21 inch front wheel ever tried?

Ososjohnny

100 mW
I am messing around with the geometry of my bike and am interested in running a 21" front rim.

A Kenda k270 tire with dimensions of 2.75"x21" is only 26.3 inches diameter and the same size Shinko 241 is 27.2 inches!

I currently have a 19" in front and a 2.75-19 is only 25", I like the idea of getting back to DH bike dimensions.

What are your thoughts/advice?

Anyone try this?

Thanks,
John

amberwolf said:
Have you looked at the ones in the various motorcycle/moped wheels threads? I am pretty sure there's a few in there.
I have looked in atleast two threads... there are hundreds if not thousands of posts in each thread. I have tried using the search function and can't find a single thing about 21 inch rims/wheels.

Do you have any suggestions to help guide me to the stuff you are talking about? Or if there is a better place to ask this question?

Thanks for your help,
John

Unfortunatley I don't have a specific link; I just recall various discussions about such tires.

Hopefuly someone else will pop in here to help you better than I can, but if nobody replies usefully to your thread here, maybe you could ask your question there where people are already talking about moto/moped wheels?

(FWIW, sometimes you just have to read (or at least skim) everything to find stuff--research is a PITA but sometimes it's the only way to find out what others already did. :( I have to do that a lot and it wastes a lot of time, but a lot of the time people don't answer questions or not the way I'd like them to. :( )

EDIT: Using the search with the "use google..." checkbox, and "21 motorcycle rim" as the search terms, I got a few hits that might have info (but I didn't read any of the links, just can see some stuff in the google snippet that imply there's something there):
https://www.google.com/search?sitesearch=endless-sphere.com&q=21%20motorcycle%20rim

Don't know if this will help, but AFAICR (look at MTBR) the head angle decreases about one degree for every centimeter increase in height and, of course, you need to make sure the suspension fork has enough travel without striking the tire. Otherwise, I've messed around with geometry many times, sometimes successfully, mostly not.

Thanks for the advice folks, I am waiting for a new coil for my new 240mm rear shock, I want to know what options I have available for when I make this change. I am looking at crowns for my boxxer fork and other options to mess with the geometry because the rear end currently has a 220mm shock and the difference will substantially change the geometry. I think I got my answers, I will keep you all updated... maybe I will get lucky and find a super monster T!

Thanks all!
John

Back