Putting a sevcon GEN4 size2 dcf onto a size4

So today i had a bit of success albeit shortlived. My project is converting an old emax scooter (proud eagle controller) to use a size 4 sevcon. The new ones use a sevcon size2 and Jonescg an Aussie endless spherite kindly sent me the DCF from a newer size 2 controller from his new version emax scooter.

I managed to borrow some software (ahem) from a kind chap i found online who had done this stuff on his chopper at mit. He has a great web page too that help you get the things talking to each other.

And a friend here also lent me use of his ixxat dongle to flash the controller. He too will be going down the same route as soon as i figure out how its done.

Anyway, after getting some 120 ohm resistors for the canbus termination and some fuses for the keyswitch i finally got my old xp box talking to the sevcon size4. Even though its the galvanic protected dongle for isolation i run the sevcon off a stepped up battery (36v b&q macallister).

So this was success stage one getting the canbus talking.

Then i pulled the old dcf file from the controller so that i can put it back if it doesnt work.
then i reflashed the controller with jonescg new dcf file.

that went ok except for a few "cant write 0 to ****, *" lines to the log.
I then pulled the same DCF off the controller to double check and they are not the same.
The new one is a few kb smaller.

I used beyond compare to compare the files and there are some obvious differences and then there are just bits missed out.

i will upload the DCF files as txt (just rename them and look at them in notepad)
View attachment emax orig.txt
View attachment emax after flashing size4.txt

My question to any sevcon experts out there was what did i lose and was it important? :?: :?: :?: :shock:

There is a chance that you cant use a sevcon 2 dcf file on a sevcon 4 and there is a chance that the motor on the new emax is too disimilar to the old emax motors for this all to work however i feel that now i can at least tweak the settings in a dcf file that is 90% of the way there i might just succeed.

What do you want to do? Some Govecs use Sevcon Gen4.... Just download Govecs 3.4 dcf and tune it for your emax!

Govecs 3.4 has a 72V40Ah pack.

Some of the olders had a 96v40Ah acid battery.

Well that's interesting. Also what motor was on the Govecs? cause I'm betting it wasn't a hub motor like the emax. And was is AB encoder or UVW halls?

Whatever I do I need a base dcf which is similar which I already have from Jonescg. I have a hunch it could be something to do with preop and op mode. where by some parts aren't writable in unless in preop mode.

You'll find different motors on different Govecs:
3.4 Parker 6Kw Sevcon Gen4 72v
1.4 and 2.4 3.3Kw Letrika 72v Sevcon Gen2
1.2 Parker 1.3KW Gen4 96v

Moreover, I believe Emax turned to Sevcon!

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=57012

Just use the right dcf and tune it with the DVT software!

Ok cuttysark76, that is exactly what I'm trying to do but the new emax scooters have size 2 gen 4 sevcons. That link you referenced has a post from Jonescg who gave me his dcf firmware via email. I tried to upload that to a size 4 but not all would upload. I hope this makes sense. The govecs probably have ab encoders and not halls which is another issue

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Sevcon Gen4 Size 2, 4 & 6 are the same platform so you should be able to drop a dcf from one of these onto any of them.

Sometimes when installing a DCF onto a controller, some errors are reported such as "unable to write xx to 0xXXXX". This can be a problem depending on what the object id is that it is trying to write to. Can you send me a list of the id's that fail to be written to? I am looking for the 0xXXX numbers and I can let you know whether these will cause you any problems.

Ok will have a look tonight again at this, its been a while and I have put my new 3d printer in the way. Plus I will have a stack of chores from the wife too. (newish baby).

Thanks in advance for the offer of help.

Back