Shark Pack mount, is it weak?

jslabonte

10 W
Hi there,

So I received my shark pack, and I'm a little disappointed by the look of it.
The base is made of plastic, and seem pretty weak. Quite a contrast to my "dolphin" pack made of sturdy aluminum.

I'm looking for real world experience, should I drill holes in my frame and add rivets nuts as suggested elsewhere? I'd rather not do that on a new frame :x Or are some of your running them for quite a while without any problems ?

Thanks!

jslabonte said:
Hi there,

So I received my shark pack, and I'm a little disappointed by the look of it.
The base is made of plastic, and seem pretty weak. Quite a contrast to my "dolphin" pack made of sturdy aluminum.

I'm looking for real world experience, should I drill holes in my frame and add rivets nuts as suggested elsewhere? I'd rather not do that on a new frame :x Or are some of your running them for quite a while without any problems ?

Thanks!

I would definitely recommend adding Riv-nuts to use ALL mounting holes on the bracket.

I have not logged many miles on my bike with Shark battery, but I share your concerns about it's durability.

I bought bare cases and agree the Shark is not as durable as the Dolphin. I'll soon be offering the Shark for sale for my cost. I guess it's the style and in some cases the fit issue that drives the interest in the shark. Teslanv offered good advice. BTW the Shark is made by Hailong.

That said there's a lot of them out there on recreational riders bikes that are holding up just fine. I like the Dolphin for the on/off switch and the 5V USB port. Bruno rerouted they had some problems resulting from the USB port and stopped using the Dolphin. I have 4 and love them! I dropped a shark it had a major crack, I dropped a dolphin and it has a tiny chip, but thats hardly a good test.

Here's a good article.

https://www.empoweredcycles.com/blogs/news/82418054-48-and-52-volt-battery-pack-fyi

when we mount those we always take the pack apart and drill into the aluminum and make sure at least one of the bottle battery bolts is going through the aluminum base of the Shark mount.

On any bike we can we have both mounting holes in the aluminum because this really makes for a sturdy mount.

Here is a video showing how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKmrLkXVwHA

This really helps if you intend to do rugged off road riding nothing will ever come loose.

Also if you are doing really crazy off road riding like jumping and such we recommend to wrap velcro straps around your downtube and the pack.... both with the shark and the dolphin.

Hailong might have made the case but Luna named it the Shark and made it popular. :)

It is an awesome pack if you just modify it a bit to make up for that flimsy mount.

Something to keep in mind about these packs is that they aren't secure on teh bike, even when locked. You can unscrew the case (probably a lot less than a minute with a power screwdriver) and slip the halves off the bike really easy.

(I had to do this to service a bike left with me for testing, and to fix the disconnected battery meter inside the pack, as the keys weren't left with it. It took me a lot more time than it would take a thief, though, as I was being careful, using a manual screwdriver, and my hands don't work so well anymore).

tomjasz said:
Here's a good article. ...
https://www.empoweredcycles.com/blogs/news/82418054-48-and-52-volt-battery-pack-fyi
Wish I had seen that before selecting the 52 volt over the 48 volt shark :(
As a matter of information the water bottle mounts are 2-1/2 inches on center. Usefull to know if you are putting in four of them.

LewTwo said:
tomjasz said:
Here's a good article. ...
Wish I had seen that before selecting the 52 volt over the 48 volt shark :(
As a matter of information the water bottle mounts are 2-1/2 inches on center. Usefull to know if you are putting in four of them.

Really good info indeed.
To be frank, If I could choose again I would NOT go with this type of pack. I don't doubt the quality of the cells, but the lack of a power off switch and the flimsiness of it kind of ruin the product. Not all of us like to fiddle all day.

Back