade to make things more interesting.

I intend to replace the unreliable internal controller with a 12 fet external from the likes of Lyen or CellMan. Also I will replace the phase wires with a larger csa and extend the hall sensor cables.

I have done a lot of research and have a rough idea on how this will be achieved. Just wandering if anyone on here has any experience of doing this and any advice or links to members previous posts.
I recall seeing several peoples threads detailing their experience with this a few years ago but the posts seem to have disappeared (manly interested in how to get larger csa phase wires out through the existing holes with little modification. ie not having to machine thinner bushings etc.)

Additionally to this I am looking to combine my old 10Ah 48v battery in series with another battery of the same chemistry in order to increase voltage. I have seen conflicting opinions on whether it is ok to mix batteries with different 'Ah' ratings. Can anybody see a problem with me using a 36v 10 or 15 Ah to achieve this?

Apologies for the mammoth post I know it's asking a lot.

Cheers,
Matt

Thanks for the link OCD :)

Yes I'll be removing the entire controller.

I only call it unreliable due to the fact that that if it rains the controller will cut out due to water ingress and then will cease to function for several days.

That's strange it would cut out for several days, aren't those controllers potted in epoxy/gel? Perhaps that's the newer MP4. I've seen video on the GM website with one running underwater in a barrel. I think you're doing the right thing anyway, I wasn't impressed with the performance of my MP4 20" and have plans to do the same. 8)

Yeah the later MP controllers may be potted but mine is open to the elements it appears :p.

I'm well on the way to beginning building my new setup now. I ordered a Lyen 12 FET 84-132V High Voltage Racing Controller and a box full of stuff from Hobbyking, just waiting for it all to arrive.

I might post a write-up of all the parts/equipment that I used at some point if anybody is interested in doing this kind of mod in the future? Might save them many hours trawling the internet!

Well, went ahead and did the modifications :) still running on 48v at the moment but the extra current from the Lyen controller is impressive! Now to build the extra 48~v pack to add in series...

Attachments

• rps20151208_014525555.jpg
    rps20151208_014525555.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 678
Hello there,

This is a magic pie 4 modification for those who need more power!

https://youtu.be/mPWesnkex3k

It is almost ready, Today I went out twice for tests and I'm really impressed with the results!
The torque is amazing.

Back