Next up was swapping out the front tire, as the new CST City (same tire I use on my SB CRuiser and CrazyBIke2 front wheels) Raine ordered arrived, along with some other bits like LED strips in white and red for downlighting and tail/brake lighting, and some master links, and a new chaintool to replace the one that siezed up last week.
Tire shouldve been easy, just pull the old one off, and put the new one on with the old tube and tire liner made from an old tube.
However, teh tire was a lot harder to get off than expected, and in the process I slipped with the levers, and mustve pinched the tube on the inner circumference opposite the valve stem. I tried to patch the holes (6 little snakebite types), but the ParkTool patch kit patches wouldnt stay stuck to it. After the first ones came off as I inflated the tube, after the normal cleaning/sanding of surface, I tried degreaser, which made them stick for a bit longer before they began to leak and then come off, but not by much. A third try with more pre-sanding didnt change a thing, so I gave up at that point and used a tube out of another wheel I had built up as a spare for the big trailer.
Traction (and thus braking) on the front is much better with the softer stickier CST City vs the old harder-compound Kenda Kross, and its also a bigger tire so it absorbs bumps a bit better.
Before, itd skid the wheel easily, now its hard to skid the wheel because traction is better.
Then I installed the new KoolStop ebike compound pads (in place of the worn KS salmon) and it brakes a bit worse--the cause appears to be the fork itself.
The KS salmon pads are a different kind/shape, and are already worn flat / broken in from a previous bike (probably CB2 or SBC, dont recall). They also have full rounded washers on both sides for adjustment, while the new KS pads only have those on the wheel side of the brake arms--the other side is flat.
So tehy dont adjust as much as the other KS pads, and so when tightened down, the brake arm angles and pivot make much more of a difference than with the others.
Since both pads are off in the opposite ends from each other, it is likely that the bosses on the fork are mounted just ever so slightly not straight, in the same direction, pointing just a hair off to the left at their front ends.
I have a different fork I may swap out to see if this fixes it, but first I may try different washers off old pads to see if they help. Otherwise, the misalighnment of pads to rim means either the brake lever has to be pulled enough to hit the grip before it fully brakes (and still wont lockup), or it has to be adjusted so it always seriously rubs the rim to start with to be able to lockup the brakes without the handle hitting the grip.