Noob Lacing Black Q100 Help!

Bought a purdy brand new black q100 from Micah, mounted on 20" rim.

I will have to lace it to 26" for MTB.

Need to know what spokes, rim, tools and where to buy.

Thank you for your help!

First question, are you sure that the motor's RPM is appropriate for a 26" wheel? If it's meant for a 20" wheel, you might just melt that poor thing by forcing it to turn a 26"

As for rims, it really depends on what kind of riding you plan to do, what kind of brakes you plan to use, what performance variables you prefer, and what your budget is. It needs to be a 36 hole rim, but you have many thousands of choices, with none of them being a "best" for everything.

The spokes also depend on how you ride. If you're not sure, or you know you plan to be jumping the bike off ski ramps in the alps, then a single butted 13/14g spoke is the best default. Or alternativly, a straight gauge 14g spoke. If you're going to be less hard on the bike, you can use thinner spokes. that will improve the ride and save some weight. 15, 16, and even 17 gauge (higher number means thinner) can be used on an ebike. There are a few good brands to chose from, but stick to Sapim spokes to make this easier. The length depends on the rim's ERD.

Tools:
Spoke wrench. Get a Parktool brand wrench. it makes life much easier.
32oz/1L Beer. Being relaxed is key to a good wheel build. Also, the bottle make a perfect stand for lacing the spokes. :mrgreen:
Stick the axle of the motor into the top of the tall bottle, and you can easily lace the spokes through the holes.

Good points. Motor is a fast wind 328, and I did specifically ask about using it on a 26" wheel. I am a lightweight, very athletic (seat optional) rider. Just need a little assist for speed, and probably will not throttle unless already rolling at a pretty
decent clip. Mostly flats, no hills.

Would like to get a rim that is similiar width to what I am using now and not a really skinny one. Have no idea what sizes available or where to look.

Concerning spokes; I ride hardtail, but very efficiently concerning bumps in the road. And weighing barely over 100lbs and with battery at 6.5lb (Micah's 36v 20ah Maker Battery), setup will be fairly light. Bike is not heavy either, about average weight. Think maybe 16 or 17 guage spokes?

Need a good economical source(s) for spokes and rim.

Are nipples universal? Already have them on the 20".

Will get that tool!

Also, the beer idea is great jn more ways than one lol.

Thanks tons!

Sheldon Brown will have all the info you need to know about llaceing the rim . I do the inside spokes first and used tape at each 4 spoke holes. Don't make a cross over the value stem. Get the bump out first then the side by side. Front or rear ?

I just laced a Q100 to a 26" Weinmann Explorer rim and used 2.0 m/m(14 ga.?) X 242 spokes. They were a little short and I had to assemable the wheel with long nipples and then replace w/ shorts to tighten . You could do this or perhaps order 244 m/m spokes. That's a 2 cross pattern, alternating inner-outer-inner-outer.

999zip999 said:
You can use a used front fork ina vise ect and Zip ties for oval then side tureing.
P s get the bounce out first. ...

Ok thank you.
What does "Get the bounce out" mean?

motomech said:
I just laced a Q100 to a 26" Weinmann Explorer rim and used 2.0 m/m(14 ga.?) X 242 spokes. They were a little short and I had to assemable the wheel with long nipples and then replace w/ shorts to tighten . You could do this or perhaps order 244 m/m spokes. That's a 2 cross pattern, alternating inner-outer-inner-outer.

Cool! Will go check those out.

May I ask, if motor is black-is it a Q100H?

Thanks!

greyphantom said:
motomech said:

Cool! Will go check those out.

May I ask, if motor is black-is it a Q100H?

Thanks!

No, it is a silver Q100C, but all Q100 hubs are the same size;

100_0106.JPG

If it means anything, I have a silver and blk Q100 H "260" on the frt. of my 2WD;

100_0075.JPG

I just noticed, you say you have a "high-speed" 328, but you asked me about a "H". There are no 328 H's.
What's up w/ that?

motomech said:
I just noticed, you say you have a "high-speed" 328, but you asked me about a "H". There are no 328 H's.
What's up w/ that?

The motor came from BMS battery. So when I looked on their site, I saw the black motor was the Q100H.

It says 16" on the green and white QC sticker on the motor.

There should be a silver sticker w/ motor speed, power, etc.
If it's not there and it says "16" on the grn. & wht. sticker, it's probably a standard 328 hi-speed.

greyphantom said:
Wow what sweet ride, that thing must be hella fast.
Thanks for putting those pics up!

It's quick off the line but the top speed is only about 26 mph.
It's built for long range(40 miles) and off-road.
I have extra wheel/motor ASM's, frt and rear w/ knobby tires;

At one tme, I had 2 328 Q100's on it and it would do about 28 mph, but it was a little slow getting there.

Anyhow, tell what other stickers your motor has so we can determin what it is and plan the right system(Battery & controller)that would be best for it.

Only other sticker is green "36".
Motor says "CHZ" (Conhismotor) and "6001RS" which is bearings I believe.

It came as a kit with a small silver controller/ sticker says "XCW004 24V/36V".

Also bought a "Maker Battery" 36V 20ah/30amp bms from Micah as well.

motomech said:
greyphantom said:
Wow what sweet ride, that thing must be hella fast.
Thanks for putting those pics up!

It's quick off the line but the top speed is only about 26 mph.
It's built for long range(40 miles) and off-road.
I have extra wheel/motor ASM's, frt and rear w/ knobby tires;

At one tme, I had 2 328 Q100's on it and it would do about 28 mph, but it was a little slow getting there.

Anyhow, tell what other stickers your motor has so we can determin what it is and plan the right system(Battery & controller)that would be best for it.

Nice ride. 26mph would be plenty fast for me.

Noticed the Holly tires, how is rolling resistance with those knobbies? Really do not want to give up my knobbies!

greyphantom said:
Only other sticker is green "36".
Motor says "CHZ" (Conhismotor) and "6001RS" which is bearings I believe.

It came as a kit with a small silver controller/ sticker says "XCW004 24V/36V".

Also bought a "Maker Battery" 36V 20ah/30amp bms from Micah as well.

The "36" sticker is the number of spokes.

It's not a Q100, but a Conhismotor. Their web site lists it as a 290 rpm motor, but doesn't say at what Voltage :roll:
If it's at 36 Volts, it's a medium/high speed motor.
Let us know how it works out.

Noticed the Holly tires, how is rolling resistance with those knobbies? Really do not want to give up my knobbies!
I really don't pedal that bike much and it weighs a ton, so I really can't comment on their rolling resistance.
They are a little noisey, but that doesn't bother me.
But what I don''t care much for is they are a little bit squirmy as they move around on the blocks. Still, better than knobbies for the street.

Was supposed to be a Q100, but oh well. For $100 still did fine on the deal, and no shipping from China expense as well.

Will post my build when I get it together.

Thanks a bunch!

Back