Ebike.CA simulator --- help reading the chart

morph999

100 kW
Does anyone understand these charts? I understand the basics but I have one question.
on this chart, notice the red line is the power line...why does it slant down to around 47 mph...does that mean if I weighed like 50lbs...or the bike had no rider at all, it would go really fast?
dchubwo7.jpg

ok, here I can see that the torque in this one is much greater starting out than in the Clyte DC hub above. But see the lines converge again at roughly the same spot as the DC hub. Does that mean that theoretically both hubs have the same potential top speed if there were no weight on the bikes? What factor does power play? Does it just mean that DC hub motor would take longer to reach the speed than the 5303 but both could reach same speed? Thanks.

5303yj5.jpg

morph999 said:
I'm 200 lbs so I need about 1000w just to go 31 mph.

At "high" speeds like that aerodynamics is really the major factor affecting top speed so if you put a motor on a road bike with skinny tires and ride in the drops then it would only take an estimated 665W to go the same speed.

-R

Ebikes.CA,

if you read this, your charts are a bit misleading. I think maybe a bar chart or video comparison of two motors going head to head would be a better way for people to understand which hub motor to get. I'm one of those people who read the websites but don't always believe what I read but I'll read a chart and believe it more. If you wrote down that Nine continents was just as powerful as the crystalyte 5303, I wouldn't necessarily believe you because you are trying to sell me something.

morph999, the charts are a bit confusing. where thelines hit the zero line is the absolute top speed of the motor, meaning if you had the back wheel off the ground, and gave it full power, it should go thast fast.

The second motor does have the same top speed as the first one, if tested like that, But in the real world, you need to look at the blue line all the way down.
It takes a certian amount of torque to maintain a given speed, depending on your aerodynamics. for me, thats 15 footpounds to go 25mph. as long as the blue line is higher than 15, at the 35mph mark, I can go that fast. at 30mph, it takes more like 25 footpounds. if the blue line is lower than that, the motor can't go that fast for me.

In Justin's case (the owner of Ebike.ca) these numbers on the charts come from his testing.

Normaly, you could ignore that because he's selling something, but in his case, the charts are pretty accurate. Ask people on the forum if they get similar results from there motors, and I'll bet you a beer the majority of the answers will be yes.

Back