Specific heat absorption capacity of disc brakes

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
eCue   10 kW

10 kW

Re: Specific heat absorption capacity of disc brakes

Post by eCue » Feb 03 2018 3:45am

The TRP Spire disc is working well in every respect. Solid feeling smooth without vibration quiet make that dead quiet and with good modulation.
Currently waiting for a bottom bracket cable guide to get the rear roller brake operating. Ive been using front disk exclusively these last few days. At first tried the brake lever in roller brake mode for a day.
It was spongy and required too much force to stop. Impossible to lock up in error and had a very long braking distance. Rather dangerous
V-brake mode felt so much better having both a sharp pull when needed and nice modulation. I have not had a error lock up and dont think I will. The Organic pads are silent and smoother then smooth , I can see why they are suggested up front.
Solar charge station on wheels join the Revolution

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Feb 03 2018 2:31pm

eCue wrote:
Feb 03 2018 3:45am
At first tried the brake lever in roller brake mode for a day.
It was spongy and required too much force to stop. Impossible to lock up in error and had a very long braking distance. Rather dangerous
V-brake mode felt so much better having both a sharp pull when needed and nice modulation.
My favorite levers to use with drums and roller brakes have been adjustable gain linear pull levers, like Avid Speed Dial or Dia-Compe PC-7 EXA. However, I feel that long blades are an advantage in this application, and linear pull levers generally have short blades.

So-called "compressionless" brake cable housing is really good at improving lever feel and brake response with drum or roller brakes. I didn't believe it until I tried it.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Feb 04 2018 2:44am

Chalo wrote:
Feb 03 2018 2:31pm
So-called "compressionless" brake cable housing is really good at improving lever feel and brake response with drum or roller brakes.
Is that the kind with the full-housing-length "wires" paralleled around the circumference of the housing? (rather than the spiral-wrapped type)

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Feb 04 2018 10:04am

amberwolf wrote:
Feb 04 2018 2:44am
Chalo wrote:
Feb 03 2018 2:31pm
So-called "compressionless" brake cable housing is really good at improving lever feel and brake response with drum or roller brakes.
Is that the kind with the full-housing-length "wires" paralleled around the circumference of the housing? (rather than the spiral-wrapped type)
Yes, but it differs from index shift housing in that the parallel wires are contained in a snug Kevlar jacket to keep the housing from bursting under high compressive load. Here's the kind I use.

I had encountered long lay cable housing before that promised compatibility with both brakes and shifters; it was marketed by Odyssey. But that stuff definitely wasn't stiffer in compression than good quality Bowden cable housing.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

Raisedeyebrows   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Raisedeyebrows » Feb 05 2018 12:42am

I have the Jagwire housing on my cargo bike with BB7's, the stuff is worth the money, really stiffened up the braking response.
Yuba Mundo w/BBSHD
Specialized Hard Rock w/9c clone, statoraid, hubsink
Trek Fuel 90 w/BBSHD
Above all run on 14s4p 52v li-ion
Ecobike folder 36v
Currie Flyer scooter 24v on 24ah of SLA

Every trip made with electric bike is one less car trip, saves money, no toxic fumes, less noise, less impact on roads.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Feb 07 2018 8:03pm

Prototyped a new fork today for a super- heavyweight pedicab. We opted for dual 203mm discs, which was the main reason we had to make our own fork.
rps20180207_173222.jpg
rps20180207_173222.jpg (78.53 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
That's a 29x2.1" tire on a 42mm wide rim.

speedmd   100 MW

100 MW

Post by speedmd » Feb 07 2018 9:35pm

Nice! Like the look of the rotors mounted backwards.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Feb 07 2018 9:39pm

speedmd wrote:
Feb 07 2018 9:35pm
Nice! Like the look of the rotors mounted backwards.
Yep. Good thing there are no calipers on it yet.

I'm on the lookout for reasonably priced 8" rotors with a non-directional pattern to prevent the inevitable reverse installation of the symmetrical wheel by end users. Any ideas?

speedmd   100 MW

100 MW

Post by speedmd » Feb 07 2018 9:47pm

Brakco? Closer to a bi directional design. Float points and outer slots not.
https://www.ebay.com/i/282773086090?chn ... 2056669164

speedmd   100 MW

100 MW

Post by speedmd » Feb 07 2018 10:25pm

The Ashima looks to be more symmetrical at the float points.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ashima-Flotor- ... SwEetWAvqN

speedmd   100 MW

100 MW

Post by speedmd » Feb 08 2018 9:57am

Origin looks to be fully symmetrical, but possibly some cbore at the mounting screws. Not sure outer slots on the lower cost option would be a issue. KCNC also with a nice lightweight design. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Origin-8-Speed ... SwVqlaHClC

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Feb 08 2018 11:53am

Thanks for finding these.

speedmd   100 MW

100 MW

Post by speedmd » Feb 08 2018 12:25pm

Chalo wrote:
Feb 08 2018 11:53am
Thanks for finding these.
No problem. Like the idea of dual rotors, have been playing with the idea and glad you posted as we have many near moto requirements here that can test these lightweights out for suitability. Even if you need to get some outer rings water jet'd out a bit more heavy duty, the center hub may become a standard for most here on ES.

Lebowski   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Lebowski » Mar 09 2018 3:16am

Lebowski wrote:
Dec 14 2017 7:56am
I agree with Chalo about rim brakes... I mean disc brakes are getting larger and larger diameter, only a few more years till the disks are as large as the rims.... at which point everyone will realise rim brakes are basically disc brakes with the biggest disk possible.
:shock: just went through the rim...
DSC02093-800x800.jpg
DSC02093-800x800.jpg (104.41 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Mar 09 2018 3:50am

Lebowski wrote:
Mar 09 2018 3:16am
Ha ha, funny timing. I've done that a few times myself and witnessed it countless times on customer ebikes.
There's a reason for disk brakes. But the ultimate solution for ebikes, of course, is GOOD REGEN!!!!
Currently recovering from the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with Grin all-axle front hub, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah Cellman triangle pack
My website: http://www.ebikes.ca
Please contact via email, info@ebikes.ca, rather than PMs, which are disabled

Lebowski   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Lebowski » Mar 09 2018 5:26am

I have good regen :mrgreen: just not on this bike.

This one is a non-ebike which I use 2-3 times a week to climb the local 350 m high hills. Then on the descent I am lightly on the brakes to keep speed around 40 kmh. I am happy that I didnt do a strong brake action, pushing through the rim locking the wheel. I think the wheel has around 20000 km on it...

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Mar 09 2018 1:43pm

Lebowski wrote:
Mar 09 2018 3:16am
Lebowski wrote:
Dec 14 2017 7:56am
I agree with Chalo about rim brakes... I mean disc brakes are getting larger and larger diameter, only a few more years till the disks are as large as the rims.... at which point everyone will realise rim brakes are basically disc brakes with the biggest disk possible.
DSC02093-800x800.jpg
When I lived in Seattle, it seemed like year-round commuters would grind through their rims every year or two. Here in Austin, it only rarely happens, mostly to MTBers who intentionally ride in mud. Seattle's dirt is more abrasive, and it's wet and gritty most of the time.

I can say that in more than 200,000 miles of cycling, mostly with rim brakes, I've never worn out a rim sidewall.

Voltron   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Voltron » Mar 09 2018 2:48pm

From a recent wheel that came in... he was a Canadian transplant and running high psi tires, which seems to be a commonality in the rim failures I've seen.
rimcrack.jpg
rimcrack.jpg (103.32 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
rimcrack2.jpg
rimcrack2.jpg (46.55 KiB) Viewed 1162 times

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Mar 09 2018 3:18pm

I did that in the distant past, running 140psi in 700x28 tires.

I don't exceed pressure ratings anymore; I just use tires that are big enough for the job.

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Mar 09 2018 3:32pm

Odd folks think your rotors are mounted backwards. As a man who has overheated and wadded up a half dozen bicycle brake rotors into a hot mess of steel, I found mounting them they way you did so it pulls on the rotor spokes vs pushing on the rotor spokes enabled them to survive much longer at extreme temps.

Chalo wrote:
Feb 07 2018 8:03pm
Prototyped a new fork today for a super- heavyweight pedicab. We opted for dual 203mm discs, which was the main reason we had to make our own fork.

rps20180207_173222.jpg

That's a 29x2.1" tire on a 42mm wide rim.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

DanGT86   10 kW

10 kW

Post by DanGT86 » Mar 09 2018 4:15pm

Iv'e also always thought rotors should be mounted that way as well. Seems like in the case of a catastrophic rotor failure you would want the "spokes to fold away to a smaller radius rather than growing to a larger radius and stabbing everything. I guess its probably silly to try and apply logic to such a chaotic event.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Mar 09 2018 4:24pm

liveforphysics wrote:
Mar 09 2018 3:32pm
Odd folks think your rotors are mounted backwards. As a man who has overheated and wadded up a half dozen bicycle brake rotors into a hot mess of steel, I found mounting them they way you did so it pulls on the rotor spokes vs pushing on the rotor spokes enabled them to survive much longer at extreme temps.
In the picture, they are backwards relative to their directional markings.

I think the idea is that leading spokes exert an expanding force on the outer ring of the rotor, which helps keep it straight by means of hoop tension. Trailing spokes contract against the outer ring, promoting buckling. I don't know how much of this is founded in test results.

The first disc brakes I owned in the early '90s were Mountain Cycle Pro-Stop 9" full floating cable-hydraulic brakes with hard anodized aluminum rotors. They were labeled specifically to have trailing spokes when mounted, contrary to common practice today.

I figure I'll mount them the way the manufacturer suggests, all the while wondering why more disc rotors don't use a non-directional pattern.

speedmd   100 MW

100 MW

Post by speedmd » Mar 09 2018 5:42pm

liveforphysics wrote:
Mar 09 2018 3:32pm
[/quote]

I have used them both ways for a bit also. Never had a fail. Then I started seeing photos of the fails.

DanGT86   10 kW

10 kW

Post by DanGT86 » Mar 10 2018 12:33am

Wow. I'm not an engineer but as a machinist I dont like anything about that rotor design. In my experience with steel you typically want to avoid sharp corners and avoid thin sections that concentrate heat/stress. That rotor looks like the worst possible design for the heat and loads it would be under. Just eyballing it though.

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Mar 10 2018 7:09pm

Buckling the spokes from compression in a rotor happens way easier than pulling on them until tinsel strength failure.

You really want some offset in the spokes vs being radially arrayed, but just like in a bicycle wheel you want to be pulling on the spokes and with a hub exit offset.

Most bicycle brake rotors I've seen looked like they had artists make the designs to look flashy rather than doing a mechanical stress optimization.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.