S06S Controller bypass of LCD for Pedal Assist to work

abecrizer

100 mW
Hello,

I accidentally figured something out. Perhaps it is obvious to others and everyone else on here knows this already,
but I want to share in case there is another noob out there this it may help.

I have a Cute q75 with a S06S and like using it on pedal assist (PAS). I had the LCD screen up on my handle bars, but
would prefer it not be there. I don't use anything on there anyway, and I have enough clutter on the bike.

I assumed I needed it plugged in to get the system to work. The wiring diagram for the controller says
"P.S. On condition there is no LCD controller will work by shorting 1,2 & 3,5" (see attached picture)
I assumed this would only allow the throttle to work but not the PAS.

One day the LCD stopped working. I don't know why. I took the whole thing apart and shorted as above, and the PAS worked anyway.
This is significant because on the Q75 if I put the assist level to 5 on hills the motor gets too many Watts, a terrible grinding noise comes out
and the whole thing grinds to a halt. So I used it on #4 and all is well. Even after jumping the pins and unplugging the LCD,
Some one the controller has that 4 in his memory even without the LCD plugged in at all because it the motor does not have that grinding problem.

Interestingly, I plugged the LCD back in later and it worked again, even with the jumpers in place, so I don't know why that happened
but I am glad it did so I get one thing of the bars.

I hope what is above makes a little sense.

You should have reset P1 to get rid of that grinding noise.

You need the LCD to set the controller before bypassing it otherwise it can be stuck on level zero.

d8veh said:
You should have reset P1 to get rid of that grinding noise.

How do I found out what P1 should be?

d8veh said:
You need the LCD to set the controller before bypassing it otherwise it can be stuck on level zero.

Agreed, you definately need the LCD plugged in to set everything up.

ok I saw in https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81852&p=1206240&hilit=p1+setting+q75#p1206240

you say P1 of 160.

Is this still what you use?

I used P1 =160 and it solved that problem completely. Somebody else tried 160 and said it didn't work. I60 was the first random number I tried after the proper calculated numbers. Maybe another number works as well.

So are we saying that at some point you have to have and LCD to set things up for just the pas and not necessarily a throttle ? If I never purchase a LCD display and just link a throttle to the So6 will it work ? Thanks.

I think it will work,
BUT I would recommend getting the LCD so you can change settings to limit the watts to the motor and
set the correct P value (I guess 160 is it according to D8veh).

I believe that NOT doing those 2 things contributed to me stripping the gears in the same motor.

Back