Cycle Analyst Interface Explained

amberwolf

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion
The pinout is in the CA manual on the Grin Tech http://ebikes.ca site.

It is also discussed in many threads about various controllers, commonly called the CADP or CA-DP plug or connector (the search may not be able to find all versions of the abbreviation, unless you use google's site search).

THere is also pinout and information in Teklektik's UUG Unnofficial User Guide, findable in the ES wiki and in the CA v3 beta thread, or via Teklektik's profile.

usertogo said:
Sorry I have to say I am not satisfied with the Information I have found so far! It seems nobody has taken the effort yet to document that apparent standard...
I see you haven't done as suggested, and gone to look at the manual for the Cycle Analyst, or the threads discussing it, or the UUG, etc?

If you did, you'd have seen the documentation from the CREATOR of the "standard". :roll:

Until you do that, you will probably never know what that connector does. :(

And are you not confusing the CA connector with other display connectors like the Bafang, King Meter/LCD3, or Crystalite APM which probably do have serial Rx Tx data.

Standard CA connector is simple.

red - battery positive

black- battery negative

blue - negative side of shunt (use same gauge and length wire as shunt+)

white- positive side of shunt (current computed from voltage differential
  • between shunt +/- tells current, which is why shunt resistance must
    be known for proper calibration of CA)
yellow- speed sense (from a hall wire to calculate rpm/speed from motor pulses,
  • requires number of magnets on rotor to be entered in CA setup)
green - Throttle override (requires a small diode so CA can only draw down
  • throttle voltage for the CA's current and speed limiting functions)

usertogo said:
Yes I was indeed confusing the strictly 'electrical' CA interface with those that include the serial transmit&receive pins!
Has anybody done some publications on how to work with it?
With which? Does "it" mean the CA, or the several others?

There are several different ones; each "brand" of LCD / controller has it's own separate protocol, which are not compatible.

Even within a "brand" there are some that have some LCDs or other control "heads" that don't work with some controllers.

Some of them are documented here on ES if you look for threads that have "protocol" in the title or first post, which will find several of them.

Buried inside other threads is other info aobut them, possibly found under "UART" in posts (which will also find lots of irrelevant stuff). LCD would also find some, but again, lots of irrelevant stuff.

Back