Why can't I just bolt on an electric scooter swingarm?

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
azneinstein   100 mW

100 mW

Why can't I just bolt on an electric scooter swingarm?

Post by azneinstein » Jan 31 2017 5:05pm

Alright,
stupid idea time! I'm just curious with products like the Ridekick and with the abundance of Electric scooters with dead batteries, I've seen tons of 48v-72v scooters for less than $300.

Which begs the question, can I just take the hubmotor/rear swingarm off the scooter and have it bolted to either the rear dropouts/frame on both sides. One issue with the push trailer types are either the wheel is too small or there's multiple wheels and increases drag or there's not enough weight in the back to maintain grip.

The single scooter tire/wheel weight should be able to overcome these issues and if you gut it with the original controller, you'd have one of the fastest trailers but not having the weight on your bike.

Stupid idea? Just seeing the hubmonster builds.

Drunkskunk   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Why can't I just bolt on an electric scooter swingarm?

Post by Drunkskunk » Jan 31 2017 10:43pm

not a stupid idea. several people have done it with the larger diameter scooter wheels replacing the back wheel of a bike. John in CR's bike does over 100mph. His monster motor started life as a scooter motor.

Smaller wheel might work on a frame meant for smaller wheels. plenty of 20" wheel adult bikes, like a Dahon folding bike or a BMX stunt bike, would work like this.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Jan 31 2017 10:56pm

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Jan 31 2017 11:14pm

The last e-bike I made for myself was a pusher trailer I made from a kid's tagalong type "half-bike" trailer. I built a 16 inch wheel on an old Wilderness Energy brushed hub motor and put it in the trailer after stripping off all the bike parts.

Even with the weight of the hub motor and 36V battery on the trailer-- which was not terribly light by itself-- the thing struggled to find enough traction. I eventually put a set of big heavy pannier baskets on it to help keep it stuck down, and even then I had to be gentle with the throttle when accelerating.

The only times it was forgiving with wheelspin were when it had plenty of groceries aboard, and at those times shimmy became an issue.

Eventually I horked up either the brushes or commutator, and to be honest I haven't missed the thing since it went offline. I haven't bothered to try fixing it.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Feb 01 2017 7:30am

So you mean make a 5000w pusher trailer? The guys who sell tires will love it.

Put a strong motor on the bike, scooter one if you like, then you can pull a very big or heavy trailer with ease.

This is what I did with this bike. It has a big rear motor, which I run at 2000w because it's all I need to climb large mountains with a loaded trailer.
Aosom trailer.jpg
Aosom trailer.jpg (126.58 KiB) Viewed 709 times