New rim for a hub motor

multifrag

100 W
Would love to get any recommendation on 26' bicycle rims for hub motors. Gonna be using Sapim Strong spokes with a 9c motor

Alex have been good for me. But I'm a street rider. Alex DM24. But there are other double walled from Weinmann that are good as well.

Unfortunately, 26" Alex DM24 rims appear to be out of stock from every vendor I've searched the past few weeks. Plenty of 24" and some 20" but no luck finding DM24 in 26" size. If somebody does, please post where?

I finally went with a Sun Rhyno Lite which looks similar but not quite as wide as the DM24.

This on top of Panaracer discontinuing the Uf Da! which worked great on some bikes. Ugh!

I have a pair of these (24"version) and they are OK. Price does not hurt too.
Also this doesn't look too bad, but i have no personal experience.
Both are for disc brakes only.

I like these, pretty much any color you want, stickers come right off...if you don't like em.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunringle-26-MTX33-Black-36H-Rim-/371683418683?hash=item568a0ee23b:g:uzAAAOSwIgNXiPq6

These guys usually have a good selection of goodies.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=855

Just look around, lots of 36H 26" rims to be had.

Depends on what size tire you plan to use/ For 1.95-3.0" I'd go with either a 32-35mm inside width, like Weinmann DH39 or DHL42, Alex DX32.

wesnewell said:
Depends on what size tire you plan to use/ For 1.95-3.0" I'd go with either a 32-35mm inside width, like Weinmann DH39 or DHL42, Alex DX32.

My experience has taught me that rim brakes might not fit using that wide of rim. 32-35mm inside is gonna be around 40'something mm. Sometimes they do, sometime they don't.

The now unobtainable 26" DM24 was 32mm outside width.

As long as the tire on the bike is at least a 1.75" (44.45mm) a 35/42mm rim will fit, and a 32/39mm rim will fit anything with at least a 1.5" tire on it. That should encompass all MTB and cruisers. The only exceptions should be some road bikes. And road bikes don't make good ebikes anyway imo. I had more trouble with v brakes on narrower rims with bigger tires. Sometimes the brakes hit the tire when you squeeze them and it requires spacers to move the pads closer to the rims. The DM24 is only 24mm inside. My original motor kit rim was 25mm, and that was too narrow. I would never use a DM24, or anything less than 32mm inside for any tire from 1.95" and up.

multifrag said:
Would Mavic XM319 Disk rim work alright. It should be good for the price. From the calculator it shows that I will need 162mm Sapim Strong spokes

While Mavic makes good rims, that rim is a skinny little thing. The bead width is just 19mm. Collective experience has shown that wider rims do better on bikes for everything except aerodynamics. So unless you plan to run a very skinny tire, pass that one up.

I wouldn't recommend a rim unless I knew what kind of riding you planned to do, and what size tire you were going to use. However, the Alex and Sun Ringle rims would probably have been on my list.

Drunkskunk said:
multifrag said:
Would Mavic XM319 Disk rim work alright. It should be good for the price. From the calculator it shows that I will need 162mm Sapim Strong spokes

While Mavic makes good rims, that rim is a skinny little thing. The bead width is just 19mm. Collective experience has shown that wider rims do better on bikes for everything except aerodynamics. So unless you plan to run a very skinny tire, pass that one up.

I wouldn't recommend a rim unless I knew what kind of riding you planned to do, and what size tire you were going to use. However, the Alex and Sun Ringle rims would probably have been on my list.

That's the thing. I'm running 26' 1.5 tires. I tried getting the alex rims, buit nobody is selling them in UK

multifrag said:
Would love to get any recommendation on 26' bicycle rims for hub motors. Gonna be using Sapim Strong spokes with a 9c motor
Just remember to check your buying a rim with 36holes or you're going to be putting yourself into quite a hub lacing challenge :)

Drunkskunk said:
...Collective experience has shown that wider rims do better on bikes for everything except aerodynamics. ...
and/or weight

multifrag said:
I'm running 26' 1.5 tires. I tried getting the alex rims, buit nobody is selling them in UK

Alex DM18, Alex Adventurer, Velocity Chukker, Velocity Cliffhanger, Sun Rhyno Lite, Sun Rhyno Lite XL, Weinmann DM30. Those are all suitable for 1.5" tires and all rim brake compatible. If you're using discs, your options get much wider these days.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Alex-DM24-Rim $ 23.00 I run this with muxus 3.000 7,000 watts. Works on the street and light trails. Breaks spokes on the rattlesnake trail.

999zip999 said:
http://www.jensonusa.com/Alex-DM24-Rim $ 23.00 I run this with muxus 3.000 7,000 watts. Works on the street and light trails. Breaks spokes on the rattlesnake trail.

No 26" only 24"

I'll repeat, if anybody finds Alex DM24 rims in 26" variety, please post a vendor link as I would love to buy a couple more. Thanks...

Ykick said:
999zip999 said:

No 26" only 24"

I'll repeat, if anybody finds Alex DM24 rims in 26" variety, please post a vendor link as I would love to buy a couple more. Thanks...
I've been trying to find these in the UK for a while now and have all but given up!

Back