Wire extensions

striider

100 W
I am in the process of moving my 48v 1000w kit over to a Rans V2 longbike. Recumbents intrigue me for the efficiency and the price was right.

My wires are WAY too short for this frame, and I need to add between 2 and 4 feet to the brake cutoff switches, throttle, LCD, etc. Not sure the gauge of wire, but it looks like 22 or 24?

Looks like I need:
(2) 2 wire 24 gauge stranded
(1) 3 wire 24 gauge stranded
(1) 5 wire 24 gauge stranded

Anyone have a good source for these?

You guys are genius! You got me thinking about computer cabling in general, so I rescued an old DVI-D cable from the recycle bin at work, and it has 13 stranded conductors and a few of them are shielded pairs that can be split. They are very thin gauge, but I am guessing they will work fine for these purposes. I will report back with my results in case anyone is interested.

0004246_dvi-d-single-link-cable-1-meter-328-ft_400.jpeg

You can also use LAN cables, they have 8 wires and they are easy to find in 24, 26, 28 gauge with an overall small diameter. For my last ebike I've used 26 gauge LAN cables (4.6mm diameter) from the controller to the LCD. You can also use the sheath of a 28 or 30 gauge LAN cable (usually ~3.5mm diameter) and put up to 5-6 wires with a 24 or 26 gauge inside.

DVI-D cable worked fine. Needed my soldering station magnification to solder wires that tiny, but it seemed to work out and everything works. I ended up not having to add any length to my LCD, so I only used 7 wires (throttle, and 2 brake sensors).

dahu33 - yeah I thought about LAN cable, but most of it I have found around is single conductor, not stranded. Thanks for the suggestion!

striider said:
DVI-D cable worked fine. Needed my soldering station magnification to solder wires that tiny, but it seemed to work out and everything works. I ended up not having to add any length to my LCD, so I only used 7 wires (throttle, and 2 brake sensors).

dahu33 - yeah I thought about LAN cable, but most of it I have found around is single conductor, not stranded. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've used some Cat 5e cable for my bikes. Pretty much any patch lead you find will use stranded cable. Most of the boxes of cable are for permanent installation so they're solid.

Back