Hitron DC converter for lights - DIY Down Low Glow

snowranger

10 kW
I just bought this DC converter to directly feed off the 48 volt battery to power some power leds. See pics. I am not familiar with these converters. Question is what sort of connectors will work with the converter pins and how have people mounted these converters.

001jf0.jpg

002dk6.jpg

I want one of those, how much are they?

You might be able to use "bullet" type connectors, or just solder your own connectors directly.

Or just walk into an electronics shop with the unit in hand and ask them.

I see, but if I am not mounting any other electronic components to the board, why should I use it? The converter appears waterproof. I am thinking about soldering wire directy to the pins and using vhb tape to mount the converter to a flat surface.

Thanks. Just waiting for the P4 Leds to arrive.

voicecoils said:
I wonder if their is any way to use two to double the power output to ~60W?

I think they would work in parallel, they are isolated and protected for overload and short circuit.
This is a really good price for such a DC/DC converter.

nutsandvolts said:
voicecoils said:

I think they would work in parallel, they are isolated and protected for overload and short circuit.
This is a really good price for such a DC/DC converter.

Sweet! Hopefully postage to Aus will be reasonable :D

nutsandvolts said:
It will work but brace it somehow after soldering, like with glue or something.
Just to emphasise what nutsandvolts said. I've used a few similar DC converters myself, and although they're very compact, lightweight units you do have to take care not to stress the pins, as they break very easily. I solder the leads to the pins then fix the leads to the base with epoxy.

Thanks Malcolm,

When I get them I might look into soldering the pins to short wires, connecting the wires to powerpoles, and then potting the whole back up so it's just a solid black box with powerpoles rigidly encased at the back.

voicecoils said:
Just grabbed four.

Why do you need 60 watts? Just curious.

Followup question: Would the 6 volts output at 3 amps work with the SSC P7? The forward voltage for that LED is supposed to be 4 volts with 2.8 amps.

snowranger said:
voicecoils said:
Just grabbed four.

Why do you need 60 watts? Just curious.

Not decided totally at the moment. 35W HID is one thing I'm considering. 30W may not be enough, especially when the bulb strikes on.

Wait a minute. Your get 30 watts total at different voltages and currents. How are you going to drive a single HID that way?

snowranger said:
Wait a minute. Your get 30 watts total at different voltages and currents. How are you going to drive a single HID that way?

Ah, 12W from the 12V taps? A bit of an oversight on my part. Glad I grabbed a bunch

I can gang all 4 together if I have to :twisted:

Success! The P7 is running off the kaidomain driver connected to the 12 volt, 1 amp ouput. The driver is in the headset. I also have a dinotte tail-light running off the 6 volt, 3 amp output.

005ts9.jpg

008zy9.jpg

009cy0.jpg

010sy7.jpg

gee that bike looks like it could hold a few more groceries than mine :)

How long is the bike , mine is almost 7 feet.

snowranger wrote: "dinotte tail-light"
I have been searching the universe for a rear RED light that will run off 5VDC. See 4 - AA batteries in picture.
1.5V x 4 = 6V Will this light work with 5V? What type of bulbs are in it?
140L_AA4.jpg

Price almost made me fall off my chair.

The dinotte will work with 5 or 6 volts. 4 NiMh AA are a little over 5 volts. I agree. The dinotte is kind of expensive, but the crazy blinking pattern and brightness are really really noticeable. I bought this for a little over $100 before really getting into homemade diy lights.

The bike has a standard xtracycle kit. With wideloaders, you can even haul large boxes and other bulky things.

question for anyone that has these dc-dc up and running-
will they take a fully charged 72v pack? i dont know if they will like to fire on 88v or so. thanks

snowranger said:
The dinotte will work with 5 or 6 volts. 4 NiMh AA are a little over 5 volts. I agree. The dinotte is kind of expensive, but the crazy blinking pattern and brightness are really really noticeable. I bought this for a little over $100 before really getting into homemade diy lights.

The bike has a standard xtracycle kit. With wideloaders, you can even haul large boxes and other bulky things.
Thanks for the reply, Snowranger
Called http://www.dinottelighting.com ask if rear light is on, blinking or any other mode, and you disconnect battery and reconnect battery will light still be on? Phone guy asks technical guy and answer I get is - Yes. Hope they right because after experimenting with $1 Ebay light. When I disconnect and reconnect battery light returns to off mode. Reason I ask is because I plan on having switch on handlebars. Bought 140R-Li Taillight and assortment of cables and Y connectors. Will probably use these wires for front lights also. For better description and pictures of these lights go here http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/dinotte.asp

Just spent more then I did on complete Kmart bike for Electric Bicycle Project # 1 :? Free Shipping :D

Not sure if you guys are aware of this, but Justin over at ebikes.ca now has a front an rear LED module that does not require any DC-DC converter - plugs directly to your pack regardless of voltage.

http://www.ebike.ca/lights/

lights_installed.jpg

front_light.jpg

rear_light.jpg

Back