Improving bottle battery connectors.

Khumarahn

1 mW
Hi, I have a standard bottle battery from bmsbattery on my road bicycle. I have a problem with connectors - they sometimes break. I attribute this to both bad design and to strong vibrations of a road bicycle.

Here is a photo of the connectors on the battery:

The problem is that the blades inside bend and break. When they are bent, things are already bad enough: because of bad contacts, plastic starts to melt.

It there a way to improve these contacts? I would change the battery for something with a better design, but this is a long term plan. Currently my battery seems to be just fine, except these connectors.. I don't want to spend extra couple of hundreds moneys on this just yet.

Good connectors are very expensive. If money is no object, M23 hybrid connector can carry 5x30A at 850V DC. It can provide power (2x30A per wire), charging wire (1x30A), throttle, brake, cruise, +5V, and nitro signal, display wiring. All in one standardized connector.
[youtube]9W4MCLRMGMI[/youtube]

I would eliminate those contacts by going inside the case and running some 12 Gauge silicone wires out through a hole and putting a XT90 connector on it. Then put a matching XT90 on your controller voltage input.

Thank you for the answers! M23 is a very impressive conector, but a total overkill for me, I only need two wires.

It looks like xt90 is a good option. Ideally I would do some magic with the current connectors, so that they work and do not break, but I don't see how.

Is xt60 any worse than xt90? My voltage is 40V and current does not reach 10A.

xt60 it is! Many thanks for the advice!

It takes now long time to put on and remove the battery, but at least the connection is good.

bba.jpg

Back