New Batteries, Low Milage

I have a perplexing problem. Bought new batteries to make more 36 volt packs to replace the ones worn out after about 1 1/2 years, sla type. They are being used on a AmpedBikes 36 volt system. I bought the same 3 12volt 8ah as before that got me just over 10 miles on a charge. These will only get me about 3 before they die out and barely work anymore. The same with the 36 volt 12ah battery pack, only about 1/4 the distance as before. Speed is still the same as before. All are brand new batteries and are charged with the save a battery charger. Fully charged all batteries show full voltage of 13.08 volts. Tried changing out the controller thinking it might be a problem there, but the same problem continues. Is there anything inside the motor that would be causing this problem? Motor seems to work fine, just can't get any distance out of any battery pack anymore.
Bill

you can run a discharge test if you have a hobby charger on each of the 12 sla battery to check for capacity.
Check for any leak or put them on a battery tender to see if it will bring the battery back to life.

I bought some sla for my power wheels a few months back
12V 22AH Schumacher DSR ProSeries
The run time is way less then my other powerwheel which is 12v 5000mah lipo.
With the lipo setup I get over and hour of run time the SLA maybe 20mins.

Are they really HR (high rate) SLA with a recent manufacture date? You understand you can’t use standby lighting SLA, right?

And, things can get wacked in very short order with SLA - one time over discharge, left sitting low SOC (state of charge) for a few days, ‘doesn’t take much to harm good ones. And I’d venture to guess motive SLA’s not selling like they used to so quality isn’t likely what it used to be either?

Wheelchair SLA, stuff like that should have the HR designation. Quality, shelf life, etc., good luck with that as it’s likely gonna be vendor dependent.

Wholeheartedly recommend retiring +100 yr old technology and move into this century's lithium chemistry options.

Bring them back for a refund, because they're old stock and/or improperly maintained lead batteries despite being "unused".

I'm with Ykick, forget the lead and get yourself some lithium batts. On an ebike they're better in every way including cost over the long haul as long as you do your shopping homework, properly care for them, and they aren't defective.

Thanks folks for the answers. I'm trying to save for lithium but haven't made it yet, plus I not sure which type to buy and from whom. I just found it odd that the 12ah came from a different supplier than the 8ah and had the same problem. Might have to go back to single 36 volt designed for e scooters that I had before.

Hi There are only one maker off proper EV batteries They Make 7 Types for different applications EV in the product code stands for electric vehicles

http://www.ritarpower.com/products.aspx?catid=19&pcatid=13

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390353194543?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

We fitted the in the old days before Lithium

You can also use the link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golf-Cart-Battery-Desulfator-Desulphator-12-24-36-48-Volt-Batteries-Auto-Pulse-/151539119014?hash=item23486f73a6:g:G3wAAOSwECZUp8s7

Frank

Lead must be fresh, you got stale, and or the wrong type.

babuska20010 said:
Might have to go back to single 36 volt designed for e scooters that I had before.
This could be a clue. A 36V single battery should be made of consistent quality cells and doesn't have interconnections that could be suspect. When interconnecting 3 batteries, if any one of them is 'bum' it can cause the low-voltage circuit of your controller to cut power off.

Did you check the individual voltages of the 3 batteries at full discharge?

if your sla's are 10ah and your bike pulls 10A when on the flat then you would be only looking at a usable capacity of around 5ah this would be with a good sla battery .. so if its a bad one this would be a lot less, the smaller sla's only have a C rating of around 0.5C and this should give you 100% rated capacity but in practice this is more like 0.3C to give 100% capacity . cold will effect there capacity also.

Back