What's the advantage of higher-winding motors? Any?

Is there any advantage to choosing a higher-winding motor over another, like the 5304 over the 5303? Some say the former is better up hills, others say the opposite. Does it have any advantage over the 5303? What about acceleration?

It depends where you're going to operate the motor most of the time, and how much voltage you have available. Current also comes into play, as your power peak drops to a lower RPM when you push higher currents.

Generally speaking, the faster you can spin the motor, the better overall power and efficiency you can get out of it. The 5304 in a 20" wheel seems like an ideal combination if you can wire it up to enough voltage to get your desired top speed.

530420inchwheel132vlk8.png

Lowell said:
Current also comes into play, as your power peak drops to a lower RPM when you push higher currents.
So... higher-winding motors are better with high current than low-winding motors?

Generally speaking, the faster you can spin the motor, the better overall power and efficiency you can get out of it.
So low-winding motors are better...?

The 5304 in a 20" wheel seems like an ideal combination if you can wire it up to enough voltage to get your desired top speed.
But how is that better than a 5303 in a 20" wheel, all other things being equal?

It's easiest to look at the RPM / Volt

Depending on the bike of your choice, the wheel size, your budget for batteries... etc.. you have plenty of choices.

From 404 to 4013 and 5302 to 5305

The higher count wind motors are slower. ie: 404=fast 4013=slow

-----------------

I think alot of people overcomplicate things. Just like you can have a car with 4 cylinders or 8 cylinders.. if both are 2 L engines they have the same potential of power but will operate differently .

When you assemble a combination of motor/battery/controller/bike there are combinations that work better than others.

If you pick a combination that spins at 100 km/h, but don't have enough battery on board to reach anywhere close to that.. the slightest touch of the throttle will use the maximum amps allowed by the controller.

On the other end of the spectrum.. slap a 4013 into a 16" wheel at 36v you might have a top speed of 10 km/h, and will likely never reach a 20 amp draw even going up hill with the brakes on ! lol..

I'm having a hard time finding an easy way to explain all this.. but long story short.. pick a motor that matches your realistic cruising speed in your wheel size and it will work well.. Pick incorrectly and you will burn up batteries and controllers and end up with reduced range.

Some combos have better efficiency curves than others, so you have to look at the area under the graph as well.

I think that post helped me alot, Ypedal. So basically one should use the highest-winding motor that is capable of reaching their desired speed using the batteries they have. So if someone only needs to go 30 mph at 48V, they'd use less energy with a 5304 than with a 5303 at that speed. Correct? Or does it depend on slope; a 5304 is more efficient on a slope than a 5303...?

The 5304 will only be putting down about 500W at 30mph in a 26" wheel. My 503/26" combo topped out at just over 30mph on 48V 18Ah NiMH, and the 5303 makes peak power at 30mph on 48V, around 950W at 35 amps.

A 5304 at 60V would be ideal for going 30mph, and you can throttle it down to 950W, 30mph and 86% efficiency.

Back