Any differences between the different PAS units?

puregsr

100 W
Does anyone know if there's a difference between the internals of the different PAS units from BMS Battery? I have a 8 pole Model No V7-50+ (RED) and 12 pole Model No V12-50 (BLACK). They look exactly the same except for the color.

I'd like to use the 12 pole disc with the red V7-50+ due to the connectors to get the benefit of the increased poles, would that be a problem?
Goes to show my lack of understanding of what's in the PAS unit, would somebody educate me?

I'd wondered about the different too, but now from my understanding it's just a hall effect sensor. It acts as a throttle that only activates when a magnet passes across the sensor. The more magnets per circular degree (number of poles), the more times the 'throttle' is activated.

With more poles from a standing start a smaller pedal rotation is required to 'throttle' up. Whilst moving the 'throttle' pulse (on-off-on-off) will be more frequent supplying a more constant throttle reaction = smoothness.

As for the connectors, it's far easier to source 'blank' connectors for affixing to wires than trying to source an electrical component with the exact connector :). Crimps, pliers or a cheap soldering iron are all tools an ebiker will likely use frequently :).

So, they are like the Bafang system: more of a cruise control that is pedal activated. One that runs the motor at a set power and the cyclist assists/aids the motor when it slows enough for the pedals to be effective, then stops pedaling or backs off pressure as the motor speeds ups until it reaches some set maximum RPM?

I have a couple of these and they are very different from the OEM torque sensing systems that involve strain gages on the BB or other systems to measure input force. I have ridden both and personally, I like the cruise control sort, although the fact that all the true torque sensing bikes I have been on have been wimpy 350w Euorpean machines. Maybe if I was 30 or more years younger I would feel differently!

WoodlandHills, your description of PAS is spot on, although I'm not familiar with Bafang (though with ref to this topic it seems to be the same case). Although the cruise would only be 'active' whilst pedaling. If the controller was set at 500W the PAS would utilise the full 500W as soon as you start rotating the magnet against the sensor, human power would take the initial 'strain' whilst the motor attempts to reach maximum output.

However, it is uncertain if the on-off pulse given from the magnets are measured or sensed via frequency to give a more linear increase in power?

I'd imagine it'd be very hard to control anything in the 750W+ range with torque sensing, just have mental image of setting off, putting full weight on the pedals and being launched off @ 6kw :lol:.

I'm using the 8 pole sensor with 12 magnet wheel, no problem. The 12 pole pickup won't work with the 8 magnet wheel though. It gives sporadic bursts at just the right separation distance, but it's just too small a gap between magnets.

It's an old thread, but I'm just figuring this out and this info needs to go somewhere :)

I repaired a broken magnet disc on a bike recently. It was a large diameter one but I couldn't see how many magnets it had because it was too broken. I replaced it with a 12 magnet one, which didn't work in any direction or orientation, though I could make it work by hand off the bike by stroking the sensor with the magnet disc. After some thought, I pressed out every other magnet to convert it to a 6 magnet one. It then worked perfectly. My only conclusion was that the magnets were too close together for the sensitivity of the sensor, so it didn't get a chance to switch off between pulses.

Back