What tools do I need to remove the BB from a V2100?

terminus

100 mW
I got a genesis v2100 and need a list of tools I will need to remove everything and install a BBSHD. What do you guys think?

I think I need a picture of the BB and I can tell you what you need to remove it.

As for installation, I'd be looking to the Wiki. I summarised the installation tools required there some time ago.

Pretty sure its a standard treaded cup bb on those.
This is the wrench for the job:
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-HCW-5-Lock-Spanner/dp/B000C17KRI/ref=pd_sim_468_13?ie=UTF8&dpID=21FiOgHLdCL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0HZY8SHV1ARZ14Y85RWG

You can improvise also, just remember the right side is revers thread.

ecycler said:

It looks like there are different kinds of crank arm pullers, how do I know which one is right for me? I pull off the cover and I just see a bolt.
27i4N.jpg

Thud said:
Pretty sure its a standard treaded cup bb on those.
This is the wrench for the job:
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-HCW-5-Lock-Spanner/dp/B000C17KRI/ref=pd_sim_468_13?ie=UTF8&dpID=21FiOgHLdCL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0HZY8SHV1ARZ14Y85RWG

You can improvise also, just remember the right side is revers thread.
Thank you, so once I get the lockring off all the stuff inside will just slide out?

You have to remove that bolt first. It is threaded into the BB. The puller will push against the BB to release the crank which has been pressed on very tightly.

I have used this exact one on a Genesis and it worked fine, but I also have the one that I can use a gigantic wrench with as well. It all depends on what other tools you have at hand:

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Pul...d=1454016711&sr=8-1&keywords=crank+arm+puller

Once you get those lock rings off you will likely also need one of these to unscrew the BB from inside the frame threads:
http://www.amazon.com/BIKEHAND-Bicycle-Shimano-Bracket-Removal/dp/B00811WQJS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1454017015&sr=8-5&keywords=bottom+bracket+tool

Perhaps someone who has more recently pulled a stock one apart can tell you exactly. You are going to need some bike specific tools like these if you stay in the sport for a while like many of us and plan on building more bikes in the future anyways...

Also, keep in mind that one side is left hand threaded on the BB, so make sure you aren't tightening it like crazy when your intention is to loosen! :D

I am 99% certain the walgoose v2100 has a standard sq taper 3 pc bottom bracket.
Here is a rebuild kit showing the parts in there minus the spindle
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/pyramid-bottom-bracket-cup-set-1-37-x-24-english
No need for any additional bb specifice wrenches...(other than the crank puller)

As you look at those parts you see(lefr to right) the right side bearing cup(thats the backward threaded one) a standard adjustable wrench will install/remove it, then its the angular contact bearings, the left side bearing cup...fully threaded lastly the locking ring to keep the assembly properly tensiond upon assembly.

You can up grade the standard english bb with single pc ball bearing assemblies...all depends on how hard core you consider yourself regarding the human power side of your build.

Okay thanks guys I think I am starting to get an idea of what's going on.
Thud said:
the right side bearing cup(thats the backward threaded one) a standard adjustable wrench will install/remove it

Not sure I understand this. I see nowhere in this cup where the teeth from the previously mentioned BB removal tool would grab onto, but I also see nothing that a regular wrench would grab onto either. Unless, do you mean that little raised bit of metal on the outside of the cup?

Thats why i posted, the tool he linked is for a newer style bb cup.
I am pretty sure your bb wont require the tool he linked.

The 3/4" raised section on the outside end will give you purchase with a standard adj. wrench....see it yet? Don't get hung up on grabbing the out side of the part.

1) Remove the nut on each side --- looks like a 15mm socket will suffice (maybe 14 mm though).
2) Use a crank puller (probably "old" style since it looks like a system with a tapered axle).
3) Determine whether your BB is cartridge or "loose"/caged balls, then select the appropriate tool for removal (you may need to go to your LBS or take a picture and post it.
4) Remember, the drive (right) side is reverse threaded.
5) Don't be surprised if it requires extreme force to remove the cups; the Chinese have some powerful assembly tools.

I in need of help to figure out what tool to use to remove the English unsealed bottom bracket bearings on my new v2100 bike please help

Ldougz520 said:
I in need of help to figure out what tool to use to remove the English unsealed bottom bracket bearings on my new v2100 bike please help

I'm not sure what tools you need, but a complete bottom bracket is ~$20 and that bike should accept a standard issue Shimano bottom bracket as a replacement for the ultra cheap thing that came with the bike.

Back